RKO seeks 'Featured Download' contributing writer

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

merman wrote:*seriously*
Give me a few days, Jan, really busy at the moment.
No worries, mate. :)

I've got a really busy week ahead myself.

See you on the flipside.
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

I vote for me, coz gawd knows how much of infamous's crap hes made me listen to and I've always said it wuz good!!!!

(joking lad, now wheres my EFFIN remix!!!) :P
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

Honestly though - Id love a wee job like this, being a scot though I dont know if i'd manage the concise english bit!!! :lol:
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

I vote for me, coz gawd knows how much of infamous's crap hes made me listen to and I've always said it wuz good!!!!

OI!!!!! your heading for a stick of celery round the chops young man and no mistaking!

remix is going through the special (C) infamously infiniteinfinitiniuminonononous machine and will come out the other end in the year 20XX
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! please dont threaten me with healthy foodstuffs!!! I'll shrivel up and die
Jax
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Jax »

"Spider-sense" is registered trademark of Marvel Entertainment Group. Used without permission.
I think you'll get away with that, Jan - I think "Spidey-Sense" is the trademarked phrase...

I'd vote for me on the following grounds:

o I'm English
o I love the 64 remix stuff
o I'm not a remixer (ATM), so I'm entirely unbiased
o I have a bookmark to http://www.m-w.com/

Anyway, I'll mail this to Jan, but here's a concise 'review' of a remix:

Featured Download: The Last Ninja - 2001 Remix, by Glyn R. Brown

"The Last Ninja" has seen many remixes over the years, but none come close to the quality of this offering from Mr. Brown. From the opening phrases portraying warriors commencing battle on a windy plain, through the thumping 'coiled spring' bass and audacious lead to the mellow backing to a piece of wisdom from Sun Tzu, this track is one you *must* have in your collection.

Sadly that's 376 characters, but I would argue the track justifies it :D However, removing the opening sentence praising Glyn, the 'review' comes in at 253 characters...

Is it any good? Or am I just another English guy waffling out of my ass?

(You Scots need not respond - I get enough 'English' insults from my Scottish wife to keep me going! ;))

Jax
LDA #$0F
STA $D418
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

jan, you should hire jax....he could be the one you're searching for.... :wink:

....and RKO need that feature....

cheers ifadeo
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Jax wrote:
"Spider-sense" is registered trademark of Marvel Entertainment Group. Used without permission.
I think you'll get away with that, Jan - I think "Spidey-Sense" is the trademarked phrase...

I'd vote for me on the following grounds:

o I'm English
o I love the 64 remix stuff
o I'm not a remixer (ATM), so I'm entirely unbiased
o I have a bookmark to http://www.m-w.com/

Anyway, I'll mail this to Jan, but here's a concise 'review' of a remix:

Featured Download: The Last Ninja - 2001 Remix, by Glyn R. Brown

"The Last Ninja" has seen many remixes over the years, but none come close to the quality of this offering from Mr. Brown. From the opening phrases portraying warriors commencing battle on a windy plain, through the thumping 'coiled spring' bass and audacious lead to the mellow backing to a piece of wisdom from Sun Tzu, this track is one you *must* have in your collection.

Sadly that's 376 characters, but I would argue the track justifies it :D However, removing the opening sentence praising Glyn, the 'review' comes in at 253 characters...

Is it any good? Or am I just another English guy waffling out of my ass?

(You Scots need not respond - I get enough 'English' insults from my Scottish wife to keep me going! ;))

Jax
I think it's probably wise to avoid comparing this track with other tracks (like your first sentence does). Why?

1) It's sure to be untrue sooner or later (for instance, many would contend that Markus Schneider's recent Last Ninja remix is unfairly treated by that statement)

2) It pisses off the other remixers

3) It takes away from the other positive points about the track.

But, remove the opening sentence as you suggested, and it seems you're just the medicine for Jan :) Not that I'm Jan or anything...

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Jax
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Jax »

Thx for the feedback, Chris.

Perhaps in the opening sentence I should have used the word 'few' instead of 'none'. You're right, of course, that there are a few very good remixes of some of the LN series of tunes. But I'm sure you'd agree that given the sheer number of remixes (fostered by the popularity of the original tunes), that there are more than a few very mediocre mixes kicking around.

I suppose I tried to emphasise (English spelling) how good this particular track is.

I'm not sure what Jan's selection criteria is for a 'Featured Download' (or how the selection is made - by Jan, voting, the reviewer?), but generally speaking if something is selected for it's particular brilliance, then I'd imagine it's worthy of pushing hard...

Seeing as how I chose this track to 'review', perhaps somebody could suggest another tune for me (or other guys) to appraise...?

(Half-time - Man. City 2, Man. Utd. 0 - werhay :D)

Cheers,

Jax
LDA #$0F
STA $D418
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

The 'featured download' section was scrapped around July last year when the site was redesigned (I just never got around to un-sticky this thread) as I'd rather remove it than have a stale list online. And apart from Merman (who had to back out due to time constraints) there haven't really been any serious leads on the vacancy-ad since it was first posted back in October 2003.

I don't mean to disrespect Jax (or anyone else) but anyone can come up with the enthusiasm to write one review. The real question is whether you can keep it up (oh-er, missus) as new tunes are published.

Plus, going almost 50% over budget on the review length isn't really useful (even though you came up with an alternative within ). Since I asked for outside help for this because I don't have time to write the reviews myself, don't expect me to have the time to edit incoming material either.

Anyway, its all moot points since that feature doesn't exist on the site these days. :D
Jax
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Jax »

Ah well, never mind - I tried...

Cheers Jan - if you resurrect the idea at some point I'd be happy to contribute (and restrict myself to the 0xFF limit...)

Maybe we could have a (sticky) thread here instead.

I'm a tad bummed of course, as I could really see myself contributing, but your site is, erm, your site, and you must run it as you see fit... (and you do a sterling job, btw!)

And to be fair, most of the 'die-hards' will download all of the new mixes as they appear, regardless of the smiley that appears beside the track - I know I do :D

If it's not too cheeky, can I ask why you scrapped the idea (assuming you would have a dedicated person who would stay on top of things)...?

Jax :|
LDA #$0F
STA $D418
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

As Jan said, if I had the time I would have done it... but with Retro Gamer back on the shelves, I need my writing time to earn some dosh...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Jax
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Jax »

I don't mean to disrespect Jax (or anyone else) but anyone can come up with the enthusiasm to write one review. The real question is whether you can keep it up (oh-er, missus) as new tunes are published.
I don't feel disrespected - but enthusiasm aside, I'd certainly be up for doing a review on a regular basis - mixes seem to come in at a steady (if slow) rate, so i'd be happy to review each track as it's uploaded. If that appeals, let me know Jan - I'd be neutral, honest and blunt. It might just add something to go along with the current smiley ratings....

I check RKO daily, and I download tracks regardless of the happy/neutral/negative emoticon. A bit of 'blurb' might be interesting...

Jax
LDA #$0F
STA $D418
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Jax wrote:If it's not too cheeky, can I ask why you scrapped the idea (assuming you would have a dedicated person who would stay on top of things)...?
The rotational list was almost staler than a loaf of bread in a LucasFilm adventure, when the site redesign process started. As I still hadn't found anyone up for the job by then, the 'featured' box was simply killed off.
Jax
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Jax »

Makes sense. And to be fair, I bet 99.9% of regular visitors download all tracks as they appear anyway, regardless of whether or not the smiley icon shows it as awesome or 'not so awesome'...

Jax :)
LDA #$0F
STA $D418