Your favorite VSTi's and VST's?

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
TNT
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Your favorite VSTi's and VST's?

Post by TNT »

LMan wrote: <span class="hotdate" style="color:#888;">16/08/2020 - 19:48</span>The Reaktor Player is less hassle than I thought. In my demo tune I had 19 instances of it running; it basically acts like a loader. In my case I set up a Reaktor Player vst in Reason Studio, loaded inSIDious into that. All other instances I just copy+pasted, and it acted like every other instrument. Meaning when you close and open the VST GUI, everything is where you left it.
Ok, that's good. But there's another very disturbing thing about that player. Before you can install the player, you need to install something called "native access". What shitty crap is this? I need to install two unnecessary things before I can install a simple VST? I just want to get a SID VST, and not installing every commercial crap about "native instruments", because I'm simply not interested in their stuff which always needs a player. I guess "native access" is something like a product portal, in which you can manage all your products from native instruments, right? Maybe I should dispense all the inSIDious soundbanks from all the great guys and go with Sidizer, just because the marketing of inSIDious is a catastrophe and Sidizer also can do everything inSIDious can do. But I want as much presets as I can get. I really don't know. Have to think about it another time. Or can I uninstall native access after installing the player and everything will still work without any problems?
LaLa
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by LaLa »

TNT wrote: <span class="hotdate" style="color:#888;">18/08/2020 - 23:38</span>Ok, that's good. But there's another very disturbing thing about that player. Before you can install the player, you need to install something called "native access". What shitty crap is this? I need to install two unnecessary things before I can install a simple VST? I just want to get a SID VST, and not installing every commercial crap about "native instruments", because I'm simply not interested in their stuff which always needs a player. I guess "native access" is something like a product portal, in which you can manage all your products from native instruments, right?
When you want to find and install an app on your Android smartphone, where do you go? Do you download an APK file from a random website and install it yourself? Nope, you go to the Google Play Store. Or if you have an iOS device, you go to Apple's store. Or on Windows 10 these days you go to the Microsoft Store. Or maybe you go to Steam to buy and install your new favorite game.

The problem is, the music industry hasn't really settled on a single "plugin/sample library store" - everybody has their own. Native Instruments has its own store that a lot of third-party developers are using, too (that's Native Access), but Heavyocity also has its own portal app, VSTBuzz created its "Portal" for sample/plugin library management, reFX has its "Nexus Cloud" for Nexus library management, and so on and so forth. Many times the purpose of these stores/apps is not really plugin/lib management per se, but rather licensing (see also: iLok). And until you or somebody else forces a single solution down the industry's throat, we have to live with all this crap if we want to use their products. Of course, you always have the choice of resisting, nothing wrong with that, either. There are plenty of plugins and sample libs available with direct download, too.

To your question, I don't think you absolutely need Native Access - I would be mildly surprised if the free Reaktor player stopped working without it, since I'm fairly certain you can download the Reaktor Player separately from their website, too.
|......|......
|_/\_|_/\_
./~~\/~~\
TNT
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by TNT »

All right, a decision has been made. I'll go with Sidizer. Native Instruments absolutely sucks, even their native access won't work on Windows 10. There's absolutely no way to make the program run, so I can't install the Reaktor player anyway and so I can't use inSIDious. That's the way it is. Like I said, a catastrophe in marketing. The only little chance to make it run is this, but honestly it's a waste of time. I don't want to waste the little time I have with crap. Very annoying!

So again, thank you for recommending Sidizer! :)