CBM printer/rhythm-keeper and ribbon

Forum Games, Funnies and other fun stuff. Post birthday wishes in the appropriate sub-forum.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

CBM printer/rhythm-keeper and ribbon

Post by Commie_User »

An interesting time in the office, reviewing the new ink still on sale after decades.

I may have been little impressed with the blotchy result of this batch but the cabaret options certainly cheered. And just as well for such a great little 8-bit.

`<br />And the diary soundtrack comes bundled complete with authentic CRT hum, plus clacky Commodore keypressing.<br />_
`
And the diary soundtrack comes bundled complete with authentic CRT hum, plus clacky Commodore keypressing.
_
Before_and_After.JPG (135.48 KiB) Viewed 28904 times
Last edited by Commie_User on 17/02/2014 - 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: CBM printer/rhythm-keeper and ribbon

Post by Chris Abbott »

I'll be honest, I don't miss those printers, or large serial/SCSI cables... for me the nostalgia is elsewhere.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

I don't think I'd blame you there. I seem to recall users only bought them because the daisywheels or inkjets they would have liked were still out of reach.

Though I still back the dot matrix printers for cheap listing runoffs or parcel labels. I did read somewhere that, even today, a glass of top wine is far cheaper than a glass of printer ink. And in a like-for-like match, the old printers do a nice job of the back-and-white scans of the old days.

Though I did once enjoy using a Xerox XJ6C inkjet to run off text from the Commie. But it couldn't do graphics as the carriage just stopped there, even with the linefeed command. I found that odd.

But now I am grabbed by the nostalgia. And the varying sounds of different ones.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Thanks Analog. It's amazing they even managed to do that. And I thought samples with the volume register was ingenious enough.

Plenty of people have had a go, with my favourites being Bicycle Made For Two and the incomparable Bohemian Rhapsody, played via an office hardware band.

Wait 'til the end of that one and click MARIO THEME FOR STEPPER MOTOR. Interesting sampling ideas, don't you think? Might try my own motors.

Well, slightly out of sync, but what you expect for old gear? He must have put weeks into that.
Naphta

Post by Naphta »

Hats off! :worship:
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Thank you very much.

Though just you wait 'til you see the rest. There's a mountain of it and I have to say Chris Abbott has borne it all with much patience and fortitude.