Paul Muad'dib

Forum Games, Funnies and other fun stuff. Post birthday wishes in the appropriate sub-forum.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Paul Muad'dib

Post by LMan »

Happy Birthday, wherever you are. ;)
Last edited by LMan on 16/08/2005 - 7:38, edited 1 time in total.
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Kenz »

*thinks* "Could he be the one? *thinks*

HB! :)
New Commercial 8-BIT Games NOW AVAILABLE! - http://www.psytronik.net
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Kenz wrote:*thinks* "Could he be the one? *thinks*

HB! :)
Now you mention it....!
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Watch our for the sandworms...

HB!
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
honorabili
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by honorabili »

I liked his acting better in The Hidden and Blue Velvet. :wink:
tony.rc
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by tony.rc »

Bad luck ahead Paul, you'll end up a blind and flee into the desert. While your sister becomes possessed and your son develops a god complex.

And your mum (Francesca Annis) is so beautiful it almost makes the David Lynch movie worth it. :D
Chrome - keeping the Aussie scene alive
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Hey, the Lynch film rocks. :)

A bit different than the book, but it works better than the first 3 parts of the miniseries. (especially the Baron) :D
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Three cheers for my fave film of all time.... "Dune"
tony.rc
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by tony.rc »

I love the atmosphere of Lynch's Dune, if only the Harkonnens were not protrayed as crazy megalomaniacs when they are really calculating and malicious. Futhermore it wasted time, which could have been used to tell the story correctly. I hate how they killed-off Duncan Idaho, fabricated an extra House Harkonnen member and the lame rain ending. The Alan Smith release of Dune in some areas is an improvement but overall the invention of the wierding modules lets the movie down like the official release. If only they just exploded the fact that the Freman are tough for the same reason as the Sardaukar (of Salusa Secundus) due to their harsh planetary environment. That said I have both David Lynch (19:6) and Alan Smith (4:3) versions on DVD.

As for the Dune mini-series, I thought it was very dull although quite true to the book it lacked boldness, creativity and a likeable cast. However the follow-up series was an excellent combination of Dune Messiah and Children of Dune novels. I was hoping they were going continue the series with God Emperor of Dune.
Last edited by tony.rc on 13/05/2005 - 3:57, edited 1 time in total.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

I partly agree with your critical points on Dune, especially the thing about the Rain in the end. The smithee version has some nice additions, except that I can't stand the announcer. :D

I fully agree with everything you said about both minis, CoD was great. I found it remakable how the actor playing Paul could improve his acting so much from one series to the other. What also annoyed me greatly was the visualisation of the first mini. The weird theatre-stage lighting, and the fancy costumes... and the death of Duncan was much much worse than it was in the Lynch movie.

Anyhow, nice to see some Dune discussion in here. :)
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Kenz »

The David Lynch version of Dune is one of my fave movies - a few dodgy moments in there (but most movies suffer from that!)

The first recent mini-series was massively overlong and dull IMHO - but the second one looks more promising. I've only seen a few clips but there's a great bit where they capture a worm! :)

I actually got into Dune thanks to the Dune2 game on the Amiga. Totally fell in love with the story after playing that to death. There was a nice Dune game on the PC too - an early CD-ROM game with fantastic music (not CD audio, early soundcard stuff) - which I have as mp3s of course. Might sneak one into Zundays Z-Show if I remember! :)
New Commercial 8-BIT Games NOW AVAILABLE! - http://www.psytronik.net
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Another Dune fan here, got the Alan Smithee version on DVD recently.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
tony.rc
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by tony.rc »

I'm sure that it was the pre-history 10191 introduction and removing the original narration done by Princess Irulan (Virginia Madsen) that resulted in David Lynch replacing his name with Allan Smithee. Quite honestly I could agree with Lynch on this, after all in the book Princess Irulan is kinda a third person that provides insight into the Dune universe. I like the extra scenes of the Allan Smithee release (from a fan prespective) but it does little to clear-up the confusion to an average watcher.

Since this is a remix site, I have to mention the atmospheric music of Tito and Brain Eno in Lynch's Dune.

By the way, I'm yet to read the new additions to Dune series after Frank Herbert's death.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

tony.rc wrote: Since this is a remix site, I have to mention the atmospheric music of Tito and Brain Eno in Lynch's Dune.
Ooh yes. Great soundtrack.
tony.rc wrote: By the way, I'm yet to read the new additions to Dune series after Frank Herbert's death.
It's a love-em or hate-em kind of thing. I've read them all and I must say I love them. Don't expect Frank-Herbert style though, it's a more direct and less epic approach to the Duniverse, and it contains a few unforgiveable inconsistencies, too. So it's not really on par with the original Dune Chronicles, but an enjoyable read nevertheless.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Check out this site for Dune-Prequel discussion:

http://houseatreides.com/