America - its an odd place!

Forum Games, Funnies and other fun stuff. Post birthday wishes in the appropriate sub-forum.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Re: America - its an odd place!

Post by tas »

wazzaw wrote:
Tas wrote: Strange as this may seem, i got refused beer the other day for being under 21.
Now that is funny. I couldn't believe you actually got refused! As I'm the same age (33) I'd probably get refused too. D'oh!

Just don't fall foul of each individual state's different laws while you're over there!
yeah, very amusing... i actually pulled out a photo of my two kiddies and said.."I think the younger one in this picture is nearest to your age and thats my 5 year old son".

I shut up after that, these police have BIG pea shooters and i don't want to upset them too much ;)
tony.rc
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by tony.rc »

What freaked me out is that Americans (I was with in Virginia) did not lock their doors when they were not home? :shock:

Sure I can leave my doors unlocked because I live in safe neighbourhood but I would not chance it! Though I have by mistake left my keys in the door. :oops:
Chrome - keeping the Aussie scene alive
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

<b>Public Transport</b>
Or the lack of it... Unless your in a very large town or more likely a city then you can forget catching a bus or a tram - there simply are no services. While if you own a Car in europe it's very advantageous in the US it's essential.

<b>no fenses, no gates, erm.. no sidewalks/pavements</b>
Most of the houses are open plan meaning there is no fence, hedge or even a front gate to the majority of houses. Infact mostly there's no path either.. To get from A to B means risking life and limb by walking on the hard shoulder or road itself.

<b>Cars stop for no apparent reason</b>
You stand on the side of the road not even at a crossing and its amasing just how many cars will stop to let you cross.

<b>Americans don't give head </b>
Your pint comes with ZERO head and looks as flat as a pancake and is poured from the pump in a matter of 2 seconds. In the uk it generally takes 10-15 seconds for your pint glass to be filled with a half inch head. In the US, no head, bear glass filled in 2 seconds.

I'm sure i'll have more oddities before i leave.. this is one very very different world.
MFE
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by MFE »

Words you shouldn't confuse in the US of A:

Thongs: In Australia, they are things you wear on your feet. In the US of A, those are called flip-flops. Thongs in the US of A are underpants with a think butt-strap. Here in Australia, those are called cheek-splitters.

Fanny: In America, your behind is called your fanny. As opposed to here in Australia, where a fanny is a girl's genitalia.

Diaper: There are no nappies in the USA. Only diapers. A nappy in the USA is a napkin.
-

"Television is a medium. It is so called because for the most part it is not rare, and not well done." - MFE
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Actually the first instance is the same in the UK.
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Tas wrote:<b>Americans don't give head </b>
Well, i guess they do.... :)
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

steady on old chap ;)
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Post by beyond »

Beer and Medicine
When I lived in San Diego, at one point I got the flu. I found out that the local farmacist was three isles of different kinds of medicine in a supermarket. So I tried to locate this anti-flu product called Contact, which I couldn't since it was indexed under K, naturally. Leaving the store I found a type of weiss beer that I really liked so I grabbed a sixpack of that. I had to leave that six-pack because I did not have my passport with me... Couldn't convince them I was 30... but I left with sedatives strong enough to kill a horse.
In another supermarket I had to show my passport every time I bought beer - even though it was the same person behind the cash register. She knew who I was, but since supermakets and bars get fined around $10,000 and loose their liquor license and people loose their jobs, I had to be checked throughout my whole stay.
Later on I found a more liberal supermarket where I could be bottles of whisky and beer and never shoved them any kind of ID... Wierd coutry!

Several times people tried to guess my age. The lowest was 23 and highest was 27. I guess people in California just grow older by the looks faster :)

Getting a driver's license
Tourists can use their European license during their three months stay, sure, no big deal. Being a resident in California you need to have a driver's license, since you can only use your license the first 10 days! Getting the actual card takes 8 months... I was there for 7.

Getting your car stolen
I had my rented car (read: an old wreck) stolen at some point and it was found one week later just south of the border, completely stripped. I had to file the theft to the local police. They never asked for my driver's license, and they never reported back to me.
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Hey, San Diego! Been there for three months at Westpoint Loma, visiting friends (uhm... 1992 or so?). Nice town but without your own car you are very limited... no wide latitude to act.
All is lost.