24 Bit Graphics SUCK ! - Koala ROOLZ !

Forum Games, Funnies and other fun stuff. Post birthday wishes in the appropriate sub-forum.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

24 Bit Graphics SUCK ! - Koala ROOLZ !

Post by Matrix »

This graphic says so...

What would C64 graphics look like if the little beast was capable of kicking out PC resolutions ?
Click HERE n' find out.

Viewing Res: Minimum 1024x768 (with F11 on yer browser) - Ideally 1280x1024
Last edited by Matrix on 22/05/2008 - 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Re: 24 Bit Graphics SUCK !

Post by trace »

D*MN! that was nice, is that really possible on a c64 without hardware tweaking? :D

The webdesign is great also :D Remind me of my c64 web page, but this is much nicer :D
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Re: 24 Bit Graphics SUCK !

Post by Matrix »

I seriously doubt it. It has the right 16 colours, but you'd have to do away with the 3 cols+1bg col in each char area, PLUS ramp up the output resolution, and increase the ram, most of those pictures are getting on for twice the ram in a C64. No I think you would need to do some tweeking. That said, I know the 64 has come a long way, a new OS for example which expands the capability of a 64 - Wheels:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheels_(operating_system)

Which, of course, requires an upgrade before you can use it, but a quick 30second scan of the sites screenshots doesn't reveal any demos of a 64/128 running in a 16 col high res environment. Perhaps I've hit on something there and there's someone who might have a bash at fixing these shortcomings - if possible. It would certainly open up more creative possibilities for existing fan bases. Demos for example.

http://www.studiostyle.sk/dmagic/gallery/gfxmodes.htm

There may though be a way - emulation - how about making the C64 OS, or Wheels for that matter - run, but allow the PC to set the resolution ? - the only thing to fix then would be the colour restrictions ! - instead of making a faithful emulator - how about making one that will allow access to your pc's CPU, RAM & Video resolutions - in otherwords, as you would have it, instead of how it is. In essence, a Super64 - it'll probably be halfway to being an Amiga emulator by that point, technically, which kind of puts a spanner in the works. But wouldn't it be ace to have just SOME of the technical restrictions lifted so we can get on with a new found creativity ? - not so much as to drastically alter it, but just enough for us to have yet more fun with... for example, the same SID emulation, but with 8ch or 16ch instead :)

Imagine the possibilities, maybe even make this a challenge call to all those techy-demo writers out there - surely someone out there, pushing the boundaries of the hardware has the ability to work it all out ?

The Challenge then:
Super64 (CPU access in emulation so it never needs to slow down, but remains a consistent 64 speed)
8 or 16 ch SID emulation
PC resolutions allowed BUT staying with the official 16 cols - and get rid of that IFLI interlace crap.
Access to say - 1gig of RAM
And bundle a few apps with it for creativity purposes that work with the new tweeks
:)

I doubt it will happen, so for now - just enjoy the site and bask in what COULD have been.
StormKeeper
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Re: 24 Bit Graphics SUCK ! - Koala ROOLZ !

Post by StormKeeper »

Sounds like an interesting concept. And I'd say it'd definately increase the flow of creativity, especially as people are still finding creative ways to get around the C64's limitations.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I was doing this type of thing, using Paint Shop Pro with a custom color pallet from the C64, and than utilizing different types of Dithering to get that C64 Look but with Higher Resolution.

Would be cool to do this work and than have it converted to comply with C64 Display Rules and display on a real c64.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Dithering on the 64 (at least in the pack I used to work with (vidcom64) unable to find screenshot) was a matter of flavour with the artist and done manually, I doubt any dithering setting on paint shop pro will get you that authentic feel, but I have seen some pretty close attemps. For all the converted pics here I didn't use dithering, I just let the software do it's own thing when converting the colours. Like you say though, It'd be lovely to have a plugin that did this for your and followed the rules.

This was about the best available imho, but I never owned it.
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

I look at the low res pics and even see the flicker ;)

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

LOL, need a new monitor Dan ;)
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

<<<<impressed