Notebook acting like a radiator? Summer tip of the day.

Forum Games, Funnies and other fun stuff. Post birthday wishes in the appropriate sub-forum.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Notebook acting like a radiator? Summer tip of the day.

Post by LMan »

Hi all,

just wanted to share this... is your Notebook acting like a radiator, bursting hot air into the room while it's already damn hot anyway?

In my case, simply using a vacuum cleaner on all the ventilation holes and the keyboard worked a mircacle. The additional use of a CPU limiter software reduced the noise to zero and the heat to a minimum. 8)
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Re: Notebook acting like a radiator? Summer tip of the day.

Post by Vosla »

BUT check the cooling fans (if there are any) for clogged dust bunnies that were sucked into the fan. Kills off components in a matter of few minutes.
I wrote this because my boss almost killed his PC by vacuum cleaning it. The GPU fan was clogged and broke down so the GPU ceased working and the machine did a emergency powerdown.

Another point is people using their laptop in bed or on other soft surfaces - don't do that! It hinders air flow a LOT!

Do you hear popping sounds when the machine is hot? Check electrolytic capacitors with the cross mark on top on the mainboard - if that surface is cracked, the capacitor is damaged; this triggers random malfunctions and shutdowns and might also kill other components.
All is lost.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Re: Notebook acting like a radiator? Summer tip of the day.

Post by LMan »

:shock:

Thanks for the hint man. I guess I'm lucky, I'm vacuum-cleaning my computers since owning my first c64.