C64: Mass Effect

Forum Games, Funnies and other fun stuff. Post birthday wishes in the appropriate sub-forum.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Re: C64: Mass Effect

Post by Commie_User »

Good luck and have nice SIDding
I've been doing one or two things as you know. :)

M64 is more my program for MIDI work but who knows what I could rustle up. And as assemblers are my least favourite, bringing in a pre-made MIDI doodle would help me plenty. And piano roll DAW work would make it so easy to split the chords across the channels. I'll also look forward to playing with software to convert humming to MIDI, removing the keyboard middleman when getting my flashes of inspiration in.

To everyone still making the C64 gear and software, you're the tops. 8)
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Ripping tunes is simple enough, and if you don't know what you are looking for in the code or are in a rush throw whatever tune you want from the hvsc into sidplay and that tells you the tune location, init and play address.

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

I love HVSC and have enjoyed many a tune. Just sometimes I like one or two bits I can't find there, or HVSC's copy of a game theme wouldn't include the sound effects. I've really fancied one or two noises in the past but couldn't isolate them in the real game.

It's not all that important really but it could be another nice thing to know how to do. (As long as there's a GUI.)
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Kate-Z wrote:I created the "loading screen" and after talking to my twitter mob about what the C64 game might be like (300 floppy disks?) I hypothesized that it would 360 scrolling/flipscreen overhead rpg of the Ultima/Times of Lore ilk. With a LOT of multi-load..
Hmmm. A huge game could now be on SD card. They cost peanuts and homebrewers now make the interfaces.

I've seen compilations on SD card sold at Ebay recently. The thought of such a jump isn't very far, just so long as the 64 can access the immense root folder rather than have to mount 171K disk images each segment. You just need the programmers insane or genius enough to attempt the actual game.
NecroPolo
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by NecroPolo »

Commie_User wrote:
Good luck and have nice SIDding
I've been doing one or two things as you know. :)
Of course, I meant it with SIDwizard :) It's a really nice little program and I found it extremely efficient. At the moment I'm creating sound FX and tunes with it for some future releases and it's workflow spared me more time that I'd like to admit :)

Humming converter could be very handy for "ear" players. Using a keyboard or a guitar to feed the note I'm hearing is faster to me after all these years but I absolutely hear ya as a composer, getting there to become an instrumentalist took all those years. Back in time, composing with a method like that would come as a blessing to me.

You're damn right, it's amazing what folks still create on / for C64. SW developer Hermit himself is a great programmer and he is very open for constructive ideas so if you have anything useful to add to the development, don't hesitate to contact him.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

You're damn right, it's amazing what folks still create on / for C64.
And the other computers too. Between my cheap 64s, Amigas, STs and PCs, I have the spread of spreads, can arrange and produce good tunes yet still find conventional knowledge hard to pick up. I still can't even remember anything on paper. (Yes I do... ah, no I don't.)

Audio-to-MIDI is great, harking back to a principle used on the Fairlight. Ace for capturing the music of an easy hum. But I still love taking the tune of an idea and then performing it on something like this:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 7a7b242ec1

That was in a junk shop the other day for just twenty Pounds. I don't mind showing it off.

With all this accumulated wealth, are we not the chosen people? I should say so.
wolverine871

Post by wolverine871 »

I really like the style. Looks really authentic! Would you mind to share your code for creating the overscan patterns ?