Don't throw out those creaky old power supplies...

Forum Games, Funnies and other fun stuff. Post birthday wishes in the appropriate sub-forum.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Don't throw out those creaky old power supplies...

Post by Commie_User »

..You can bung them in PCs as an emergency stopgap when the old PSUs wear out. They're good for powering C64s too.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 401&type=1

My handyman PC now became exhausted when the full slate of bits were all plugged in, so I jammed in an extra 200 watt supply to share the workload. I was sick of the mouse pointer juddering down the screen all by itself or my USB MIDI stalling. The hiccups haven't totally disappeared, though I can have more USB gear plugged in than I used to before they start.

It's called making the most of all your old crap. I suspect that's half the reason we keep all our Commodores fit and healthy.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/22

Well, it's not bad for a dumped computer rescued from death a few times.
Well, it's not bad for a dumped computer rescued from death a few times.
Power boost - and it's still a bit tired.jpg (75.75 KiB) Viewed 23079 times
Last edited by Commie_User on 14/09/2012 - 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Re: Don't throw out those creaky old power supplies...

Post by Analog-X64 »

I saw this system and thought of you :)
http://tinyurl.com/94lpcvj <--- DRACO CUBE: the Last, Best, and Ultimate Classic Amiga Clone
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Don't throw out those creaky old power supplies...

Post by Commie_User »

Thanks.

Mouth-watering stuff at a mouth-drying price. Looks like it's Amiga Forever if I want to have a go with that kind of power.

-------------------------------------

Pretty good isn't it. The still-weak PSU I left in (now swapped) corrupted the old hard disk, but even that's a benefit as the new one has acres more space, so acres more plugins to install. (And the old one's still fine to plug into the USB).

Spares to the rescue again as two tame old PSUs come together for a combined power of 450W, which is much better to handle drives, Sound Blaster Live and Delta 66, I/O, CPU power, USB MIDIs, keyboards, mice, IDE interfaces and video capture as I like. And good anyway for a half decade-old roadside PC when I first saw it. Yeah, love it.
Spares to the rescue again as two tame old PSUs come together for a combined power of 450W, which is much better to handle drives, Sound Blaster Live and Delta 66, I/O, CPU power, USB MIDIs, keyboards, mice, IDE interfaces and video capture as I like. And good anyway for a half decade-old roadside PC when I first saw it. Yeah, love it.
Surgery.jpg (150.69 KiB) Viewed 23023 times

Nice little story. And we took in an Amiga along the way. Not bad for a couple of days.

Fun though. Long as it's all still free and dispensable and I've got my finger on the problem.