Matt Gray "Reformation" Kickstarter

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Ninja Sounds
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Re: Matt Gray "Reformation" Kickstarter

Post by Ninja Sounds »

Ahriakin wrote:Just a suggestion for a relatively easy to supply stretch goal - access to 24bit versions of the tracks (FLAC presumably, like you had on Bandcamp for the LN2 piece). Of course you could include it for the existing levels, need I mention it's nearly Xmas ;).
Loving what I'm hearing so far and very happy to be backing it.
Hi Ahriakin. Glad you like the tracks so far. Everyone backing at £15 or more will have access to full quality downloads anyway. :) Matt
Ahriakin
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Ahriakin »

So 'full quality' = 24bit? Brilliant, thanks :)
Monty
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Monty »

Ninja Sounds wrote:Yes, it will include the epic melody break
Hi Matt,

that's brilliant news, thanks for clarifying.
Can't wait for it to happen! :rock:

Cheers, Monty
ice00

Post by ice00 »

There are 15 hours left now.

Actually more than 70K is reached, so only 5K to unlock the last CD item and more remixes.

So far there are (I hope to not miss something):
30 Matt Gray remake tracks, 6 new SIDs, a Sanxion remake, an Arcade Classics remake, a Green Beret Loader remake, a mystery Hubbard remake, a mystery Chris Huelsbeck remake, a Rambo First Blood Part 2 Loader remake and a Matt Gray track remade by Chris Huelsbeck: and maybe more tracks to come!

Last Ninja 2 CD backers get 13 more tracks on top of that!

Else there are 2 backers that will choose a SID to be remixed by Matt (3 more chances are available) and one backer that will have his personal new tune for a game/movie (another one is available) :)

Last chance to back http://goo.gl/fSsE3J
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

And it's finished, with everyone getting what they wanted... total win!
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

Chris Abbott wrote:And it's finished, with everyone getting what they wanted... total win!
Yes, fantastic. A big thank you to you Chris for all your 'behind the scenes' work, it's great all goals were reached.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Thanks, it was a heck of ride, and a great learning experience! Matt was a pleasure to work with, and made lots of very shrewd decisions which really paid off.
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Woo-hoo ! Yes, a fantastic effort by all. I'm sure Matt genuinely is blown away by the level of support. So yes, everyone is getting what they wanted, and I'm very happy to see that, but can I ask Chris Abbott why the dramatic change of heart towards this kickstarter programme ? Initially you seemed very down on this project, certainly from the perspective of it being a kickstarter campaign (re: your post featuring the futurama cast). Since the project quickly garnered support you then seemed to jump on board becoming it's biggest supporter, lending enthusiasm which no doubt helped it reach the staggering stretch targets. I do hope a small percentage of the proceeds will go to Rob and Martin for the covers of their tracks, and perhaps perk their interest in doing something similar. By the way, are the rights to Matts work held by yourself or Matt...just curious.

I can see why some don't like it (Kickstarter). It's a bit of a lottery when it comes to successes and failures. Even here there will be some people moan about "the choices of tracks remixed" or the "style of remix xx wasn't to my liking" but hopefully most people view this service as a great way to gauge project interest and funds...I do confess I kept refreshing in the last couple of hours, it was almost like watching a bid on e-bay - lol.
By the way Matt, I backed Chris Huelsbecks sheet music project too, and would never have known about it was it not for your kickstarter. SO - result all round!
Well done one and all and now we wait....
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Well, I was working with Matt from before day 1, but initially there was a lot of doubt in my mind as to how things would pan out, based mostly on the pretty dreadful sales history of C64 albums from 2004 onwards: it seemed like nothing might be able to turn that ship around, not even Matt's legendary sonic abilities. And it's helpful to do all your pessimism before launching a Kickstarter than during or after.

The big turning point for me emotionally was when Matt released Last Ninja Central Park Loader on Soundcloud: at that point it seemed like Matt had a chance of defying gravity and turning this into a thing. I also talked to a lot of fans before that happened to sound them out, though much of the project was based on Matt's own quiet self-confidence (which obviously turned out to be well justified!)

Even after LN2, there was some doubt as to whether people would put their hands in their pockets, so it was still a leap of faith. However, Matt keeps reminding me that his initial gut feeling about the project was pretty much on the nail.So maybe I just brought him down ;-)
Ninja Sounds
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Ninja Sounds »

Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone on the remix64 forum who showed great enthusiasm and interest in my remake Kickstarter project when I first mooted the idea on here just a few months ago. I was pleased to receive a warm welcome here and now I'm very pleased with how many people showed huge interest in supporting the idea and backing it.

I would say that it was actually Chris's idea originally, almost 2 years ago now. It took me a long time to finally take the plunge and actively plan the project and it's fairly strange to think that it was just the 1st of September this year when I got my first Twitter follower and just a few days later the first Facebook likes for the fan page. And just 93 days later the project was funded with all stretch goals met. Chris put in a lot of time,thought and effort and there were many email exchanges and meetings in which ideas were formed and either carried through or thrown away. We had some very useful advice from the guys at Sound Of Games and Jan Zottmann who like those guys also played a role in Chris Huelsbeck's phenomenal Turrican Kickstarter. And then further down the line Chris introduced me to Sam Dyer who was not only a fan of my music but also a successful Kickstarter creator himself and again was able to make some excellent suggestions, not to mention design me some great assets for the page.

But in addition to all the above, Chris will be the first to tell you that whilst I often need people to bounce ideas off or take their opinion on board, I had to make some fairly drastic decisions and last minute changes to the "plan". I knew that not many people would be confident to get involved if I couldn't demonstrate just what I could do with my original C64 stuff, so the Central Park Loader became a hugely significant idea. And then late on in the day The Sanxion Loader was potentially a huge risk at such a late stage. It could have been universally panned and ruined any further support, but by that stage I genuinely wanted all backers to get the full deal even if it mean't a lot more work for me.

I think there will always be some c64 music lovers who won't like what I do or how I remake things, but I think my project succeeded because I made sure I played to my core set of fans rather than trying to please everyone. I love it when I get great responses to my tracks and remakes and it makes it all worthwhile. So hopefully when it's all delivered, all my backers will get pretty much what they signed up for. And that will make me very happy and satisified.

Best wishes

Matt