New SID to MIDI conversion tool

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
M3wP
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Re: New SID to MIDI conversion tool

Post by M3wP »

Alright...

I've added the ability to control the pitch bend range. You can now specify after how many semitones legato should be used (which also controls the pitch bend range).

I'm working on converting Artillery by Geir Tjelta (41 instruments detected and all of them "melodic"!) and its made a huge difference because there are large bends that have to be very precise. I just set the "legato after" to 1 semitone and voila! Very accurate bends now.

Also, I now use the Legato switch controller for the legatos. If you specifically turned on Legato for a patch, it should have worked before because the notes should be overlapping but now its specified with the controller as well.

I'll upload shortly.

Daniel.
M3wP
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by M3wP »

Hrmm...

I've made a few "quality" improvements. Most notably, I've added the "Legato Extras" feature which, when used, tries to improve the quality of the output legatos. I noticed a few issues with them and this addresses those issues. You probably want to keep this feature on for lead instruments and perhaps turn it off where there are "dithered" instruments (such as they do with bass lines quite a bit to include some kind of percussion).

I've also withdrawn the pitch bend rounding residuals functionality. I think it was probably a crazy idea. The damage is already done with any considerable rounding issue and so its pointless trying to account for it.

I must point out that using a "Legato After" of 1 is not going to work out all of the time. I've noticed that for some patches, it is still better to use a higher value. This can be due to a few factors but mostly you should note that in the MIDI there is effectively another pitch bend being added by a legato. This can end up sounding strange. Unfortunately, legatos are something that I will have to rely on in the MIDI because the standard is to allow only up to 24 semitones in a pitch bend and it seems that most SIDs use much more than this.

I think the application is quite usable now. It should function quite adequately for general use.

Daniel.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Great to see this a new SID to Midi tool :) will check it out. I've been using Ear to Midi ;)
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
M3wP
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by M3wP »

Whoops... Fixed another regression bug.

@Analog-X64: Thanks. Good to hear there may be another user. I'd love to hear your feedback.

Daniel.
M3wP
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by M3wP »

Heyas!

I have now got working 32 bit versions of XSID Play and XSID To MIDI on Linux. I hope to have MacOS versions very soon. I will upload them all once they are done.

I am in the process of working on the SID Convert application, too.

Daniel.
M3wP
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by M3wP »

*Whew*

I've consolidated the code base and now have support for 32 bit (x86) Linux for all but MIDIToSID (which I will fix soon) and XSIDList (soon to be released).

I haven't got any new progress on the MacOS port. If anyone is able to look into this, I'd be willing to provide as much help as I can. I presently don't have a Mac so am unable to do the port myself. It should be relatively simple to do, however.

I'll be attempting to port to 64 bit (x64) shortly.

Enjoy!

Daniel.
M3wP
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by M3wP »

Heyas!

> I'll be attempting to port to 64 bit (x64) shortly.

I've fixed the problems preventing a 64 bit compilation. I'm working on building the tools in 64 bits.

I also found that my documentation is missing some vital hints.

I'll update the repository shortly. I need a few hours break, first.

Daniel.
M3wP
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by M3wP »

> I'll update the repository shortly. I need a few hours break, first.

Alrighty!

Platform x64 is now supported for Linux and Windows.

I must mention that I realised that I have compiled Windows versions with support for OpenAL. If you don't have it installed, you won't have any troubles AFAIK, so long as you don't try to use it. But this is unconfirmed. If someone could test this for me, I'd be very happy.

On the other hand, it bugs me that it could be a problem, so I'll probably fix it and remove the support for OpenAL on Windows.

Daniel.
M3wP
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by M3wP »

> On the other hand, it bugs me that it could be a problem, so I'll probably
> fix it and remove the support for OpenAL on Windows.

I realised I should test it myself and yes, it is a problem. Damn.

I'll compile Windows versions without support for OpenAL in the standard distribution.

Apologies!

Daniel.
M3wP
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by M3wP »

Done.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Oooh.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

This looks really good. I wish there was a simple Windows binary download though...
M3wP
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by M3wP »

But there is? In the Distribution directory?

I know there is some way of setting up the repository differently and have a nice downloader thing but I don't know how to do it.

I am considering putting the binaries in an archive instead of individually.

Daniel.
M3wP
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by M3wP »

Okay, I'm putting the binaries into an archive. I'm just going to use 7Zip format. Is that okay or do I really need to use Zip as well?

It seems I'd need to pay for the upgraded GitHub repository and that's not happening right now.

Daniel.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Oh, I didn't see that. Even though I actually have a Github account, I never know where to look. 7zip is fine these days.