Mysterious Copyright Claims and Stolen Amiga Remix tracks

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Aknotronic
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Mysterious Copyright Claims and Stolen Amiga Remix tracks

Post by Aknotronic »

Hi guys,

I received a youtube copyright claim earlier today on one of my youtube videos. The video consists of some screenshots from the Amiga game SWIV with my own SWIV remix playing in the background "SWIV - (Decemation Remix)". The claim was that the music was owned by an artist called "Amiga DJ's". I rejected the copyright claim instantly with the argument that the music used in the video was my own production, and as I do not monitize any of my videos I belived the claim to be invalid.

When I got home I investegated further to who this "Amiga DJ's" was. And to my supprise he showed up on Spotify with a lot of tracks to show for. I quickly found the SWIV track and played it to see what was up. And lo and behold, the SWIV track was my remix of the SWIV tune...

I uploaded the remix here on amigaremix.com back in 2017.
http://amigaremix.com/remixes/search/swiv

Here is "Amiga DJ's" Spotify album "Amiga Forever" with at least one stolen track (My guess is that all the tracks are stolen):
https://open.spotify.com/album/0U61DfFPOAifByebE9jS0r

What would be the best way to combat this scammer?
Mano-
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Re: Mysterious Copyright Claims and Stolen Amiga Remix tracks

Post by Mano- »

It's possible that every song is from AmigaRemix.com. I just did some comparisons and found some quite quickly.

Agony = [ 2009-10-3 / Agony Intro remake By NEOX ]
Lost Patrol = [ 2009-01-08 / Lost Patrol Remix By Dj Tom ]
Guitar Slinger Classic = [ 2016-10-14 / Guitar Slinger (Armandox 2015 Remake) By Armandox ]
Jim Power = [ 2010-05-21 / Jim Power - Sacred Forest by Char7ie ]
Risky Woods = [ 2016-06-14 / Risky Woods Menu Track - Remake by Szymon Ilich ]
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

Looks to me like the music was registered with Tunecore by something called BYCSM 2019. Tunecore upload to all the major music sites.

Tunecore's copyright claim system is here; https://support.tunecore.com/hc/en-gb/a ... ght-claim-
Aknotronic
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Aknotronic »

Just an update to this. A couple of weeks after I send the rejection of the copyright claim, the copyright claim disapeared. I dident get any information or explanation just *poof* copyright claim gone.
Pakz
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Pakz »

When I bought my ipad I started looking at the itunes store. I bought a 8bit amiga album and I noticed several tracks were kind of familiar. They turned out to be old midi remakes/remixes that I made and put on vgmusic.com long ago. I think only the instruments were changed. There is a series of albums from that person being sold of where the tracks are edits from music from vgmusic.com. The albums are on different platforms also.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

*sigh*
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
psyman

Post by psyman »

I uploaded a video on Youtube of a Commodore 64 games called Frantic Freddie and immediately got a copyright claim notice. I have disputed the claim (it was to do with the title music which is a sid chip version of crazy little thing called love), but do you think I have done the right thing? I am quite new to this Youtube stuff.
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

psyman wrote: <span class="hotdate" style="color:#888;">30/01/2022 - 14:29</span> I uploaded a video on Youtube of a Commodore 64 games called Frantic Freddie and immediately got a copyright claim notice. I have disputed the claim (it was to do with the title music which is a sid chip version of crazy little thing called love), but do you think I have done the right thing? I am quite new to this Youtube stuff.
That depends on who claimed it, and whether they were authorised to do so.
psyman

Post by psyman »

C64GLeN wrote: <span class="hotdate" style="color:#888;">30/01/2022 - 17:06</span>
psyman wrote: <span class="hotdate" style="color:#888;">30/01/2022 - 14:29</span> I uploaded a video on Youtube of a Commodore 64 games called Frantic Freddie and immediately got a copyright claim notice. I have disputed the claim (it was to do with the title music which is a sid chip version of crazy little thing called love), but do you think I have done the right thing? I am quite new to this Youtube stuff.
That depends on who claimed it, and whether they were authorised to do so.
It says Sony Music - but surely they cant be worried about a sid version of part of a Queen song?
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

psyman wrote: <span class="hotdate" style="color:#888;">30/01/2022 - 19:24</span> It says Sony Music - but surely they cant be worried about a sid version of part of a Queen song?
It'll be an automated claim, but Content ID goes allow copyright owners to claim against cover versions that don't have a Mechanical or Synchronisation license. I've got no how a claim against a video of an almost 40-year old game using an unlicensed cover version would work.
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Another one of these? This thread has more examples of the same kind of shady stuff:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10437
Check out my website.
psyman

Post by psyman »

I have edited and re-uploaded the video to remove the music which generated the claim.
I am adding more videos to my channel of me playing retro games - I've no intention of monetising them, its just for fun.
Any ideas how I can avoid these sorts of copyright claims in the future?