Music on Remix64

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Klar64

Music on Remix64

Post by Klar64 »

Hello you guys on Remix64.

I was poking round to find out about the music here but have not been able to find an answer. :duh:

My daughter does a bit of pokemon youtube videos and likes to have some backround music going.
Searching for some tunes to use i find a guy asking on this forum about kinda the same for some phone-waiting-music.

Wanting to be crystal clear on it - would it actually be legal for her to use some of these tracks in her videos? or would there be legal things comming her way :confusion:
Some of these tracks sound sooooooo good and would be cool to use.
She would ofcorse credit the author of the music and such. :cheers:
Pakz
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Re: Music on Remix64

Post by Pakz »

On the main page of amigaremix.com, at the bottom, it is stated that you should contact the arranger to ask for permission. You can click on the arranger name for that song to be directed to the contact page.
poke16384
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by poke16384 »

Chris (Abbott) can probably give you absolute clarity on the legal side of this...

Speaking from experience and as a musician, C64 composer, remixer, etc.. Most composers here, seem really happy to have their compositions, remixes & covers, used by others with a few conditions..

1). That you contact them and ask...
2). That you credit them for the music..

and

3). That you are NOT making money from their remix, cover, composition.

Since all of the compositions on 'Remix64', (and Amigaremix) are cover versions of SID, (or Amiga) compositions, the copyright for the original pieces still remains with the original composer also.

Obviously, you can post 'cover-version' music on YouTube. There are many thousands already on there with seemingly no issues. I've got several on there myself. The temptation to avoid, is if & when YouTube tells you, you have enough hits to 'Monetize' the video and you agree to having adverts in the video. That's when, (IMHO) you get into murky water with the copyrights, etc...

Chris ??
It's all about the notes, where you put 'em, what you do with 'em and how long they last
Klar64

Post by Klar64 »

@Pakz
Thanx man i totally missed that and will get right on it so that we do this the right way :D

@poke16384

i can totally understand like some threads i've read here about people uploading their own tune and then getting a copyright claim from youtube and finding that others have taken/stolen that music and claimed as their own and made money on the music that others made.

My daughter is making NO music or covers of any kind.
When she opens these pokemon things she just likes to have a bit of backround mellow kinda music going instead of just silence and the knick knack sounds of her opening stuff.

Normally she uses "Bensound" music, but she likes the old school 8bit/16bit music....which made me...her daddy proud being young in that era.....oh that old Breadbin and A500 brings back memories for me :rock:

I can understand and follow you 100% if she made like a 1 hour video of Remix64 tunes and started to make money on it
Then she would be making money on something specific that others made.

Shoud she (ever) reach that mark of being able to make money on her videos (monetize) i'm guessing people watch her videos because of the pokemon things and not really the music....but i can definetly follow you on the point and posibility of getting into muddy waters :wink:
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Remix.Kwed.Org (which is technically where your daughter is downloading any C64 remixes from) says:
Free MP3s? Nice! Can I use them for anything?
Yes and no. You are free to add the files obtained here to your music library and sync them to your MP3 player. But if you want to use them publicly in your youtube videos, stage plays, wedding ceremony or whatever you should ask the remix artist beforehand. Or at the very least give proper attribution. Partly because this stuff is created by nice people who make their work available for your free enjoyment and partly because it's the right thing to do. Also, please bear in mind that the music available on Remix.Kwed.Org is based on SID tunes that are still under copyright by the artist who created the original tunes.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Can't add much to what the others have said, really. If you have a specific track in mind you can PM me about it.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Klar64

Post by Klar64 »

Great feedback from you guys.
Thank you very much for the fast replys and help clearing up how to go about these things. :cheers:

We will now start the hunt for some music to use in her videos :butthead: :beavis: