Should RKO start using BitTorrent for downloads?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".

Should RKO start using BitTorrent for downloads?

Only for complete mirrors
10%
For complete mirrors and as an alternative download method
64%
Use BitTorrent distribution exclusively
No votes
If RKO switches to exclusively to BitTorrent downloads I'll install a client, but I won't help share afterwards.
7%
I can't be bothered to install a BitTorrent client. Even if it's the only way to get the tunes.
20%

Total votes: 61

Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

jgb wrote:Is there a problem with sharing the individual tracks instead of the whole shebang? 6 GB is still quite a bit, both to download initially and then share.
Depends really.... I want to make sure there's always at least one seed available. I've been running a few tests with the BitTornado client on the RKO box, but that requires one process pr torrent. No problem if I only need to serve a single one-with-everything download, but with 1300+ individual files it's just not a viable option. And as I'm limited to command-line unix clients the choice is somewhat limited.

On the other hand, if anyone out there wants to run the master seed for the individual files by all means get in touch and we're in business. :D
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

I fail to see the point of a one-torrent solution. I just don't see demand for it. Torrents for individual remixes would be great though.
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

exoskeleton wrote:I fail to see the point of a one-torrent solution. I just don't see demand for it.
That's because you're not one of those manic collectors hell-bent on having everything ever released sitting on your harddrive. Good for you.

Believe me, they're out there. In most cases they're just not in here. :D
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:
exoskeleton wrote:I fail to see the point of a one-torrent solution. I just don't see demand for it.
That's because you're not one of those manic collectors hell-bent on having everything ever released sitting on your harddrive. Good for you.

Believe me, they're out there. In most cases they're just not in here. :D
:shock: Dammit! My cover is blown!
All is lost.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:That's because you're not one of those manic collectors hell-bent on having everything ever released sitting on your harddrive. Good for you.
You assume too much. I have it all, more or less. :~) I just don't see a horde people wanting to download the entirety of RKO. In any event, its your time and efforts to expend, I'm just guessing here. I myself might've chosen to generate hash-codes for a couple of P2P networks and make links out of them. Then anyone could setup sharing without my knowledge and contribute to the offloading of my server. Since the queue is manually dequeued, the links could also be added manually, meaning a bit more work of course. But "talk is cheap" as they say. :)
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

If the whole thing is available for download in one go, what happens when new downloads are available? Will RKO end up doing something similar to HVSC? (i.e. RKO 1.0 and 1.1 update)?
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Updates sounds like a good way to go. Or a series of files.
RKO_2004, RKO_2003, RKO_Bestof
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Here is my 2 Cents on the Subject.

RKO Should stay the same as long as possible, however Bittorents as an Alternatvie and not a replacment is not a bad idea.

Now if this topic had come up a year ago I would have said no problem and would help seed/share the RKO Collection. However My ISP recently decided to impose a bandwidth limit of a 60GB Combined of Uploads/Downloads that means if I upload 30gb and download 30gb my bandwidth is up for the month and they dont offer extra bandwidth after that just punishments.

I'm heavily envolved in the Emulation scene so I can easily blow the 60gb in a month.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Slaygon »

Analog-X wrote:I'm heavily envolved in the Emulation scene so I can easily blow the 60gb in a month.
Since the SLAY Radio shows appeared as downloads through BitTorrent a little less than a month ago, there has been 268.1 GB worth of downloads of them, so yes, you could easily go beyond those 60GB.

Then again - the more people that help share the load, the less burdon it is on one single person.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I had forgotten about ocremix and went there to download some songs I had accidentaly deleted and Noticed now as an ulternative you can download the entire Collection through Bittorrent.

They've got the entire Collection as three 1.5GB Downloads. and there are 3 additional Sub Downloads for Seperate CD Projects as shown below.
OCR00001_to_OCR00500
OCR00501_to_OCR01000
OCR01001_to_OCR01250

dkcproject - Kong in Concert CD Album
SMProject - Relics of the Chozo CD.rar
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Hedgehog Heaven

But the Main site still works like it has in the past where you can download individual songs from a list.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
klasman
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by klasman »

I downloaded the entire OCremix collection with Bittorrent without any problem. Seems like an excellent option.
However, it would be good to still keep the possibility to download single tracks without using bittorrent (for the users who wants to stick with the old ways).
[ the masters of pixel art @ http://nicepixel.se/ ]
Aero
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Aero »

The problem would be that when another remix comes up the seeders will get out of date. I think a number of different downloads, as it has been said earlier in this thread, is the best. One for each year is not bad. Also a "the very best of RKO" with the toprated songs could be something. Otherwise people will have to spare about 5 GB and perhaps only want the ones they really will listen to.
Still, for me, i check rko regulary for new songs and download them to make a fast update to my collection. I think RKO should be a "base" for new remixes and the latest torrent should become updated once in a couple of months as "spring 2k5" or something.
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Aero wrote:I think RKO should be a "base" for new remixes and the latest torrent should become updated once in a couple of months as "spring 2k5" or something.
RKO Service Pack #4 :D
devilhood
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by devilhood »

I'm admittedly a Bit Torrent whore, so I'm up for it :wink:
Pawel Osmolski - music portfolio

SoundCloud - all sorts

Bandcamp - digital releases
ToxicGTE
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by ToxicGTE »

This might upset a few remixers, so sorry in advance. It seems ok to have a torrent file set up to download a collection of tracks like May_05, June_05, July_05 etc, but still keep the individual track download option. I don`t want to wait a few days to download the torrent then find that I don`t like 95% of the remixes and deleting most of them. Not because the remix was crap, but maybe I never liked the original tune in the first place or it`s not my cup of tea, sorry..