Introduce yourself here!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
kufi
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by kufi »

Hello everyone!

Since i am around here for a while now i might as well introduce myself (warning, *long* story!).

My full name is Thorsten Kuphaldt, but people call me "kufi" for as long as i can remember. Not the coolest of nicknames but it is okay :)

I was born on April 13th 1980 in munich, germany, and had my first computer-experience with about three years when i messed with the keyboard of my dads TRS80, resulting in my first written word, "FOTO" (german for photo). A few years later (1984-ish) my dad bought a breadbox-C64 and that was the coolest thing ever for me. One game i liked especially, not exactly because it was so great, but because of the title track: Hunter Patrol. After a while i started recording music off my dads 64 on tape...

In 1990 i bought my very own C64 and had a blast playing games, listening to their music and later starting rudimentary BASIC-programming. Sadly i never really got into assembly. Again i started to record music off the machine on tape, and started to annoy my classmates with it (i still remember fondly trying to persuade my gym-teacher to play the cybernoid-title-theme as music for aerobic...)

1994 was the year when i parted with my C64 to replace it with an Amiga 1200 (which i own to this day). I really loved the Amiga (and its music), but i started to miss the 64 after a while. In 1996-ish i got a CD-Drive for it and started to browse through a few PD-CDs. In one drawer i noticed a program called "PlaySID". I thought to myself: "could that be a C64 Musicplayer? Nah, probably not, that is not possible". Boy, was i wrong!!!

Around that time i played around with a MOD-Tracker (i think it was OctaMED), and tried to "remix" the first-level-tune from Katakis (one of my all time favorite C64 games and tunes)... from memory of course. The result was OK, but after the first minute or so i ran out of voices, and my memory of the tune also was not the best (i remembered the beginning but not the rest) so i abandoned the conversion there. After i got hold of the SID i compared both and it was pretty accurate, even if it only covered about a minute or so. The file still lies around on my harddisk, and every now and then i threaten to finish it :)

After i got an internet connection (and a PC... sadly) one of the first searches i did was for "C64"... and so i discovered the HVSC and SIDPlay. A few years later i found c64audio.com and started downloading and listening to some of the early remixes that were available. I heard of the BIT-events, but i never actually thought of going there, simply because i lacked the money and time (and english-skills) to go there.

When i downloaded or listened to C64-music i mostly concentrated on stuff i knew from "the old times". The reason was that i thought that i already heard the best stuff that was out there, and even if i played some random Galway or Hubbard-tune in SIDPlay, i stopped after a few seconds, because in Galways case the stuff started too slow and in Hubbards case it started too distorted and crazy :) . Believe it or not, i never listened to such gems as Thrust, Green Beret, Human Race, Last V8, Rasputin, Sanxion Loader and a *lot* of others until a few years ago!

The real wake-up-call came, when i tried out SlayRadio for the first time (last year, after the CRC had taken place), and i really started to get blown away by stuff that i completely dismissed in the beginning. The following days and weeks i produced lots of traffic at RKO when i started to "beef up" my remix collection. Before i had around 30 - 40 remixes laying around, now i am up to about 250, not counting the CD-tracks. Since i discovered SlayRadio (and the hundreds of gems that i missed) i hardly listened to "real world music"...

Apart from C64-related stuff i started programming in C and perl (on windows-platforms) about five years ago, and the biggest result is my game Dogfight (see signature) and my commodore-museum-website (also see signature) which is generated with a preprocessor written in perl. I also do some 3d-modelling since i had my Amiga, starting with spaceships, and now i make computer-models for my commodore-museum. I also have a sizable computer-collection (around 50 computers, and tons of peripherals).

Wow, i got a little carried away with my writing there, i hope i did not bore you to much. See ya!

Image Image Image
Anthony N.Putson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Anthony N.Putson »

WOW ! Can`t wait for the next chapter !!!
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Both sites look very nice and polished, I just cant read them :)

on a Side-Note:

I remember blasting Delta through my stereo system and we had a guy in the aparment doing plumbing and I remember him yelling at me to turn the noise off. hehehehe.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Hi.

My name is Michael
and I'm with the
Anonymous Misanthrophes.
All is lost.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Hello, my name is Bent. I'm with the Anonymous Audiophile/Audioholics (AA/A).
A big welcome y'all!
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Hi, I'm Andrew Fisher, freelance writer for magazines including Commodore Force, Commodore Format and currently Retro Gamer. Owner of many remix CDs and attendee at various live events.

Won't somebody please remix my SIDs? :lol:
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Max Levin »

merman wrote: Won't somebody please remix my SIDs? :lol:
Watch out what you wish for... it might come true. MUHAHAHAHAHA! :twisted:
Seriously, you don't wanna hear tha tune I made just because your sig told me so :)
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

hello im me, ive tried being someone else but it seems thats actually illegal so had to stop.

i am a remixer (of sorts) and freelance music type person just throwing weird brrr noises in the direction of anyone and anything with ears (squirrels seem to take to my music more than any other creature... and the odd platypus).

and there ya go.. not much else really to tell about me apart from boring stuff really .. and no one wants to hear that not even my psyciatrist :(
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

merman wrote:Hi, I'm Andrew Fisher, freelance writer for magazines including Commodore Force, Commodore Format and currently Retro Gamer. Owner of many remix CDs and attendee at various live events.

I've subscribed to Retro Gamer, great magazine I look forward to every issue.

Now what sids do you have?
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Analog-X wrote:
merman wrote:Hi, I'm Andrew Fisher, freelance writer for magazines including Commodore Force, Commodore Format and currently Retro Gamer. Owner of many remix CDs and attendee at various live events.

I've subscribed to Retro Gamer, great magazine I look forward to every issue.

Now what sids do you have?
HVSC/Various/M-R/Merman :lol:

There's about 400 covers and 400 originals in there...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

Hi!

My name is John and I'm a member of the BA (Broadcasters Anonymous) due to too much impromptu radio shows and stuff.

I really should be arsed to make more music and I even have some old SIDs for you to remix as well. ;)

DO tune in on http://www.slayradio.org on thursdays at 20:00 CET since my airtime-exhibitionistic needs will be fulfilled then... ;)

/ Ziphoid
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Hi

My name is Fluffy, and I'll be your captain for this flight....no, that can't be right.....

*much rummaging in the attic for the correct script*

Alrighty, my name is Paul, I'm also a regular at the retro events and buyer of many remix CDs.

Long time listener to Slay Radio and botherer of the mighty Kenz of Binary Zone fame. Hobbies include teaching nuns to parachute and promotion of topless darts on the radio..... :wink:
'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I'm very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'
StormKeeper
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by StormKeeper »

My name is Andy, though I'm also known as Kenny, Storm or "Hey you... yes you!" :p :lol: (the last one may be a hyperbole)

Er anyway, I used to be a regular on the IRC channels as well as a regular listener of SLAY Radio, though not somuch at the moment although I intend to return. I've been to a few of the events that were organised in the past year, and hope to do some more in time.

I'll introduce myself properly later... the fact that I haven't been up long, and the fact that it's bloody hot here atm kinda limits my thinking processes a bit, lol
maverickbna
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by maverickbna »

My name is Alex Smith, and I'm an addict.

I'm an amateur radio operator here in the states, callsign K4RNT, and active in the Commodore 64 scene, computers in general and just starting to get really into the Amiga.

I first got a Commodore 64 around the time I was born (1983), when my dad was getting his Masters degree, and had it to type his thesis. Supposedly, my first word was RETURN (as in the key on the keyboard!). My parents were members of a C64 users group in North Carolina, and that's how I inherited most of my games. My favorites were Impossible Mission, Warriors of Zypar, Gridrunner and Lode Runner, among others. I also had a SID addiction to many pop classics - had a few disks of some SIDs, but couldn't find them when we moved out of the state of Maryland. I gave away my Commodore around the year 1994. Long live the C64!

My favorite composers from the 8-bit era are: Rob Hubbard, Chris Huelsbeck, Jeroen Tel, and Martin Galway. My near all time favorite SID is Out Run (the C64 version), interpreted by Jason Brooke.

I am a frequent IRCer as well. I'm a server administrator on the Newnet IRC network (irc.newnet.net) under the name sentinel, and I'm also active on EFnet, under the name Netwalker or ShadowHntr. I also frequent Boz and Ziphoid's shows, and absolutely LOVE Kenz' podcast, One Man & His Mic.

Nice to meet everyone. Let's get computing!
In a sky full of people - only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy?
bign2003
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by bign2003 »

Hi everyone, Im Joe Tan, filmmaker from Middlesbrough England :)
C64 is my childhood, thanks for helping bring back me memories :)