I had a dream...

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Moad'Dib
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Moad'Dib »

Analog-X wrote:I dreamed last night, that after being a member here since <insert date here> I finaly made a C64 remix and submitted it to KWED. Than right after that I dreamed about Yelling at my BOSS telling him off etc..
Hi there!

Thanx for sharing yours... :wink:

I made a C64 remix already but not submitted it to KWED. I haven't guts to do it, and also I like to protect you from my "not too well" music.
Probably later when human kind will be ready to my art...
:D
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

I have a feeling you'd be up for a Dune remix. :)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Moad'Dib wrote: I made a C64 remix already but not submitted it to KWED. I haven't guts to do it, and also I like to protect you from my "not too well" music.
Probably later when human kind will be ready to my art...
:D
Same here, I have made none c64 Tunes which have been released on CD Compliations.

But I have yet to do a proper C64 Remix.

Maybe I need to get my ass kicked from the guys here to get me started on one.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Moad'Dib
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Moad'Dib »

exoskeleton wrote:I have a feeling you'd be up for a Dune remix. :)
Nope! You are wrong.
My name is Moad'Dib and isn't Muad'Dib. :P

It's an Uridium remix btw...
Voyager

Post by Voyager »

Nice dream. My version would of been this.

Sitting waiting for last ninja to load (listening to cool asian loading music).
Tape drive stops working....
Tweak heads with little screwdriver....
Try again. Sitting waiting for last ninja to load (doo dooooo dit dit dit doooo.)
Tape drive stops loading....
Tweak heads with little screwdriver...
etc.
etc
etc.
Last ninja finally loads. Play a little but mostly listen to the music.

Even though I had so many many drama's with my drive

I was still happy. Great times.
Im new here, please dont hurt me.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Waiting 20-30 Minutes for Impossible Mission was the routine. Than I saved enough money and bought my 1541 for $375 Canadian or $338 U.S. or $268 Euros or $184 U.K. Pounds. Which at the time was a lot of money. Especialy for a 13 year old.
Last edited by Analog-X64 on 03/05/2006 - 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

Voyager wrote:Nice dream. My version would of been this.

Sitting waiting for last ninja to load (listening to cool asian loading music).
Tape drive stops working....
Tweak heads with little screwdriver....
Try again. Sitting waiting for last ninja to load (doo dooooo dit dit dit doooo.)
Tape drive stops loading....
Tweak heads with little screwdriver...
etc.
etc
etc.
Last ninja finally loads. Play a little but mostly listen to the music.

Even though I had so many many drama's with my drive

I was still happy. Great times.
Luckily we had out tapeunit pimped with a batterymeter, that showed the strength of the signal....so you could tweak the heads first time round :D
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride'
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Luckily we had out tapeunit pimped with a batterymeter, that showed the strength of the signal....so you could tweak the heads first time round :D
Man, you WERE posh!

I figured out that when I used the 'tape to tape' function on my 1980's 'Ghetto Blaster' with the 'chrome' button pressed and at 'fast speed', the resulting copy would be much louder than the original. I got LOADS of duff games to work that way :)

Some games also loaded better if you turned the C2N upside down, which I remember finding out after just throwing the damn thing into a corner after a bazillion attempts at loading some Mastertronic crap! It landed upside down and the game loaded :)

Yes, I had WAY too much free time back then...

Tonka
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

Tonka wrote:
Man, you WERE posh!
More than you think :

- Our C64 had 4 kernels, English, German, English with SpeedDOS, German with SpeedDOS.
- Our 1541 had SpeedDOS too ( of course )
- Our MPS-802 printer had an extra ROM and switch to put it in 801 mode ( the 802 had a better charset but couldn't print graphics, the 801 could )
- As i said earlier, the tapedrive had a batterymeter, for signal strength
- the joystick we had had it's rubbery switches replaced with microswitches. ( that was before we got a Suzo Arcade )

The difference between the English and German kernels was this : in one you had to POKE the character and the color before a character appeared on te screen. with the other you only had to POKE the character. I don't know which is which anymore though
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride'
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Must have been the german "kernel" as it was based on the english one and is of latter date. At least my old breadbox behaves like that.
BTW: For those who have no experience with the C64, a german "kernel" didn't include a german keyboard layout or characters, no translated system messages and of course no built-in german BASIC ;)

Code: Select all

10 FÃœR A = 1 ZU 1000
20 DRUCKE "ALLES WIRD GUT!"
30 NÄCHSTES A

:lol:
All is lost.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Vosla wrote:Must have been the german "kernel" as it was based on the english one and is of latter date. At least my old breadbox behaves like that.
BTW: For those who have no experience with the C64, a german "kernel" didn't include a german keyboard layout or characters, no translated system messages and of course no built-in german BASIC ;)

Code: Select all

10 FÃœR A = 1 ZU 1000
20 DRUCKE "ALLES WIRD GUT!"
30 NÄCHSTES A

:lol:
Don't laugh! As you might know Microsoft did the Commodore Basic - earlier versions of M$ Word came with translated Word Basic commands. :frustration: :lol:
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:Don't laugh! As you might know Microsoft did the Commodore Basic - earlier versions of M$ Word came with translated Word Basic commands. :frustration: :lol:
I had a run into this.
Excel comes with translated commands, too!
Sucks like hell.
Hadn't tried it but I think to remember nowadays Office products understand the original english commands and the localized versions simultaniously.
All is lost.
moog
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by moog »

haha , I found my oldschool-photo from the visual party 94' (in Poland), when I was 17y old :). Image
On the picture are all Agony (my c64 group) members. First row from left: Glut, Me, Skyle, Astaroth, Inco, Shogoon, Morris, (i don't remember), Owen, Digger. 2nd row: Sailor, Comanche, Druid, Compod.
Nickenstien
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Nickenstien »

@FFrenzy, hehe my c64 was pimped too, but with mods that I made myself :) I had a homemade soft-reset switch made out of two bits of wire selotaped onto pins 1 and 3 of the cartridge port, leading to a paperclip-switch that was selotaped to the top of the keyboard. Very lo-tech but it let me reset the machine while keeping the game in memory to enter and finds cheat pokes (or just screw about with memory and see how the game would fuck up :D )

I also made an Auto-Waggling joystick :D, this was made from two microswitches ripped from another joystick, a minature motor from a scaletrix car glued between them with a pen-top glued onto the motor shaft to hit both microswitches in quick succession as the motor spun :D . I built that entire device for the sole purpose of getting past the 1500 meter run in Daley Thompsons decathlon :D

Speaking about the slow loading times of tape drives, I realy think games have lost something now that they load pretty much instantly.

Instant gratification is never as satisfying as something you have to wait for :D
stuff and that and things with bits on it!
Moad'Dib
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Moad'Dib »

Luckily we had out tapeunit pimped with a batterymeter, that showed the strength of the signal....so you could tweak the heads first time round
Hehe! I just turned on my old little fm radio, tuned it to a certain frequency - I can't remember what was it - and heard the sounds of tape unit loadings.
So I listened the sound quality, if it was week, I turned some on the unit's head and voala... It has gone very simply and quick.

I never understood that why didin't they put a reset switch on C64, however C16 has this usefull button. So I also made one of myself. You just had made expansion port's toes 1 and 3 to short and reset taked part.

Moog!
Cool photo!