Anyone got a SIDstation?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

Chris Abbott wrote:Well, I guess. I've actually got a Phatboy, but the controller numbers
aren't programmable: though the Hardsid may be.

Chris
Well, it gives them knobs to play with and you would think the Phat.Boy could be assigned to change some of the HardSid parameters via midi? Am I missing something? I don't have a HardSid myself..
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

The Phatboy has six modes, but on each mode the controller number
is hardcoded, so it depends on the Hardsid as to what effect each has:
you can't assign them.

Surprised that Quadrasid can't be controlled that way though!

Chris
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Tas wrote:I concur with chris about Electron, i had dealings with them myself and they really are not supportive of the c64 comunity!
They just want our SID-chips! NEVER!
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Chris Abbott wrote:The Phatboy has six modes, but on each mode the controller number
is hardcoded, so it depends on the Hardsid as to what effect each has:
you can't assign them.
Surprised that Quadrasid can't be controlled that way though!
Chris
This make me think no one reads what i write.

I said that you can assign controller in QuadraSID with the modulation matrix. You can assign whatever controller you want to control a lot of parameters. In addition, you have also 8 "combiners" you can control
with midi CCs.

Assigning by default controllers to parameters of Quadrasid wuold have mean limiting a lot his capabilities.

The difference from a "normal" synth is that with QS the controllers are specific for the patch (much like the Virus "softknobs" and Modwheel), and not "general".

cheers.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> This make me think no one reads what i write.

Complicated ideas, tired brain! (me, I mean)
hikari
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by hikari »

It's times like this I wish I had €900. Cool toys are never as much fun when you can't afford them. I think I'll blame Chris, because I have to keep buying CDs from c64audio ;)
hikari aka chris aka other things
http://www.hikari.org.uk/
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Re: Anyone got a SIDstation?

Post by madfiddler »

I just picked one up for £550 on ebay. I have NO idea why I never bought one in the first place, but as I now fancy doing a TDK album and live concert I feel I need one, plus the sammichsid I've just ordered.

m

(dragging up old threads, I know... Naughty me!)
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Why not just use an actual c64?! (Or a laptop with some samples and VSTi in.)

For the road, all it takes is spending £30 on a MSSIAH and walking 'round with a joystick in your pocket.

Buy an even cheaper S-Video-to-VGA box, take your little flatscreen with you and you're away: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCTV-DVD-DVR- ... 336e9a752e

And on top of that, who says you can't mount a 64 and disk drives in a keyboard case?
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

I guess because I don't want to. Already have the laptop and quadrasid etc, I do have a C64 somewhere and after I get the A1200 running properly I may look into that too, but getting the SIDStation and Sammichsid is right for me.
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Incidentally, Robyn used a SIDstation for "Hang with me". It's even featured in the video. :D

Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I bought a SidStation when it was brand new on the market, within hours of using it, the O/S simply scrambled itself. It was quite the process of packing it and shipping it back for them to repair and send it back.

I haven't used it since, too afraid that it will get scrambled again.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

Hopefully they've fixed that. This one was no. 75 of their final batch.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

The SID Station often crashed for me as well when I had one right after they came out... it's a hardware bug inherent in all SID Stations. I sold mine for many reasons... the first being that they only supported the older 6581 SID... and the knobs and encoder vere extremely flimsy and easily grinded the plastic on the knobs if you turned it a bit too violently.

In my opinion it's not worth the money they cost back then, and still go for way too much compared to what you get with a sammichSID (which simply kick the SID Stations butt many fold). Only reason to have one would be nostalgica, nothing else really.

For a SID synth, get either sammichSID or the MB6582. they are THE BEST!
For playing back SID tunes, get the HardSID 4U, they are the best (only?) for this task.

Only irritating thing about these machines that are currently available is, that none has come to the conclusion of implementing a simple VCA after the SID audio Output... if one had this, you could at least work around the buggy envelopes of SID. it's the SID's biggest problem when it comes to playing it live and sequenced.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

I have a sammichSID coming this month. So far I've not bonded with the SIDStation, so I may get rid of it. Already have a buyer if I decide to.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Razmo wrote:The SID Station often crashed for me as well when I had one right after they came out... it's a hardware bug inherent in all SID Stations..
I paid a lot of money for mine many years ago. I used it for about 2 hours and the ROM on it got scrambled. I sent it back for repairs and got it back, turned it back on to see that it works and stored it away.

I dont want to sell it, because of how much money I sunk into it. and I dont want to use it, since I'm afraid its going to break again. :duh:
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120