SID to MP3 conversion project has finished !

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Boz
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Boz »

Kenz wrote:Not sure about the idea of using just one C64 for ALL the 6581 recordings though (unless it just so happens to have the best SID chip in the world!) - sometimes I try a SID tune on quite a few different C64's just so I can get the absolute best "sounding" version before I record it - so this will be very interesting ... !
Just been through a couple of Galway tunes with filters, which is always a good acid test: seems that his 6581 chip has a very "closed" filter, unfortch. Listening to the same tune with the 8580 alternative adds a helluva "wooeeooeeooeee" though ;)
Kenz wrote:Hats off to the SOASC guys though, this is quite an achievement and I'm sure will be an excellent resource for SID fans.
Definitely; it was a hell of a project to do, and it's incredible to have a library of Real SID tunes to go through, when the emulation isn't quite up-to-scratch. SOASC, we salute you!
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

When recording Hubbard SID's, I always make sure I don some big old 'reactolite' glasses, a dodgy moustache and grow myself a bad mullet for true authenticity...

Above: Tonka recording the Sanxion loader, last Tuesday
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Boz wrote: his 6581 chip has a very "closed" filter, unfortch.
Hmmm - Follin stuff should actually sound very good then! That's the problem with recording the way he has though, some will sound great and others will sound pants because of that damn filter variation.

Still, I don't think there is any other way that we could have gotten access to such a massive collection of real SID's in such a short time. Sterling job! :)
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

I was always very sceptical about the "difference" between SID chips, until I heard Project Galway and some of Kenz's recordings... there were clear differences, particularly with something like Yie Ar Kung Fu 2.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Recipe for true C64 recordings!

a) create a time machine
b) go back in time
c) secretly record the final tune from the original c64
d) go back back in time into the present
e) post on net

Happy time travelling!
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Kenz »

merman wrote:I was always very sceptical about the "difference" between SID chips, until I heard Project Galway and some of Kenz's recordings... there were clear differences, particularly with something like Yie Ar Kung Fu 2.
Boz actually did the Project:Galway recordings from Martins C128 and bloody brilliant they are too - I was blown away when I heard the Terra Cresta lead as Martin intended it to be heard and Yie Ar Kung Fu 2 sounds god-damn amazing! :D

I haven't had much luck downloading anything from the SOASC as yet (servers always busy) but I did try Lightforce ... Oh dear! It starts off okay (nice and clear) but the main lead almost vanishes thanks to the filtering. :roll:
New Commercial 8-BIT Games NOW AVAILABLE! - http://www.psytronik.net
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Kenz wrote:I did try Lightforce ... Oh dear! It starts off okay (nice and clear) but the main lead almost vanishes thanks to the filtering.
I know where you're coming from. See this thread

Certainly when I did recordings from Ben's and my C64s, the filter variation really proved itself big time. I've still got MP3s of both for comparison if anyone fancies a listen.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------