Article: The Remix64 Voting System

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Article: The Remix64 Voting System

Post by Doddsy »

I like the voting system its fair and mostly honest. I hate it when people say like on You tube for example "oh that's fantastic!" when its not!

I try not to remix for a specific audience. I do the remix as a challenge for myself and what I want it to sound like and if the public like it then that's a bonus for me. I think nowadays with so many remixes being released the listeners are getting a bit more picky and so there are people who prefer this style over that style. I tend to see it as if just 1 in 10 people really like your remix with a red smiley then that means 10 out of 100 or even a 100 out of a 1000 will do too! :nod:
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Slaygon »

One of the reasons I chose not to be bound to the remix64.com voting system for SLAY Radio was because of the temporary nature of things.
Sometimes you like uptempo, and sometimes you like the slow stuff. And if one track is played to death, you might start to absolutely hate it. Or you hate uptempo in the morning but absolutely adore it in the evening.

That is the strength of the temporary voting - You get a snapshot of the current mindset of the listeners, which is reflected on the monthly rated shows.

I have discussed with LMan the possibility of doing some sort of 1:1 comparison of the historical ratings on SLAY Radio just to see how they would fair to the ratings remix64 has. Perhaps they, over time, adjust and end up being the same? Maybe they are all out of whack and show something completely different? Perhaps we judge the same piece of music differently depending on where and how we hear it?

It would be an interesting exercise.
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Re: The voting system on rko

Post by DHS »

dan gillgrass wrote: DHS strikes a chord again (<-- see what I did there ;) ) It is true, but it shouldnt stop voters putting of truly talented artists releasing stuff... some people just dont like you... its a fact.... that will always be a fact, no matter who you are. And "flavour of the month" ? RKO is so sour these days I long for when Marcel, yourself, Makke, Lman, Markus, Mahoney, O2, GrB, Ferrara, JmS and Larsec were releasing stuff on a constant basis.... original, intact and damn fucking good :cheers: (and anyone I forgot there... they know who they are !!!)
& to LMan:

I wasn't talking (only) about myself.
I'm not avoiding to remix c64 stuff (only) because of the voting system. I think i did my part, and now i feel that remixing is only "boxing" my creativity, the rare times i can make music. I prefer to work on original stuff.
Of course, there are other reasons related to the scene: where it's going (i'm higly competitive and, for example, sad [for me] but true, i simply can't compete with people like Reyin, who is the great guy he is and fully deserved to win about everything the last roty).
On the other side there's a lot of people who did a *lot* for the scene and never came at #1 in any roty competition. I'm one of them, and maybe the less deserving of the bunch.
Scene gave a lot to me (for example, i improved a lot thanks to the scene) but it's time to move on something different.

As for the good'ol voting system question, well, it's true: you can't please everyone. But doing this, you don't please anyone. *if* that assumption is true, what's the matter in keeping up an anonymous, time consuming (for the moderators) and highly failable system? Just shut it down.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Re: The voting system on rko

Post by LMan »

DHS wrote:As for the good'ol voting system question, well, it's true: you can't please everyone. But doing this, you don't please anyone. *if* that assumption is true, what's the matter in keeping up an anonymous, time consuming (for the moderators) and highly failable system? Just shut it down.
If we shut it down, it would disappoint the listeners, and a LOT of the arrangers who actually like getting this kind of feedback. Might as well shut down RKO, R64, the forum and everything alltogether - where's the point?

And I still deny that the system is highly failable.

However, we're working on improvements to make the chart calculations a bit more fair, while at the same time we'll be encouraging (though not forcing) public votes.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Please note the update in the article, summarised in the following news item:
http://www.remix64.com/updates_to_chart ... ation.html
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Ah, nice. Should be a little bit more balanced now. I did notice a sudden rearrangement of some tunes.
Check out my website.
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

LMan, it's applaudable to see that after so many years your still willing to improve that rating system
and still try to meet the crowds requests.

Interestingly all of my remixes ratings increased significantly now - but not their chart
ranking.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Thanks men. :)
Romeo Knight wrote: Interestingly all of my remixes ratings increased significantly now - but not their chart
ranking.
Yes, it's because almost every well-rated track had its one or two puke faces. So while that influence is diminished, all the tracks receive an up-lift, but the ranking order remains roughly the same. (Except our "Robocop"... it dropped from #5 to #10 in the All-Time-Charts, drat. ;) )
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

Great work LMan, looking at the charts again has made me vote on tunes for whatever reason i didn't vote on before. :)
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Doddsy »

I think the voting system is a lot more balanced now.

Don't know about your thoughts on this but I do tend to find on remixes that people release who ever makes a comment first on the remix. Their initial rating tends to influence the subsequent comments you will get mainly in either a positive or negative way. Of course you always get one who wants to be classed as different & gives a really bad rating (and sometimes good!)

I like the voting system though it gives a good reflection on peoples tastes and whats currently in vogue in the remixing community. :D
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Thanks guys, for sharing your thoughts on this. :)