Article: The Remix64 Voting System

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Article: The Remix64 Voting System

Post by LMan »

Last edited by LMan on 20/08/2007 - 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Cool idea. Very fair-worthy!
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Well said, LMan. :)
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

Good article, It gets an Image from me, it would have got a Image but I'm in a bad mood.

j/k :D
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Well put, LMan.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Sounds fair and it's pretty easy to understand. :thumbsup:
All is lost.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

I've been in my time privvy to the information behind the scenes and now that i am not privvy to the information i can give an honest account of it.

The System which remix64 applies is as good as it can possibly be. I dare say other systems which do a similar thing arn't as well worked out as remix64's system.

The problem lies really with mis-conceptions and more so down to sensativity. It's just as easy as a remixer to get wound up as it for someone who votes.

I've always said and i will continue to say tactical voting does not really exist and on the odd occaision where it seems to have happened it has had very little impact on the overall score. Maybe as 1% or 2% at best/worst. Can one man quash an army of hundreds? simple answer there is NO!

In my time and i am also guilty of it. You can read 1 bad comment more deeply than 10 good comments. I would ask those of a sensative nature to look at the overall picture. If you get 10 good comments and one bad comment then ignore the bad comment and look at the possitives. If you receive 10 bad comments and 1 good comment then pretty much you have provided a dud on this occaision.

No one likes a bad rating - Even said in the best and constructive way it hurts.

Could the system get better? yes, no doubt it could, nothing is ever deffinitive. Even if you reach the max there will always be something of an objection. It's the way the world works. If everyone was happy with the system then i think Lman and co would have reached a level no one has ever reached before!

EDIT: I did not need to say this. I am no longer part of the remix64 team, and i still have no wish to be so, but i had to comment to say although I'm not now a regular i will defend something in which i feel is right.

I do have many reservations how the site has now become but the voting system is not at all one of them!
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Lman: I agree with your article... but now that I think about it, why not just keep the average score hidden, until those 15 votes are there? ... I've noticed that the score-average fluctuates a lot when it initialy enter the chart at RKO because of the few votes... as I've written in another thread, I've been ashamed to have a tendency to listen only to the orange and red smiley tunes, than those of yellow and below... I cannot tell you why, maybe it's just me, or maybe others do the same... I don't know, but it's surely not fair, if you get "skipped" because of the first few votes. an initial "rating-free" period would remedy this easily, and it should last untill at least the 15 votes has been made.

other than that, I think the system is as good as it can get, considdering it's a system that has to take everything into account. you just have to make your OWN average from the votes sometimes, to get a clearer image of your rating.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

great article, LMan...

thx!
o2
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by o2 »

Very nice Article Lman, Now lets hope there wont be so many discussions about voting system anymore.

//o2
All ET's arent nice!!
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Great article, especially the last part which Tas has covered above.

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Agreed with all the above comments, it's a system that's fair and works. Wherever possible I'll try to give reasoning with my shout comment why I like or dislike a remix. I just say it like I think, it's the way I am!
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Article: The Remix64 Voting System

Post by omoroca »

LMan wrote:It is a bad idea to try and silence people who provide negative feedback, after all that would not change their mind.
And besides, complaining about votes can influence the way people vote, either in a positive or negative way. Either way, when this happens, these votes will not reflect the listeners' true opinion any more and become worthless for the remixer.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

@Everyone: thanks for the nice words. I'm glad the article is helpful. :)

@Razmo: Note that the "pre-15-vote-compression" thingy is a brand new addition to the engine, made to counter the jumpy behaviour that you mentioned. Still we need to show a rating, since some tunes do not reach 15 votes (see CD Track charts).

@omoroca: Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to say. But the more important it is, that a negative feedback has to be given in a constructive way. I hope I was able to represent both sides in the article.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Just remember that there is a differeence to complaining about the votes themselves, and how the voting system works :wink:

I still don't understand why there is compression in the beginning instead of just waiting to show the average score until the 15 votes are there... it seems that everyone ignores when I put up the question if anyone else "forget" to listen to the below yellow smileys of new releases?... I do that often, and as I wrote earlier, if many does this, it can have a bad influence on a score that might infuence something... I don't know.

but as stated earlier, I like the voting system nonetheless, as it won't get any better anyway. I guess you should be happy that you get any feedback at all!... I've had my music on other sites like MySpace and Danish MyMusik, and there you get no feedback at all... that is afterall what makes this place so special; Friendly people with lots of feedback.

I do find though, that some of you guys get a little too "grumpy" when people start talking about the voting system... it is a forum, and you should be able to express your opinion here about the system, but it seems as if there is a kind of "Oh no!... not again!" karma when you do :lol: ... as long as it's serious debate, and not just someone who's pissed about having his tune diss'ed.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).