Timbaaaaaaaaaa!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Timbaaaaaaaaaa!

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Alright, please keep up informed if you get more info. All the best to Janne.
CreaMD
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by CreaMD »

Somehow I thought that GRG was behind this but that "fi" was a bit confusing. It seems to me, that GRG's lawyers have a bit more practical approach to the solution of this problem and that they might eventually be succesful with it.

Problem of this case (and such cases in general) is in the lack of experience on the side of "party aggrieved". Instead of starting with some primary contact with the side that caused the damage. It bursted out in a form of "a monostrous scandal". I really wonder what was happening since half of 2006 (rumoured date when the plagiarism was identified) to late 2006 when it was starting to boil around the internet.

Maybe I'm naive, but it could have started with first contact specifying carefully worded out claims. This way they could have collected some kind of official "refusal" to their claims that could be used further in the case (as a proof o the fact that the other side "knows" and "doesn't want to bear the responsibilty").

Now after all that had happened in first months of 2007. Thanx god for Timbaaaaa's interview, I would say.
http://www.c64.sk - C64 Scene News
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

The only thing that was ever going to get Timba's record label to talk to anyone was actual court action. Not the threat of court action (anyone can threaten), but an actual writ. It's deeply cynical, but there you are.

Yes, the whole thing should anyway have been handled differently...!!

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
CreaMD
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by CreaMD »

I could say that no answer would also be an answer but you are right.

Roman
gasman

Post by gasman »

Hmm, this is all starting to sound a bit ominous as far as Tempest's side goes. Up to week ago we were all being told (directly by Tempest on Pouet, and in Zine #12) that Tempest's negotiations were going just hunky-dory and things were going to be settled any day now. But now it's sounding like this current case was actually meant to include Tempest but ended up not doing due to something complicated, and someone in the know is commenting that the record company isn't taking notice of anything short of full-on court action. So have his negotiations happened or not? From this outsider perspective, something isn't adding up here.

I guess it's a "wait for the filings" for me too, then...
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

gasman wrote:Hmm, this is all starting to sound a bit ominous as far as Tempest's side goes. Up to week ago we were all being told (directly by Tempest on Pouet, and in Zine #12) that Tempest's negotiations were going just hunky-dory and things were going to be settled any day now. But now it's sounding like this current case was actually meant to include Tempest but ended up not doing due to something complicated, and someone in the know is commenting that the record company isn't taking notice of anything short of full-on court action. So have his negotiations happened or not? From this outsider perspective, something isn't adding up here.

Well, if you're right, THIS may be why both Tempest's lawyers and the record label's lawyers reportedly refused to talk to GRG's. So Tempest can reach a settlement with the record label and leave GRG out in the cold, despite the whole thing having a lot more to do with GRG than with Tempest (Tempest is only involved by accident: it's GRG's work they thought they were stealing).

Well, this situation DID just get complicated. And not in a good way.

And if what you say is true, my already low personal opinion of both parties (Tempest, Timbaland) just went down another notch or five.

[edit: obviously I'm not THAT much in the know. I was basing my opinion about the necessity of legal action on the fact that nothing had happened so far without it. I'm not on GRG's legal team, I'm just a witness]

Chris
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

The world hates the SID scene.

Chris
CreaMD
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by CreaMD »

;-)

This or that. Let's hope it all gets cleared soon. ;-)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Nice to see something happenin with this case....

Like the forum topic name Chris! ... now should I search for copyright infringement? :mrgreen: ... naaah.... just kidding :)
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Chris Abbott wrote:
gasman wrote:Hmm, this is all starting to sound a bit ominous as far as Tempest's side goes. Up to week ago we were all being told (directly by Tempest on Pouet, and in Zine #12) that Tempest's negotiations were going just hunky-dory and things were going to be settled any day now. But now it's sounding like this current case was actually meant to include Tempest but ended up not doing due to something complicated, and someone in the know is commenting that the record company isn't taking notice of anything short of full-on court action. So have his negotiations happened or not? From this outsider perspective, something isn't adding up here.

Well, if you're right, THIS may be why both Tempest's lawyers and the record label's lawyers reportedly refused to talk to GRG's. So Tempest can reach a settlement with the record label and leave GRG out in the cold, despite the whole thing having a lot more to do with GRG than with Tempest (Tempest is only involved by accident: it's GRG's work they thought they were stealing).

And if what you say is true, my already low personal opinion of both parties (Tempest, Timbaland) just went down another notch or five.

[edit: obviously I'm not THAT much in the know. I was basing my opinion about the necessity of legal action on the fact that nothing had happened so far without it. I'm not on GRG's legal team, I'm just a witness]

Chris
This starts to sound very bad.
I thought that Timbaland could not have a chance to get out of this without negative publicity at a court. Now it seems he is able to buy his ass free of trouble. Maybe Tempest is satisfied with whatever agreement he got but this isn't just a simple case about money, this is of public interest. Timbaland insulted the whole remix scene with his attitude and he shouldn't get a chance to get away with this without a bloody nose - surrounded by a stupid cheering crowd of retarded 'fans' on his side. It should not be allowed that he or somebody else could claim victory for Timbaland and put aside what shit he said.
Everything else is irrelevant, to deny is futile.
All is lost.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Vosla wrote:
Chris Abbott wrote:

Chris
This starts to sound very bad.
I thought that Timbaland could not have a chance to get out of this without negative publicity at a court. Now it seems he is able to buy his ass free of trouble. Maybe Tempest is satisfied with whatever agreement he got but this isn't just a simple case about money, this is of public interest. Timbaland insulted the whole remix scene with his attitude and he shouldn't get a chance to get away with this without a bloody nose - surrounded by a stupid cheering crowd of retarded 'fans' on his side. It should not be allowed that he or somebody else could claim victory for Timbaland and put aside what shit he said.
Everything else is irrelevant, to deny is futile.
Well, he was always able to buy his ass out of trouble, TBH. No one sane goes to court if it can be settled out of it.

The main concern at the moment is that you've got three sides in this battle, not two, and two of the sides seem to be looking to screw the other one: from the limited facts I've got, that's the conclusion I have to draw. It sucks.

Incidentally, I've received the filing, but I can't distribute it. I'll keep you informed of anything I hear that I can tell you tho'.

Chris
CreaMD
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by CreaMD »

Good. Thanx for info anyway.
gasman

Post by gasman »

Chris Abbott wrote: technically the action is public, since it's filed at Helsinki District Court.
Chris Abbott wrote: I've received the filing, but I can't distribute it.
I'll never understand this stuff :roll:

(I didn't mind the secrecy so much when I could reassure myself that it was all in the best interests of the legal proceedings, and it was all being dealt with by people who knew what they were doing, but now that the secrecy seems to have got in the way of people who really ought to have been talking to each other... well, it's a bit frustrating to watch. But if you've made an agreement not to release the filing, then so be it - I hope this can all get sorted out in the end...)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Am I reading this right? things have gone sour between GRG and Tempest?? If so this reminds me a divorce situation between a friend of a friend.

They were getting divorced and decided to make it as cival as possible, they had sat down and made up a list of how things were going to be split etc... to make it all official they decided to see a lawyer, and all went to hell after that. Instead of the clean divorce it turned into a nasty situation with Lawyers on both sides pulling the strings. The couple were mentally strong enough to say... what the heck are we doing here? and they both fired the lawyers and went back to the original plan and split things as they had originally planed. What does this have to do with anything??

If it sounds like Tempest is out to screw GRG, it might not be the case.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

gasman wrote:
Chris Abbott wrote: technically the action is public, since it's filed at Helsinki District Court.
Chris Abbott wrote: I've received the filing, but I can't distribute it.
I'll never understand this stuff :roll:

(I didn't mind the secrecy so much when I could reassure myself that it was all in the best interests of the legal proceedings, and it was all being dealt with by people who knew what they were doing, but now that the secrecy seems to have got in the way of people who really ought to have been talking to each other... well, it's a bit frustrating to watch. But if you've made an agreement not to release the filing, then so be it - I hope this can all get sorted out in the end...)
Well, I was just told not to distribute it. Anyway, the people who should have been talking to each other had ample time to talk to each other. They shouldn't be relying on second-hand documents from me, if that's what they're doing. The lawyers know each other full well.

Chris