The football thread

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Re: The football thread

Post by k_rostoen »

Not long till Brann - Everton in the UEFA cup now, only five days to go. Everton big favourites, but if we can get our counterattack working as good as it did last season, we might have a little chance. I guess our biggest disadvantage is that we are in the middle of pre-season, while Everton are playing important matches every week.
Experto credite!
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Oh the irony of my last post in this thread. Sean O'driscoll looked close to being sacked, the fans all but wanted him out at Doncaster Rovers and what a difference a the months have made. Sitting currently in 2nd with automatic promotion now in our own hands and form which puts us right at the top of the table and suddenly Sean is the new Alex Ferguson.

Praised for the football we play (Called the arsenal of league one) time and time again and it's all looking very good. In 23 games we've lost only 3 times.

The story of Doncaster Rovers just keeps getting better. You couldn't write the script...

Doncaster Rovers... A team who's ex chairman tried to burn down the stadium for insurance gains imprissoned for arson - club looked certain to go bankrupt. Taken over when we had no footballs, no kit (borrowed from Sheff U), no nets, 4 players on the books and relegated to the non league on record points. And then it all goes good. Won 2 conference cups on the bounce, won promotion twice (on the bounce), won the JPT trophy at the millenuim stadium in front of 60k fans plus, a new 32 million pound stadium complex and training facilities which rival the premiership, The board worth over one billion, and championship football looks a reality!

It's a good time to be a rovers fan!

Oh, and did I mention we gave Leeds Utd a good hiding on their own turf? ;)

Oh, and i almost forget a certain something... Man U 1 Man City 2. Waz will no doubt be well and truely happy as larry tonight!
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

tas wrote:Man U 1 Man City 2. Waz will no doubt be well and truely happy as larry tonight!
Understatement, that was. The day was totally unbelievable.

First off, the press had vilified the City fans and basically had them guilty before proving innocent with regards to the minute's silence before the game. However, the City fans did the right thing and not only did they respect the silence by keeping completely quiet, but throughout the game afterwards were singing "There's only one Frank Swift" in tribute to the former City goalie who had died in the Munich crash. Even Baconface himself (Alex Ferguson) applauded the City fans for keeping silent.

Then there was the first goal. Lovely move down the left involving Benjani and Martin Petrov, and Petrov's pass to find Stephen Ireland was a slide rule inch perfect pass, one which Alan Hansen no less described as "pass of the season" - and although Ireland's shot was saved, Darius Vassell followed up and scored at the second attempt. I loved the way Petrov was going mental in front of the City fans that were there!

And the second goal was absolutely dreamland for me, nice second ball in by Petrov and even though it went off Benjani's shoulder instead of his head, the intent was there and we got what we deserved as the ball evaded everyone to make it 2-0. You can imagine at this point that I was going extremely mental and it was just the sort of stuff that dreams are made of!

Throughout the second half all you could hear were the 3,000 Man City fans singing, with the 73,000 or so Man Utd fans silent. Maybe someone forgot to tell them it was a minute's silence and not 90 :) Anyway, to hear the Blue fans sing loud and proud and completely outclass Man U in every department was great. Some selected chants during the last 20 minutes:

"Benjani, woooooah, Benjani, woooooah, he comes from Zimbabwe, he scored on Derby Day.."
"F***off back to London, f****off back to London" (as Man U fans were leaving early)
"You're just a s**t Sun Jihai" (to Park Ji-Sung after an appalling shot that went near the corner flag)
"Fergie's right, your fans are s***e, Fergie's right, your fans are s***e" (in reference to what Ferguson had said to the Man U fans with regard to a recent win where their fans didn't get behind the team and were silent..)

At the end, seeing the Man U fans virtually leaving and with the City fans singing? Priceless. If you want to know how mental I was going, the Sky Sports Fanzone commentator sums it up nicely. "He's not happy... he's NOT happy!" Classic!
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

Kinda annoyed after the Brann - Everton match. Everton won 2-0 but that's really not reflecting the game. In first half Brann was the better team. In second half Everton was a notch better. In my opinion we should have got a freekick right before the first goal, but that one is OK, I can understand the ref's decision. However, the second goal was a clear offside and the linesman was at a very good position. I can't understand how he didn't see the offside. That second goal took away the last little bit of hope before the second leg.

Anyway, we did a good match against number 4 in Premier League. 1-1 would be a more fair result. Not bad for a team that's in the middle of preseason.

Unfortunately some lame dumbass Brann-"supporter" managed to throw a pooltable ball down at the pitch. I think he was aiming at Everton's keeper Tim Howard, but fortunately he missed by far. What the hell was he thinking? Who brings something like that to a match? Damn idiot. I hope they find him and ban him for life (well, of course he will be banned for life if they find him).
Experto credite!
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

With one game left of Coca Cola League One, Doncaster Rovers are in prime position to gain promotion to the Championship after Saturday's results.

I'm sure Tas will be on tenterhooks come Saturday as Donny go to Cheltenham knowing a win will get them up for definite and it's in their own hands. I've got my fingers crossed for ya!
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Good luck to Donny...

Ipswich v Hull Sunday, if Ipswich can grab the win and Watford or Palace lose, then Ipswich are back in the play-offs.

Looks like Sven may be sacked by Man City, which is a shame. As my dad said the other day, the longer he's worked with the players the worse the performances have got...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Go go Barrow on Friday night for promotion...!!! unbeaten in 19 (n-n-n-nineteen) games...

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Well, we should have had it all wound up on the last game of the season but we lost and ended up in the playoffs. We don't do things the easy way at Doncaster.

Fantastic result mind in the semi finals a whopping 5-1 win over southend and some great football to boot and a spectacular hatrick from twinkle toes Coppinger. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7_2LfWQ6oM

On to the final and on to Wembly this Sunday for the decider against Yorkshire Rivals Leeds Utd. Can't wait..
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

My home team didnt do as it should have this season, lost in the semi final of the scottish cup to rangers (on penalties i might add), and stuck in the 1st division for another season....NOT RIGHT
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

WoW!

The rollercoaster ride continues. So, at Wembly Donny V Leeds Utd resulted in a 1-0 victory for my side Doncaster Rovers an attendence of just over 75,000. What a day!

It's an increadible achievement for the club, it's chairman and the supporters. just 10 years ago the club looked destined to fold. The chairman imprissoned for commiting arson to the clubs stadium, just 4 players on the books, borrowed kit from Sheff U, no nets just 2 weeks before the campaign in the conference.

Up step our Saviour John Ryan and well the rest is history!

3 promotions in 5 years and Championship football. Amazing! It's real Roy of the Rovers stuff and a great story of the pheonix from the flames.

:cheers:
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Russia FTW!

Er, unless they've already lost to Spain, in which case, nothing to see here, nothing to see...
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

Germany is dead boring to watch and they stole this from Turkey (sorry, (name removed), no offence). Russia has played some great football so far and even though I had Spain as my favourites before the cup, I am hoping for Russia now.
Experto credite!
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

All I want for Christmas is...

Mark Hughes to be sacked!

Please. Can someone do the honours and do it quickly? City are degenerating quickly and it's all down to that Scummer of an ex-Red. Bah.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)