Urgent MP3 Hosting.

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Urgent MP3 Hosting.

Post by Analog-X64 »

A few months ago I posted about looking for somewhere to host about 100-300MB worth of MP3's that would probably generate 20GB bandwidth a month.

The current person hosting the files is shutting down he's server so a friend of mine needs an alternative place.

I've been looking for an alternative in North America and there is not good solution at a reasonable price.

The Majority here being in the U.K. and having better knowledge than I do about Hosting large files.

I need you're Advice!!!

If anyone knows a good solution please let me know...

PS: Wife and I just arrived in Austin, Texas 2500KM+ To get here.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
StormKeeper
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Re: Urgent MP3 Hosting.

Post by StormKeeper »

How much space would he need overall?

I'm starting to get into webhosting, as I have a reseller's account, although I haven't quite finalised plans just yet.

Although at the moment, my current plans up around that would be (multiply by 2 to get rough USD prices)

£5/mo or £50/yr for 500MB space and 5000MB transfer
£10/mo or £100/yr for 1000MB space and 10000MB transfer (with Go Unlimited* & free domain name)
£20/mo or £200/yr for 2000MB space and 20000MB transfer (with Go Unlimited* & free domain name) - which isn't officially available, as I feel I'm not good enough to offer that much just yet.

Fot what your mate is asking (taking the max space considerations, I would recommend and can do 500MB space and 20000MB transfer for £10/month or £100/yr. I'll also throw in my planned "Go Unlimited*" package and a domain name as well, like what is in the second 2 plans. I can also lower the space required and make it a bit cheaper as well.

*Go Unlimited includes unlimited email addresses/forwards, domains/subdomains/pointers and other stuff, including MySQL DBs.

I can also do other offers as well, if your friend wants to take stuff off or add it on. Also, to my knowledge, my VPS is based in the USA, which should help your friend.

Sorry if this seems like a sales pitch, but I figured I may as well offer my services to people in this community if I can. If you don't want to accept this, that's cool.

Edit: Figures the post is a couple months old now, doh! (My lateness strikes again!)
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

I used to run a free FTP program which I setup 100% access through a cookied iFrame. All I did then was design the site around the iFrame (free server) and leave the computer on. Your only spend then is electricity.
StormKeeper
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by StormKeeper »

Using your own PC as a server does work out cheaper than hosting, definately. Although one thing stops me from considering using my PC as a host, and that is the fact I'm on pay as you go electricity, which isn't a good thing if you want to be on 24/7!

Most people won't have this problem though, as far as I'm aware.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Yeah, know what you mean - I ran my own apache server for 3 years 24/7, then began the meteoric price rise so I only ran it part time, eventually the cost got too great and I closed it. Plus there was the bandwidth hoggin when * I * needed to use it, so that's an issue for downloader types. But you really can't beat at least trying your own server - learning the setup, hands on with the code and the logs instead of being at the mercy of some mysterious backroom coder whom you HOPE has made backups in case it ever goes down.

It's a lot of responsibility, but a great deal of fun too !

One other thing ... no holidays.... yeah, you have to be there to reset if the PC crashes lol .... :duh:
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

StormKeeper / Matrix: Thanks for the offers and info, I've got a couple of solutions already.

I would love to run my own server from home, but its impossible on many levels. Here in Canada there is a Monopoly for Internet Service Providers. There are only 2 Providers. Rogers Cable and Bell Canada, on provides Cable/Internet and the Other Telephone/Internet. Rogers is Broadband / Bell is DSL.

Both in their Usage Policy state no Servers allowed... as a Matter of fact they constantly scan their network for anyone anyone running any kind of servers like FTP or MAIL.

For arguments sake, lets say they did allow for servers, now comes the next Road Block!! 90GB Per month Bandwidth Limit, although if you look at their advertising they both advertise Unlimited Internet... which in their definition means you can access the internet anytime you want... unlimited access... but in actuality you only have an allowance of 90GB and that is a combined value of Download/Upload usage.

As you can imagine if I tune into any of the Streaming Radio or Video sites, I can chew through my limit in no time than they charge $1 per GB after that.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120