Is Rob Hubbard's Lightforce an original piece or a cover?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Smirnoff Ice

Is Rob Hubbard's Lightforce an original piece or a cover?

Post by Smirnoff Ice »

I've been puzzled about whether Lightforce is an original or a cover, and if it's a cover who made the original?
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Is Rob Hubbard's Lightforce an original piece or a cover?

Post by Chris Abbott »

It's original. At least, if it's a cover, it's the best kept secret in the C64 music world, short of the sexchange by... oh, sorry.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Smirnoff Ice

Post by Smirnoff Ice »

That's amazing. Well it's amazing at any rate. I just wondered when I read the ""Is LF a cover? I don't remember if it was."-comment from him, one would think he would remember that.

Whatabout Knucklebusters?

(To clearify when I write "cover" that also includes a song that's got a great deal of inspiration or bits and pieces from other songs that can be named)
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

What about International Karate? I'm almost sure I've heard something very similar from David Bowie but can't remember the name of the tune. Can any of you?

The STIL entries don't say anything about Bowie, though.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Smirnoff Ice

Post by Smirnoff Ice »

Title: Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
Cover: From the movie
Artist: Ryuichi Sakamoto & David Sylvian

Bowie starred in that movie, maybe that's it?

Here's the songs on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkWjsT_S ... re=related
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Some early C64 Tunes were based on or borrowed from Jarre, Kraftwerk, Vangelis or any other popular music of the era. But I dont think Lifeforce was a cover of anything.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Better late than never I guess...

From the day i heard Lightforce on the c64 to this very day something sat uncomfortably with me about the tune. I have always sworn I've heard it before but I've never come slightly close to proving it. I guess it's influenced rather than covered but I know where you are coming from cos it does feel highly familiar. Since the man who knows everything about everything when it comes to c64 and covers "Warren Pilkington" has never brought it to my attention I'm kinda sitting on the path that it's just sounds familiar rather than it being so.
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

tas wrote:Since the man who knows everything about everything when it comes to c64 and covers "Warren Pilkington" has never brought it to my attention I'm kinda sitting on the path that it's just sounds familiar rather than it being so.
There is a familiar sound to it, that's for sure. I think it's because the chord progression of the opening part is quite similar to many 1980s synth chord progressions in plenty of songs, but that's purely coincidental rather than intentional, to be honest. I'd be surprised if this actually was a cover, as there's enough Hubbard touches in there to make it sound more than original. Nonetheless, it's a darn fine tune!
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------