Delta Mix-e-Load....Here's a thought......

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Delta Mix-e-Load....Here's a thought......

Post by Dumper »

This sounds very exciting. :clap:
smila
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by smila »

well - if someone wants the lovely job of ripping all the orig tunelets we can make a start fairly soon.
then it'll just be a case of replacing each bit when its done (asuming the length of each bit will remain the same)
woop tis a remaker
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

Well with regards to extracting the various parts this is going to be more difficult than I originally thought.

The .sid file in HVSC only appears to have 16 preset configurations for the player and some of those randomly select parts so it's difficult to extract them cleanly.

Ideally we need a .sid file that can play the individual parts in isolation when selecting the various subtunes (i.e. song 1-4 plays the 4 leads in isolation, song 5-11 play the 6 bass and 12-16 play the 5 drums).

Sadly my knowledge of the .SID format plus the fact I haven't looked at disassembled 6510 code for over 20 years means this is going to be tricky for me to perform.

The other thing that I did notice that even in the demo is when you select a specific lead and bassline they appear to play in a completely random key and are linked. Plus the drums channel (ch-2) sometimes pick up notes from the lead channel (ch-1).

So as you can see this is not as trivial as I first suspected but I will see if I can't figure this thing out - I am already starting to remember my 6510 with this little project :)
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
smila
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by smila »

here's the kinda look iam going for arty wise.
screen res is 1024x768 so the text is easy to read unlike in this scaled down piccy -

woop tis a remaker
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Woah Smila ! That's top quality stuff. Now we need some SID techie to help extract to midi. I played with this again, the other day using SIDplay and all the possible permutations of the tune are contained in the SID file. Trouble is (as Skitz has pointed out) the extraction ain't so simple.
Lets hope this wonderful mockup artwork inspires someone to assist.

Tomsk
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

tomsk wrote:Woah Smila ! That's top quality stuff. Now we need some SID techie to help extract to midi. I played with this again, the other day using SIDplay and all the possible permutations of the tune are contained in the SID file. Trouble is (as Skitz has pointed out) the extraction ain't so simple.
Lets hope this wonderful mockup artwork inspires someone to assist.

Tomsk
I haven't tried the sid yet, but SIDPlay for Mac is mighty powerful and has the possibility to mute channels and things. Will that do?
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

StuC_Ovine
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by StuC_Ovine »

How about a SID2MIDI convert ?
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

How long is each melodie and drums and so on? When I listen they seem to be around 38 seconds?

It wouldn't be too hard to extract the stuff from that with sid2midi but it will take some time to get everything right :D

I anyone with a good ear could play along the sid and record in a seqencer cause the melodies and stuff doesn't seem too advanced except the arpeggios? :P

It will be a neat project for sure when it is finished, a different kind of co-op :D

@smila: Nice pic btw, althogh I find the names for each instrument alittle small, maybe cause I have a a 1680*1050 resolution :D
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
smila
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by smila »

at 1024x768 the text is perfectly readable ;)
woop tis a remaker
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

Yeah I figured lol :D
Soundcloud PowerTrace
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

I haven't tried the sid yet, but SIDPlay for Mac is mighty powerful and has the possibility to mute channels and things. Will that do?
You can still mute channels on PC sidplay too, but as mentioned working out the arps would be a bit of a bugger ;)
Really we need some solid midi so everyone has a good basepoint to work from - we haven't all got great ear-to-midi like Trace ;)

I just noticed Smila - the smallest detail in the scrolly message....."Delta Re-mix-e-load"....so simple yet a perfect choice for me :)

Keep up the brainstorming, I think we're moving in the right direction.
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

tomsk wrote: we haven't all got great ear-to-midi like Trace ;)
LOL I didn't say I have a great ear-to-midi ear, though I do alittle but not enough ;)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
smila
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by smila »

Yeah i thought remix-e-load sounded about right ;) , although ive no idea where the bizzare spelling of delta came from .... a mix of delta and retro methinks hehe.

As well as the orig setup i'd also like todo an attract mode which just plays music randomly (or maybe plays a saved mix the player has done) and has a 3d version of the delta ship flying through space - ive already got the ship built so again it shouldnt be to much work todo.
woop tis a remaker
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

Smila: What do you use for programming your games and stuff? :D
It feels like I want to give programming a shot for once, I have been to lazy to start though I wanted to back in the c64 days :P :bash:
Soundcloud PowerTrace
smila
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by smila »

most of our stuff is done in blitz3d by stu
anything i do alone is done in multimediafusion ( cos i cant programe )
i stick to doing art/design
woop tis a remaker