C64 Brandname

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> I think Ironstone want to "play" here:

Er, well, yes, obviously an unauthorised Commodore product in the retail chain is going to come under... pressure. Why shouldn't it? They're making a quick buck off someone else's intellectual property, or at least
in this case, brand name.

Hmm, if there was a mobile with Spectrum games and one with C64 games, I know which I'd choose :)

Chris
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Well it seems the Speccy emulator has already been made for the mobile phones, and it's just been sold to a japanese company. I guess it's a matter of time now before we see it in the shops.

i guess if ironstone really wanna do something with impact then they ourt to be on the case for doing the same thing with the c64 stuff.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> i guess if ironstone really wanna do something with impact then
> they ourt to be on the case for doing the same thing with the c64 stuff.

My thoughts exactly. It's the only way I can see them making it work.

Interesting to see what games they'll put out on the Speccy.
We do administer Speccy tunes as well...

Chris
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

One thing i don't like about the new c64 logo is that they have changed the colours :?
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
wobbler
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

new C64 logo

Post by wobbler »

Just what the FUCK is matter with people that tend to think that rebranding is a matter of 'adding a spicy bevel here and there and... uhm.. well... tilt the letters a bit'?

Why, oh why did they destroy the good old logotype? It wasn't (isn't) perhaps as good looking as the Atari logotype, but it's sure one of the greatest logotypes among computer manufacturers. How do they plan to use this shitty logo I ask myself. Bevels? Drop shadows? Oh my god... it looks like some 14-year old have chucked a couple of factory settings in PS on top of a poorly converted CMYK-coloured EPS-text.

I am very, very disappointed.
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Re: new C64 logo

Post by ifadeo »

wobbler wrote:Oh my god... it looks like some 14-year old have chucked a couple of factory settings in PS on top of a poorly converted CMYK-coloured EPS-text.

I am very, very disappointed.
That's exactly my thougts too... :wink:

In my time at BBDO, I never saw such a ugly/bad redesign for a Logo...

cheers 2Klang
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

NO (TM) ?

Post by Analog-X64 »

I noticed no (TM) on those logos.

Does this mean they did not re-apply for a TradeMark?

If they dont have a Trade Mark for the New C64 Intellectual Property can they go after people?
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Messing with the logo...

This clearly shows us that those guys don't have a clue in what to do with the commodore rights they acquired.

My thoughts?

Another silly startup that will be dead in no time.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

It's only because of sites like this that the C64 community is so large, so it really pisses me off that a company comes along and tries to stop the people that have kept the C64 alive. If they stop us lot their new logo is dead in the water, hopefully some common sense will prevail and we can all keep smiling.
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Hopefully, their new logo will be reworked, but the press release seems to state that this is final. I emailed them a lengthy text based on my warblings on Lemon. We'll see whether I get anything more than a stock response... I guess some people fail to understand the importance of branding.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Trademarks Explained

Post by Analog-X64 »

A Trademark is usually defined as a name, logo, image, photograph, slogan or piece of text that distinguishes an item or service from another. This sort of identifiable symbol is used by companies, bands and singers to create an instantly recognised 'brand identity' that sets them apart from other similar services or products. For instance, a band can 'Trademark' their Band Name and Logo to prevent others from using them.

A good example of a 'Trademark' image is the 'Apple' corporation whose neat little logo is instantly identifies them to the viewer.

In the UK the Patent Office oversees the registration of Trade Marks and it states that: "To be registerable, a trade mark must be distinctive for the goods/services for which registration is sought and not deceptive, or contrary to law or morality and not identical or similar to any earlier marks for the same or similar goods/services."

Deliberate use of a mark currently registered by a company or individual without their knowledge is a criminal offence known as counterfeit. The guilty party can be sued for infringement under the trade mark laws if you can show that their mark is being used on a similar product or service and bears a resemblance to your own.

Owners of unregistered marks can still prevent others from using them by proving prior use and convicing a court that the other party is using a word, logo or image that is associated with you.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> so it really pisses me off that a company comes along and tries to
> stop the people that have kept the C64 alive.
They've said they're not going to try to stop us. In public.
So you can stop being pissed off now, yes?

Chris
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

They've said they're not going to try to stop us. In public.
So you can stop being pissed off now, yes?

Thats good, my pissed offness has now subsided :D
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Also they've said that they've got various versions of the logo, flat, non-shadowed, non-bevelled. So looks like a lot of the fuss was for nothing...

They'll be sending me said logos for C64Audio, so let's see how they are.
Those logos were probably done to appeal to journalists when
seen standalone or in print. A flat logo would look boring on its own.
Probably. Maybe.

Chris