Timbaland Court Case starts on Wednesday

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
thomastvivlarenDOTse
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Re: Timbaland Court Case starts on Wednesday

Post by thomastvivlarenDOTse »

Darn, forgot this link which is also a good summary of what has been touched upon in this thread:

http://chipflip.wordpress.com/plagiarism/

Btw, just listened to Makke's stuff and that was pretty excellent! :nod:
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

thomastvivlarenDOTse wrote:Darn, forgot this link which is also a good summary of what has been touched upon in this thread:

http://chipflip.wordpress.com/plagiarism/

Btw, just listened to Makke's stuff and that was pretty excellent! :nod:
Glider Rider is great too :)

Now if only a movement of bloggers would actually enrich the scene instead of Sony (Rage Against the Machine, I'm looking at you!), we'd be laughing ;-) *sigh* We just don't have that luck around here. It's part of our charm ;-)
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
thomastvivlarenDOTse
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Chris Abbott wrote: Glider Rider is great too :)

Now if only a movement of bloggers would actually enrich the scene instead of Sony (Rage Against the Machine, I'm looking at you!), we'd be laughing ;-) *sigh* We just don't have that luck around here. It's part of our charm ;-)
Actually I was referring to the whole concept of adding a voice to remixes which I found very appealing. As a scene-addict I found all the tracks very good! :)

Hmm, it's me again, the dumb swede. *waving a sign stating "Confused!"* Rage Against the Machine?

I think our charm is great! However I also feel that a lot of people, including excellent musicians from the scene, need to learn to understand this new age of ours a bit better and use the tools there are to the best of their ability. For instance, "bloggers" are basically normal people (normal as in 3 arms, 2 heads and often with a severe syndrome called "cakehole diarrhea"...or perhaps that is just me). Normal people using a tool of The Information Era. Think of why most people don't refer to everyday people using pens and paper in their everyday life as "scribblers" or people using phones as "phoners" ("phreakers" used to be a valid term though depending on the definition of "use" *coughing*). It's because these tools are old and have gradually adapted to become necessities of our daily lives and nothing odd and peculiar like for instance blogs still seem to be in many people's eyes.

From the perspective of musicians, I think it is important to learn how to use the many tools of The Information Era (I have a serious crush on that expression) in order to enable marketing, a social relationship to fans (which eventually is likely to transfer into an economic one), distribution, sales etc. All this can be achieved today without obsolete middle-hands, e.g. recording companies, and with basically no other resources than a decent ISP, an Internet-terminal and the know-how of what can be achieved and how to achieve it.

A fairly good Swedish initiative in line with the just mentioned is XtremeCreator (alas, only in Swedish):

http://www.xtremecreator.com/

It's an initiative by a couple of fellow members of the Pirate Party. Writing this I realise there is likely a great demand for an English version too so I will try and lobby for that...

An excellent example of how to use the above knowledge is Andreas Viklund (yet another fellow member) who used that kind of approach long before XtremeCreator even existed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ki1AQpo7iE
http://amp.dascene.net/detail.php?view= ... =interview

I long for the day when "have you heard Reyn?" is not met with "Hmmm...rain? It's bloody snowing here" or "do you like the music of Tel?" is not met with "sure, I can you tell you about some music, have you heard Timbaland's Apologize (to Gallefoss)?".

I mean the reason why many musicians of the scene is not famous in broader terms has absolutely nothing to do with their lack of skill and talent but more with how they remain outside the focus of people's scope of attention.

Oh yes, I almost forgot. I am not sure if you have heard about Edwyn Collins but he had a big hit many years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkKxGzm98AU

It seems he really got screwed:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/oc ... ring-music

Cheers!
thomastvivlarenDOTse
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

New blog-post in English:
Gallefoss vs Timbaland - Newsflash
http://www.thomastvivlaren.se/2010/01/g ... flash.html

It seems someone at Universal is pissed. Read more using the link.

Cheers!
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I've now read the best evidence from the best expert witnesses that Universal can come up with about this case. If there's any justice in the world at all, he's even more toast than he was before.

Chris
thomastvivlarenDOTse
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Chris Abbott wrote:I've now read the best evidence from the best expert witnesses that Universal can come up with about this case. If there's any justice in the world at all, he's even more toast than he was before.

Chris
I always liked toast and I don't see that changing... ;)
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Don't roast it for too long... burned toast doesn't taste good. :lol:
All is lost.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Karma will take care of it.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
thomastvivlarenDOTse
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

It's breakfast time, I want my toast! :D

Yet another small post on the remix-culture of the demoscene. Nothing revolutionary or "new" but more for promoting it beyond the scene:

http://www.thomastvivlaren.se/2010/02/m ... scene.html
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I'm going to add here that the Zombie Nation case is heading to court soon, and we've just received Zombie Nation's defense: which is "mostly hot air". What they have tried to do is claim that David couldn't have written the tune Zombie Nation used, because there were other covers in the game. Therefore, he didn't write it. You have to watch the following smiley about 100 times to get my true feelings about that:

:roll:

Zombie Nation is trying to steal not only a recording, but actual musical ownership of a musician's work: at least I think so, I've told Florian Seftner that myself, and it's in the court documents. The financial consequences of this case are actually potentially bigger than the Timbaland case.

Chris
thomastvivlarenDOTse
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

"You have to watch the following smiley about 100 times to get my true feelings about that"

LOL

The Zombie Nation story would be nice to have covered more in detail. You or anyone else wanting to make a guest post on my digital home (i.e. da blog)?

Regarding GRG I have in mind to do several demo-effects in HTML/CSS/Javascript to make the message come through to a hopefully wider audience. I was hoping to use a certain chiptune but so far no response from GRG. The message vill probably come through anyway but it would be so great considering the context... :)

Hmm, what else. Yes, a week or so ago I was notified by a Swedish version of Digg that the original post had been classified as "hot", i.e. received plenty of appreciative clicks.

Apart from that, just the other day the Swedish lobby organisation Antipiratbyrån started their own blog. The day after that yet another web-approach was noted originating from the big entertainment companies. I am sure it is all a matter of coincidence...

There is most likely more to come in the future! :)

Cheers!
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

...they sail the high-seas of bankruptsyyyyy... (slightly altered snippet from MPFC)

If they want war in the internet about copyright, they shall have it. ARRR!!!
Copyright doesn't work in just one direction! :arr:
All is lost.
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Chris Abbott wrote:What they have tried to do is claim that David couldn't have written the tune Zombie Nation used, because there were other covers in the game. Therefore, he didn't write it.
That's good news, because logically, Zombie Nation couldn't have written [insert any Zombie Nation tune] because his catalogue includes a cover. This, presumably, means everyone can go ahead and record and profit from any one of 'his' tunes, because he couldn't have written them, right?

Or: idiots.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

CraigG wrote:
Chris Abbott wrote:What they have tried to do is claim that David couldn't have written the tune Zombie Nation used, because there were other covers in the game. Therefore, he didn't write it.
That's good news, because logically, Zombie Nation couldn't have written [insert any Zombie Nation tune] because his catalogue includes a cover. This, presumably, means everyone can go ahead and record and profit from any one of 'his' tunes, because he couldn't have written them, right?

Or: idiots.
lol :) Great thinking ;-)
goto80

Post by goto80 »

hey, anyone knows if there's been any progress on this lately, in particular with the Kernkraft-case?