For those GBA hacks for SID or C64 Emulation...

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

For those GBA hacks for SID or C64 Emulation...

Post by RobinsonMason »

Here's a neat device for a low price - I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't jumped on this...

Haven't bought it myself (yet), but I assume it just will run the typical GBA rom filez (had to add the "z" there). And though I've never played with them, I have read about GBA SID player projects...so I'm assuming those would also work here. Is there such a thing as a Game Boy Advance-based C64 emulator...?

I know knockoffs like these have been around, but Geeks.com is a pretty mainstream site for electronics, so I was surprised to see this on sale.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... II&cpc=SCH

The Game King-III supports 16-bit GB/GBC games and 8-bit NES games and has an SD card slot for adding up to 2 GB via an SD card. Its USB interface makes for quick and easy data transfers!

Features/Specifications:

* 1 GB Game King-III Portable MP4/MP3 Digital Media Player
* General Features:
* White design
* 1 GB memory
* SD Card slot: supports up to 2 GB SD Card
* Game: supports 16-bit GB/GBC (Game Boy) games, 8-bit NES games
* Built-in Camera
* USB interface
* 2.3-inch color TFT screen (320 x 240)
* Video Format: AVI
* Audio Support: MP3, WMA, WAV, ADPCM, AMR
* Picture Support: JPEG, BMP, GIF
* FM Radio
* E-Book: support TXT format files
* Built-in microphone for recording (stored as WAV file)
* Menu Language: English/Chinese

* Unit Dimensions:
* 2.5 x 4.75 x 0.5-inches (H x W x D, approximate)

* Regulatory Approvals:
* CE

Package Includes:

* 1 GB Game King-III Portable MP4/MP3 Digital Media Player
* AC power adapter/charger (100 - 240V, 50/60Hz)
* User's Manual
* 3-inch type Driver CD
* A/V cable
* USB cable
* Earbuds
* Carrying pouch

Additional Information:

* Product Requirements:
* Pentium 100 MHz CPU
* Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
* 32 MB RAM
* 15 MB hard drive space
* Available USB port
* Available power outlet
* Optical drive (to load driver CD)
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: For those GBA hacks for SID or C64 Emulation...

Post by RobinsonMason »

Now that looks sweet. But the price is about 10X the one I posted. LOL. I can slip the "Game King" past my wife's watchful eye (or gain approval), but not the Pandora.

Thie reminds me - I have a stash of old laptops that I've revived with Linux (or XP) and about 512MB --- I'm going to do an article on my blog on how I took a new-old-stock laptop and converted it into a purpose-built C64 Emulator. :)

On the other hand, that Pandora sure looks nice and portable....(drool)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

RobinsonMason wrote:Now that looks sweet. But the price is about 10X the one I posted. LOL. I can slip the "Game King" past my wife's watchful eye (or gain approval), but not the Pandora.

Thie reminds me - I have a stash of old laptops that I've revived with Linux (or XP) and about 512MB --- I'm going to do an article on my blog on how I took a new-old-stock laptop and converted it into a purpose-built C64 Emulator. :)

On the other hand, that Pandora sure looks nice and portable....(drool)
Very interesting product there. I normally just haxxors.. the really deal ;)

Would be interesting to read your article I do have some old laptops kicking around.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

Analog-X64 wrote:
Would be interesting to read your article I do have some old laptops kicking around.
Well like most articles on my site they are geared towards people who are at the introductory level of emulation or casual interest in the C64 scene, so unless you haven't touched something like that in years it might be too basic for you.

Ultimately the "tutorial" will be for people intimidated by things like installing an OS, or with little knowledge of how the actual C64 worked back when...so essentially it will be - Determine if environment is adequate, Install OS, Install VICE, Apply C64 Keyboard Stickers, configure accessories, create associations - clear desktop..... Not much actual physical work involved, but stuff computer saavy people take for granted.

To give an idea of my approach, here's my "step by step" emulation: http://c64walkabout.com/2008/12/03/step ... -a-pc.aspx
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

RobinsonMason wrote: Is there such a thing as a Game Boy Advance-based C64 emulator...?
Yes:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21407

It's pretty decent too as I recall, but the best handheld C64 Emulation I have used so far (out of PSP, NDS and GBA) has been via the GP2X's VICE emulator. Pandora should be top when it finally arrives and will hopefully have enough power to give us some decent SID emulation, too.

*edit* Sorry - just ignore me. Never was a GBA version of a C64 Emulator (above link is for FRODO DS version). It must be my age... :duh:
Last edited by Tonka on 28/01/2009 - 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

And that is important - I remember having high hope for my Pocket PC's emulation capabilities with Pocket 64, but a real keyboard and wide screen is simply a must --- the tall, narrow screen and touch virtual keyboard on a Pocket PC (iPaq) just was not good --- I enjoy playing too many text adventures and that sort of thing that require extensive keyboard use. The Pandora would be perfect for that.