What inspires you to choose a particular SID to remix?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

What inspires you to choose a particular SID to remix?

Post by RobinsonMason »

What usually gets you interested in choosing one SID over another to remix?

OR

What prompted you to do your last remix?

1. Playing around with synth and reminded of a particular SID
2. Listening to HVSC tracks
3. Checking out the "Remix Suggestions" forum viewforum.php?f=6
4. Someone else's really butt-kicking remix
5. A game you really enjoyed
6. Worshipping at the altar of the gods of SID (Hubbard, Galway, Daglish, etc.)
7. Heard the tune so many times that it was stuck in your head and you had to get it out via Remix (Human Race, Comic Bakery, etc.)

Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Re: What inspires you to choose a particular SID to remix?

Post by Mordi »

I sometimes just browse around in HVSC on a boring day and listen to any tune that sounds cool. I've found some great SID artists this way, that I otherwise wouldn't hear much about.
Check out my website.
Instant Remedy
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Instant Remedy »

Options 2 and 4

2. I also done like Mordi, I've actually listened through artists A to about L (phew), almost every single SID but it takes TIME. I usually do it while at work, many hours to spend listening there. The ratio of remixable/good ones aren't so good. I haven't couted but it's probably way less than 1%. But it's worth it, if you just find 5 great ones there is enough material to get busy for a long time.
Plastic Pop by Tomas Danko for example is a tune that recently have been a pretty popular tune at RKO, but when I found it I've never heard it (wasn't even on RKO at the time) and I thought it was way cool. Now it's beginning to get over-remixed so remixing it would feel like "ok, Plasic Pop again , yawn". But there sure are more gems to find out there, also from lesser known composers.

4. Another way good to discover new SIDs is just by checking RKO, lots of unknown material for me there. By hearing someones elses take on it a particular tune may make you discover its great remixing potential.

When I started remixing option number 5 was the only this option, I wanted to remix the music from the games I played. I don't do this anymore, probably because I've run out of games that had great music.
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

3, 5, 6 over here.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

In fact, it's 1-7 for me...
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

5 & 7.....

cheers!
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

My last remix, The hvsc trawl would be the answer to that.

But alot of my remixes have been because ive got fond memories of those tunes (creatures etc) and wanted to interpret them myself
Marcel Donné
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Marcel Donné »

RobinsonMason wrote: 7. Heard the tune so many times that it was stuck in your head and you had to get it out via Remix (Human Race, Comic Bakery, etc.)
For the last week I've had a SID in my head and it just keeps popping up so I guess I'll just have to do a remix of it.

Even more good ie. better is that I just checked RKO and it hasn't been remixed before :wink:

Let me have a bleep in my studio this week and see what I can come up with
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Marcel Donné wrote:For the last week I've had a SID in my head and it just keeps popping up so I guess I'll just have to do a remix of it.

Even more good ie. better is that I just checked RKO and it hasn't been remixed before :wink:

Let me have a bleep in my studio this week and see what I can come up with
Yah! Can't wait. The world needs more Marcel Donné. :D

Also, find an excuse to pop over to Copenhagen at some point. I still owe you a pint of the black stuff for the use of that "SID.. the final frontier!" jingle.
Condor
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Condor »

2. Listening to HVSC tracks
5. A game you really enjoyed
6. Worshipping at the altar of the gods of SID (Hubbard, Galway, Daglish, etc.)
But, sometimes
4. Someone else's really butt-kicking remix
:D
I found many great SID tunes by browsing through HVSC that can be remixed...
But most of the time I search the HVSC by defined words, such as "dark", "slow"... & similar words. If name of SID is great, and overall feeling of tune great, it goes into special "to-do" folder ;)
I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?
Marcel Donné
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Marcel Donné »

Jan Lund Thomsen wrote: Yah! Can't wait. The world needs more Marcel Donné. :D

Also, find an excuse to pop over to Copenhagen at some point. I still owe you a pint of the black stuff for the use of that "SID.. the final frontier!" jingle.
Current #4 in the upload queue :D

I don't travel that much anymore but I'm sure I could talk my GF to go to Copenhagen with me at some point. If we make it that far I'll make sure to give you a shout! :)

PS. Good luck with the piano lessons ;)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Almost always because the SID "takes me back"... a nostalgic reaktion HAS to be induced in me, or I won't do it... the only exeption to this is the first entry I ever made here... the AMJ "Tiikerihai" remix, which I simply liked for it's folk-stuff kind of feel...

Therefore it's usualy only the SID's of old that I remix, from about 1983 to 1990 when I switched to AMIGA.

A few later tunes by other composers HAVE fallen into my interrest to be honest... DRAX for example because of his ever-groovy basslines, and a few others I cannot remember right now...
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Doddsy »

An idea or inspiration for a certain style after listening to a sid tune. Some I'd like to do as they were classics back in my day - Ocean Loader, One Man And His Droid, Thing on a spring etc but most have been remixed heavily so its difficult to add anything new.
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

Doddsy wrote:An idea or inspiration for a certain style after listening to a sid tune. Some I'd like to do as they were classics back in my day - Ocean Loader, One Man And His Droid, Thing on a spring etc but most have been remixed heavily so its difficult to add anything new.
Martin, how did appreciation for the classics build in your day? As an avid C64 gamer up until about 1988 who admittedly had a heavy bias towards RPGs, I didn't know about many of these songs or composer names until relatively recently getting into listening to C64 remixes. I think I maybe had one Ocean game but didn't remember the tune.

Were you a musician for C64 games? Part of the "demo" scene?

Although I appreciate them in retrospect, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to buy a coin-op style action game like Crazy Comets, or a platform game that would have been more at home on a Nintendo -- I'd spend my limited money on something like Below the Root, M.U.L.E., Text Adventures, Strategy Games or the Ultima series instead. Games that required keyboard interaction to some degree. I always felt those were the types of games that made the most of the Commodore 64. Now I realize that in places like the UK there was a huge market for low-budget games like those of the Dizzy series, and those had some wicked little tunes in them. I can see how those would be popular.

In the States I recall no such market for budget titles, but then again I was a kid with limited cash being saved up for some big-budget expensive RPG with a cloth map and a lead ankh and 10 diskettes. ;)

I remember having a disk of SIDs that a friend gave me, but they were mostly covers of pop songs by Cyndi Lauper or Michael Jackson or something like that. Heck, they might have been in that .MUS format! There was no way I was going to be exposed to many of the "classic" tunes so often in the C64Audio.com roster.

I guess I feel like I missed out, and am wondering what that "scene" was and who comprised it....?
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Doddsy »

I've always liked C64 music, partly because it has the best 8-bit sound chip and no other home computer sounded like it. Sometimes I'd get a game just for the soundtrack. I also had a PD demo disk for my Amiga called; "The top 100 C64 tunes." this is where I heard the majority of them.