C64 emulator for iPhone

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Hacky
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

C64 emulator for iPhone

Post by Hacky »

Hacky
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Re: C64 emulator for iPhone

Post by Hacky »

amagad and SID player too: http://iphone.vanille.de/sidplayer/
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

Very cool - I'd like to test it first, though.

A few problems with C64 emulation on handheld devices I've run in to include difficult to read text in some games, poor keyboard input --- especially for something like a text adventure --- and clunky joystick controls.

I have an iPaq with Pocket64, and while I love the idea of running C64 games on the go, the concept has been more attractive than the reality of gaming on the go with the problems mentioned above.

A good SID player would always be awesome. My only problems with SID players have been that they often do not automatically go from track to track, but wait for manual intervention to move on.
Bog
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Bog »

Oh frak me.

Just stuck the SID Player on. It's hooked straight into the HVSC, so tap, scroll, tap, Sanxion Loader, giggle giggle giggle giggle grin tap Sanxion titles (it seems to load the SID properly so all the subtunes play without user intervention) and oh my word giggle giggle, splutter WAHEY!

*bounces*

That's worth less than the price of a pint alright. THANK you!

*bouncebouncebouncebouncebounce*
Pixel tamer
Mark "Bog" Hennessy-Barrett. Chris says you should ask me about the Wizball video ;)
Or go look at http:/www.imaginetix.co.uk
Bog
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Bog »

Just to confirm, I've had my cans on and the iPhone SID Player set to "Galway" since that last post, and it's been peacefully stepping from choon to choon (Green Beret to Helikopter Jagd just now), placidly downloading the next SID with the device's screen switched off and it in my pocket. It just keeps playing until you stop it.

Downside: Dead battery.
Upside: Dude. If I have to tell you the upside, you may be reading the wrong forum. Really.

NERDGASM!
Pixel tamer
Mark "Bog" Hennessy-Barrett. Chris says you should ask me about the Wizball video ;)
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

I may have to get a iPhone now! :)
Bog
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Bog »

Well, I was getting unbelievably, unspeakably fecked off with mine - DRM issues, sync issues, fecking iPubes on a PC gnnnnnaaaaarrgghBOG SMASH!!!!!

Then this happenned.

Now I wuv my ickle iPhoneywoney. I does. I wuv it. Wiv my heartses!

All full of SIDdy goodness for the seventeen point three eight seconds it's battery lasts from a full charge.

*bounce*
Pixel tamer
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Steve B »

Bog wrote:All full of SIDdy goodness for the seventeen point three eight seconds it's battery lasts from a full charge.
good ol battery drain ...

turn off wi-fi (unless you are using it)
turn off location services (unless you are using it)
turn down the screen brightness (i manage on less than 1/3rd brightness for most of the time)

do these things and the battery will last over a DAY !! :shock:
I C 64 People

Computers can never replace human stupidity
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

The SID Player's not bad, although a bit feature-light (as I said in my review on iPhoneTiny. However, the author got back to me and said playlists are coming in an update, which is the main downside to the app.

As for a C64 emulator on the device, don't hold your breath.