Best Melody in a Cruddy SID?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Best Melody in a Cruddy SID?

Post by RobinsonMason »

What nice little melodies do you really like that belong to some very low-tech SIDs?

Any come to mind? They don't have to be terrible songs, just simplistic, old-school or not very impressive to listen to in SID format -- but with a neat catchy little tune. Perfect candidates for 1:1 remakes.

Maybe something that sticks in your head - :bash: - like Subtune #12 from Yie Ar Kung Fu (actually I think this is a real pre-existing Chinese song I heard when I took a trip to China) - http://fonix.dyndns.org:40000/soasc/MOS ... 12.sid.mp3

Or Mail Order Monsters - http://fonix.dyndns.org:40000/soasc/MOS ... 01.sid.mp3

Or for non C64 specific to give you an idea....the background tunes from Dig Dug or Xevious (for Xevious include both intro and background tracks). Ahhhh! Can't get them out of my head! Burgertime -- ahhhh! :help:

Could be something really long and detailed, too, just...simple...without all of the cool advances and expert techniques in SID sound. Say like the Ultima 3-5 tunes.

Links from Stone Oakvalley's authentic SID collection... http://fonix.dyndns.org:40000/soasc/ind ... r+monsters

Last edited by RobinsonMason on 31/03/2009 - 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Best Melody in a Cruddy SID?

Post by Chris Abbott »

I don't think you mean "badly composed", actually, since that would logically mean the musical content was bad.

The situation is complicated by the fact that a lot of old-school stuff sounds simple but is really quite clever: like David Dunn's stuff, for example.

In the "grindy but lovely" front, I'd nominate anything by Paul Norman, and also nominate anything by Paul Hodgkins in the Taskset games, Graeme Hansford's stuff for Interceptor, James Lisney's stuff for Llamasoft or early Ben Daglish :)

Also Bogg's stuff.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

True - although I was also thinking of the old tune from Telengard (subtune #1 - http://www.slayradio.org/sid_info.php?s ... _BASIC.sid ) that actually sounds like someone stumbling onto the next note by pressing two keys at once by mistake in a couple of parts. :P

Maybe that's its clever sort of appeal, after all, since I still like it.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

"The Eidolon" - minimal SID technically, but excellent composition.
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Have you heard Yip's 'Omega Man'? Very simplistic but some fantastic melodies in there. There's really no other SID like it... :D
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Tonka wrote:Have you heard Yip's 'Omega Man'? Very simplistic but some fantastic melodies in there. There's really no other SID like it... :D
BMX Kidz High Score?? Simplistic??? It's an incredibly complex tune, both sonically and musically...
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Chris Abbott wrote:
Tonka wrote:Have you heard Yip's 'Omega Man'? Very simplistic but some fantastic melodies in there. There's really no other SID like it... :D
BMX Kidz High Score?? Simplistic??? It's an incredibly complex tune, both sonically and musically...
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Tonka wrote:
Chris Abbott wrote:
Oh, right, that was "3rd Scroll from the left" or whatever in BMX Kidz, wasn't it? OK, I'll let you off..
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Chris Abbott wrote:
Oh, right, that was "3rd Scroll from the left" or whatever in BMX Kidz, wasn't it? OK, I'll let you off..
There -ya see what happens when you try to be a smarty pants?!

"Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out, Abbott"...

:lol:
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

:rofl:
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

LMan wrote:"The Eidolon" - minimal SID technically, but excellent composition.
There is an awesome mix of that that is always on any RKO cds I have in the car... oh wait, that was by you!

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

[exturl=http://fonix.dyndns.org:40000/soasc/MOS6581R2/MUSICIANS/V/Vieira_Bob/Super_Cycle_T01.sid.mp3]Super Cycle[/exturl] by Bob Vieira

Very cool composition, but "unlistenable" arrangement! (like most tunes in Epyx games!)

(BTW, this one has never been remixed - yet!)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

In SID style that sounds very much like the Epyx SID from Temple of Apshai Trilogy (especially about 20+ seconds in). SID Find says "Composer Unknown" for the Trilogy, but I'd bet after listening to Super Cycle that it is also by Bob Vieira!

Temple of Apshai Trilogy is another favorite "simple SID" of mine: http://www.c64.org/sidfind/index.php

I think it was only remixed once by The Plough many years ago.
Mayhem
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Mayhem »

RobinsonMason wrote:Temple of Apshai Trilogy is another favorite "simple SID" of mine: http://www.c64.org/sidfind/index.php

I think it was only remixed once by The Plough many years ago.
Nope, DJ Lizard did two versions of it, both can be listened to on Slay Radio for starters. And yeah I rather like it as well...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

omoroca wrote:[exturl=http://fonix.dyndns.org:40000/soasc/MOS6581R2/MUSICIANS/V/Vieira_Bob/Super_Cycle_T01.sid.mp3]Super Cycle[/exturl] by Bob Vieira

Very cool composition, but "unlistenable" arrangement! (like most tunes in Epyx games!)

(BTW, this one has never been remixed - yet!)
True - but those epyx SIDs have an unbeatable retro charme. :w00t: