Warhawk DS remake - NO CREDIT TO PPOT?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Warhawk DS remake - NO CREDIT TO PPOT?

Post by tomsk »

http://news.retroremakes.com/2009/04/warhawk-ds-2/

Check out the youtube video of this remake. The title screen says MUSIC BY ???????. They've obviously just ripped PPOTs Warhawk on the very last Youtube clip they posted. NOt sure about the ingame remix or the techno version heard in the other youtube clips.

Hope the boys know about this, and it's an oversight not giving credit to PPOT. :nonono:
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Warhawk DS remake - NO CREDIT TO PPOT?

Post by FFRenzy »

the ingame tune sounds a bit like Chris' version to me, from BIT 2
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride'
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Its Dany Carpentier - Warhawk (97 Mix)

I'll post on the video.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I recorded that from the MIDI file way back when :)
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
spacefractal
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by spacefractal »

Its was on a early version and it used some various mp3 of the main tunes in the ingame, title (no PPOT version) and also hiscore. That why it have ???? in that screenshot.

Today in the lastest private demo I have for this game (its AWESOME), here alll credits is of course done and corrected.

Also The PPOT music is now used on the titlescreen and I created also rest of the music, which is not released at remix64.com. Also I created 4 tunes for the game exclusive for the game, played at mono ADPCM 32khz (technical limit and filesize) and its sound really fine. Hence now the music credits is now for me (Space Fractal) and for PPOT (who also got a full screen credits "ads" too). So no worry about credits in the final version which is not to far ready.

Here is what the full screen ads look for PPOT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td5EUXigk9U

I hope that explain that out.

PS. Its the one of the original author of the C64 game which is behind this version.
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Post by beyond »

We've had contact with the guys making the game. We gave them our usual answer to these kind of projects: Clear the rights with Chris and then it is OK. So I hope they cleared the rights with you, Chris?
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Yes, it was all sorted out.

Chris
spacefractal
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by spacefractal »

The screenshots without credits was just very early, because it was mostly placeholder tunes :-D. In that time they just got the stream music part to work and used some test tunes and only created few levels.

I got contacted by HeadKaze by arcadecontrols forum to hear which kind project I was worked on (due a post on the forum), and then I dedicated to create exclusive music to this game and they really liked it after some tweek. The game also have some original tunes as well (like boss music and endgame tune, which was not easy) which is of course copyright by me and the developer. Ingame main tune is still Warkhawk of course, but the remix is now created by me, but I have shorted it to save memory and size.

Today only playtesting is really needed to get balanced correct and the game would been freeware released to the homebrew community.

As I have the private demo of the game I have to say the PPOT music is also work awesome in the title after I have got the rom file in a nice quality. Howover its not used ingame. Now with full credits.

This game is gonna to been very speciel and the most speciel is its the original programmer of C64 is behind this version. I still playtest this game with the lastest demo.

And to the last: I LOVE Warkhawk and I need a Nintendo DS soon (but played on the emulator). DS version is awesome allready in this point and run very smooth.
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

@ Spacefractal : Good stuff boys! Whether I'll actually be able to play the game is doubtful, but good luck with it, it looks smashing. I'm really pleased as punch you did everything right, and I didn't appear to want to sh*t stir, but over here (Remix 64) there have been lots of instances where stuff has been...shall we say, appropriated without consent.
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Is the remake out yet? I can't find any download links on the RetroBytes site.
KirkAndan

Post by KirkAndan »

Me too, I can't seem to find the download link. I believed it is already out.

Simulation pret
spacefractal
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by spacefractal »

The game is not finally released to the public yet. Only few people have the game as test (like me) as a private demo (hence I wont upload or release that). Its not far to public release the game.

Howover Flash might want more playtesters, so you can eventuely trying to contact him, or register at the forum and post there.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Well MY DS is waiting :)
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Analog-X64 wrote:Well MY DS is waiting :)
You should use it a little bit, otherwise it might get dusty :)
Flash
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Flash »

Sorry about the confusion with the "???"

This was just how we set up the original credits while we were unsure of what music to use..
I contacted PPOT and got a really nice reply for Jesper giving permission if Chris was happy also.. And all worked out in the end...
The titlescreen now has full credits and also the loading screens prior.

So, perhaps i should have made that all clear when i posted the vids. oops!

Thanks for all the interested garnered...

The game is "nearly" complete and we are hoping for a weekend release (this Sunday perhaps). Headkaze and myself are just going through code based on playtesters remarks/finds and then all should be ready for release!

Thanks again.