BIT Live 20xx

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: BIT Live 20xx

Post by Ziphoid »

I'll be in for a VIP-thingy, and Chris - you know you have my help with anything you need.

// Ziph
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Ziphoid wrote:I'll be in for a VIP-thingy, and Chris - you know you have my help with anything you need.

// Ziph
So I'll put you down for ten, then ;-)

Thanks Ziph, and everybody who I know will help if it's needed :)

Unrelated musing

Thinking about the thing overnight: if this works it will require a lot of selflessness. We're supposed to be giving awards away, but if politics and "me-ness" infect that ("why haven't I got an award?"), or a sense of entitlement ("I deserve to be treated special, like") then it will cease to be "feel-good" and very rapidly become a nightmare.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

If it does go ahead and i DO make it, let me give an award away pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze :)
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

Chris,

I have to say *sigh* at the idea of another theatre. Thought you would have learnt some lessons by now mate????

Sit down, and no decent bar... enough said?

m
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

madfiddler wrote:Chris,

I have to say *sigh* at the idea of another theatre. Thought you would have learnt some lessons by now mate????

Sit down, and no decent bar... enough said?

m
Er, the main lesson I learned from the other theatre thing was "Don't make a DVD of it": that and St. Luke's wasn't really a theatre, it was a big gym. I think Bloomsbury does have a bar(s): most theatres do for the interval, don't they? As for sit-down, it's a show: people are actually meant to look at the stage and pay attention. Brighton didn't quite work for the paying attention part because it was essentially a pub-area set up in a big hall. St. Luke's didn't suffer from the talking, but the feel was quite sterile. And there's no shortage of people here who have enjoyed concerts with seating, as long as there's continuous entertainment.

The main question is this: is Back in Time Live something where
(1) you go to see stuff, or
(2) you go to see people and have some stuff happening in the background which you may or may not pay attention to?

Because I can't really see the point of (2), since everyone might as well just meet in a pub: no one needs me for that. BIT Live is supposed to be an event: and events feature performers, who should have the audience's attention, and a flow of varied entertainment.

Maybe I'm projecting and what people want is the beer?

Chris
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

(2) you go to see people and have some stuff happening in the background which you may or may not pay attention to?
I'd say the last venue at London BIT was just like this! However, when the acts were on, people did pay attention (or were given an opportunity to properly enjoy the act - i.e. dance). Easy access to the bar, room to boogie and an opportunity to mingle and meet with friends you only see once in a blue moon...I think it was spot on! I found the trouble with a seated venue was, although you got a prime view of the acts, afterwards there was so little time to meet people who had come over soley for the event.

Just a view.....
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

This time, there's supposed to be an actual show attached: which has a narrative, and detail that needs people to pay attention: plus the very venue mitigates against it. However, the show part would also have to be a lot shorter than other BIT Lives: perhaps 2 hours.

The problem we have here, boiled down, is that people would only make that journey if promised something special: something over and above merely meeting other people, though obviously that has traditionally been a big part of it. However, once they've made that journey, they're so excited by the other people that half of them just don't pay attention to the stuff they came to see.

So basically, if BIT Live didn't offer something different and out of the norm, then it wouldn't be a BIT Live and people wouldn't come.

Are these problems fixed with an ancillary meeting attached to the event? In this case, we'd be able to do a 7.30 or 8pm start (St Luke's was a problem because of the early 9pm out-time), which would mean plenty of time during the day for the whole meet 'n greet, capped off with an event. At St. Luke's the day had a very awkward structure because it wasn't a theatre.

Chris
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Aaand, now it's stopped being fun as reality swamps the golden dream.

I think I might have been the only one actually in love with the specific initial idea, but it was only the idea that got me "out of retirement" as it were. A nice golden theatre night with loads of performers all paying tribute to C64 composers and remixers in general and Richard Joseph in particular... it just didn't seem to have a downside.

Chris
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

tomsk wrote:I'd say the last venue at London BIT was just like this! However, when the acts were on, people did pay attention (or were given an opportunity to properly enjoy the act - i.e. dance).
Well, I did have to tell the audience to shut up a couple of times when presenting the acts. It really felt like noone gave a shit about the fact that I was trying to introduce, that's how talkie the event was - I'm not saying this was the case, I'm just saying that's how it felt when everyone was talking and appeared to not listen.

I've liked all Back In Time Live's I've been to, a lot thank's to all of them being different. I like the idea of a theatre, but it will require more planning than a "pub event" to be good.
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Chris Abbott wrote:Aaand, now it's stopped being fun as reality swamps the golden dream.

I think I might have been the only one actually in love with the specific initial idea, but it was only the idea that got me "out of retirement" as it were. A nice golden theatre night with loads of performers all paying tribute to C64 composers and remixers in general and Richard Joseph in particular... it just didn't seem to have a downside.

Chris
I love the idea too. And in all honesty if people are just going to meet up and chat, then a separate "meet" at the nearest pub/club satisfies that need.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Moad'Dib
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Moad'Dib »

Since I don't have the chance to go to this great event I suggest.... erm... would you broadcast the whole event live on the Internet.
:nod:
Feekzoid
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Feekzoid »

I for one loved 2004 @ St Lukes, and would love a repeat of something similar. I find the idea of an event where people are wandering about, gabbing at the bar and what not during a planned/organised event/performance abhorrent. It would annoy the hell out of me, like people having a conversation in a cinema during a film.

Yes, the rapid exit from St Lukes was a downer, I would have loved more time to catch up with people, but at least there was the get-together in the pub before and after to counter that a bit, and I would be happy for something similar again. My other-half and I have been looking forward to another BIT event for ages, and I've in particular been looking to reignite my interest in the scene, as I've been out of it for ages due to all sorts of personal and time issues. This would be an epic way to focus again :)

Just thinking about this makes me nostalgic about 2004's event, meeting all the usual suspects, catching up with Professor Kenz, and being amazed at the stand up routine and clever songwriting of the C64 Mafia.. whilst simultaneously wondering who that clean-cut guy was performing, not seen him before? What? Thats Makke? lol

I'm glad I have the DVD too, its a shame that it seems to have been a major bugbear to create Chris, but if its likely to further depress you about doing another event, please forget it!

I'd love another BIT, and hope you dont get too dissuaded about planning one :)
rogerxy
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by rogerxy »

Were there ever plans for a BITL2009 and if so, what happened?

Even though I prefer as it was on BITL2008, I would probably buy this VIP-ticket no matter what kind of BITL it would be
Last edited by rogerxy on 15/09/2009 - 6:24, edited 1 time in total.
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

rogerxy wrote:I would probably buy this VIP-ticket no matter what kind of BITL it would be
yea, I'll echo this one.
z9leca

Post by z9leca »

I'll be up for a VIP-ticket as well :) BIT Stockholm was awesome.