Neuromancer: 25 years later

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Re: Neuromancer: 25 years later

Post by merman »

Very cool article, thanks for the link!
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity
Location: Lund, Sweden. Fav colour: White. Fav remix: PPOT Comic

Post by Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson »

Read and understood. Superb article! Oh, great times ahead, the future's so bright I gotta wear shades... 8)
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Nice article though some parts sound a bit strained to link SF like Neuromancer tech to present tech.
Otherwise an interesting read. :)
All is lost.
analoq
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by analoq »

I never read Neuromancer or got into the cyberpunk thing but after reading that article it piques my curiosity -- even if its influence may be overstated. Perhaps I'll add it to my reading list.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Basically, autohrs like Dick, Orwell, Huxley or Gibson are correct with their assessments about the character of our "future" society.

Technical development might differ, but the main difference is, that dystopia is coming far more subtle than most might have anticipated. It's there, but most of the time we don't notice it. It's rather a gut feeling of being constantly monitored and scrutinised by authorities and corporations, and not really being as free as it might seem. We're rather "Brave New World" than "1984" (though Britain's CCTV is quite orwellish).

Gibson's extrapolation of the impact of information technology was extraordinary though. And I strongly believe that his works actually inspired and propelled its further development.