Free 70 Mbyte Kontakt Multisample of 70 Year Old Polysynth!!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
d.a.wilson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Free 70 Mbyte Kontakt Multisample of 70 Year Old Polysynth!!

Post by d.a.wilson »

Novachord 346 can be seen in all her glory here - this is the UK's only 70 year old 1/4 ton, 163 tube Novachord - the world's first Polyphonic Synthesizer costing $1800 in 1939 - ie. nearly $100,000 in todays money! I have returned this 72 note polyphonic beast tube synth to working order and then went on to produce the world's first sample pack of this amazing instrument:

http://www.novachord.co.uk/photos.htm

The good news for you all is that, although the main sample set has already been released and is on sale, I spent over 10 hours making yet another multisample for free release in Kontakt format. Having captured another 40 minutes of raw digital audio from the beast the final results have blown my socks off - this is 100% 70 year old restored Novachord, no extra filtering or LFOs - just 70 Mbytes of samples into chorus and reverb!! You can hear the Novachord's gorgeous 6 channel electomechanical vibrato in full swing (literally!) in a quick demo I recorded using a midi file I got off the net:

http://www.last.fm/music/D.A.Wilson/_/B ... ?autostart

These have got to be some of the most beautiful vintage synth strings I've ever heard!

This multi-sample is available as a --FREE-- taster for Kontakt:

http://www.hollowsun.com/shop/Freepacks/index.htm

It doesn't have to be classical music - they are currently being used in an up and coming dance track currently in production.

The sample archive is already being used in professional applications - it's all over the orchestral score for the multi-million dollar XBox 360 game "Alan Wake" due to be released later this year.
Resident vintage synth restorer, collector and user geek... :) ....
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Free 70 Mbyte Kontakt Multisample of 70 Year Old Polysynth!!

Post by Commie_User »

Just the ticket! Thanks for that.

And it's not lost on me that I can fire these samples recorded of an early synth from an early computer with MIDI facilities - my 64.

Isn't it great when the true golden oldies can still shine and genuinely impress?!

...Er, Kontakt format you say. Before I download, can I ask if there's a way of converting to WAV (if needed) as I don't have any Kontakt software.
d.a.wilson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Free 70 Mbyte Kontakt Multisample of 70 Year Old Polysynth!!

Post by d.a.wilson »

Commie_User wrote:Just the ticket! Thanks for that.

And it's not lost on me that I can fire these samples recorded of an early synth from an early computer with MIDI facilities - my 64.

Isn't it great when the true golden oldies can still shine and genuinely impress?!

...Er, Kontakt format you say. Before I download, can I ask if there's a way of converting to WAV (if needed) as I don't have any Kontakt software.
You really need to download the free Kontakt Player from Native Instruments - it will blow your socks off. Listening to the wav files on their own just doesn't come close to hearing the overall result in Kontakt.... seriously try it... it's free.

Dan.
Resident vintage synth restorer, collector and user geek... :) ....