Has the c64 remixing scene declined in popularity.

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".

Has the remixing scene declined in popularity.

Of course not, its still popular.
25%
I think it is declining in popularity.
44%
I don't know.
31%

Total votes: 16

Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Has the c64 remixing scene declined in popularity.

Post by Doddsy »

Hi all,

I've been watching recently the amount of downloads remixers are getting and I believe its nowhere near as much as what it used to be. For example, when I first joined the scene in 2005 most remixers were averaging around 3000-5000+ downloads now they are lucky if they level off at 2500. Why do you think that is? The remixes currently being released are better than ever. Has interest in the 80's now started to finally wane as people look towards the 90's for nostalgia? Is remixing computer game soundtracks just not appealing to people anymore as the baby boomers of the 90's are looking elsewhere for something else more cool? Or perhaps, there are now too many tracks being remixed and there is too much to listen too so people only select their top remixers.

Any thoughts?
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Has the c64 remixing scene declined in popularity.

Post by Chris Abbott »

In the beginning, people were starved, nostalgic and hungry. Now they're sitting back in their chairs, burping! So the urgency isn't there, and the amount of stuff available is totally huge. The motivation of remixers at the beginning of the cycle was totally different to the remixers now.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

I voted I don't know, and I really don't. Just taking one broad measurement of the scene (the number of downloads) doesn't paint the whole picture.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Also, one word: babies. Kind of takes the focus on the past and puts it on the future.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

My guess is that the biggest part of everything is we are all haveing family life to take care of :D

Also I think it is somewhat declineing, as for me I have a certain amount of c64 tunes I love and has memories from and has remixed and that's it.
Sure I have a few left to remix and I can't be arsed to do them .... yet, mostly cause of family stuff and so on :P

And before it was just for fun to remix a tune but now it feels alittle competative and it breaks the whole fun of it...

Sure I like to compete but it has in the first place to be about the fun of it :D
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Those numbers may not be entirely accurate.

I used to religiously download from R.K.O as soon as I received notification that something new was released, than
I got busy with Work & Life and I started falling behind...waaaaaaaaay Behind.

So now I just wait till the Quarter releases of the Torrent on RKO.

So I've switched from À la carte to Combo/Bulk download method.

Listening to these remixes is another story, sometimes the environment I'm in, does not
lend itself to allowing me to listen to remixes as much as I would like to.

One last thing to note, it might be the case that the Remix Bar for Quality has been set so high
some may be reluctant at even attempting to submit something.

I haven't lost my passion since I joined in 2002, and I was actually lurking around here before that.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Doddsy »

I guess thats probably the answer; there are more quality remixes being produced so not everyone has time to listen to them all.
trace wrote: And before it was just for fun to remix a tune but now it feels alittle competative and it breaks the whole fun of it...

Sure I like to compete but it has in the first place to be about the fun of it :D
I wouldn't worry about that. Remixing should still be fun and if you have an idea for a remix then I think it should be done without pressure from what people may think. It might not be red smilie face successful but aleast you can say that you did it and creating for yourself is the most important thing! The listeners are getting your music for free anyway. I think some forget that when they vote. :wink:
Marcel Donné
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Marcel Donné »

Chris Abbott wrote:Also, one word: babies. Kind of takes the focus on the past and puts it on the future.
Oh yes. babies! The best distraction ever invented. I mean, who do you know would laugh their legs off when mentioning the word "Muppet" ? :D

Let's just say that my priorities are somewhere else entirely these days. And the moments I get to sit behind a keyboard every now and again is being considered a good chance to test the theory of 'muscle memory' in my hands whenever I tickle the ivories :wink: