Bit off topic but....SlamTilt pinball - Windows 7

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Bit off topic but....SlamTilt pinball - Windows 7

Post by tomsk »

Hi
Sorry for the off topic-ness. I've always loved SLamtilt by 21st Century since the AMiga days. I have the PC version which flatly refused to run on XP (Windows 98 is the last known working system). I've now upgraded to Windows 7 and thought I'd give it a spin after hearing some old games actually started working in Windows 7 (Home Edition). Well, strange as it sounds, it does run...sort of. Trouble is, the old Direct X version won't install (for obvious reasons). The game runs up, a little sluggish, but music works fine and the movement and scrolling is ok. However, the colour scheme is completely crashed. I can see the table gfx, but all colours are mismapped. I have all of the old direct x content from the game, and wondered if it would run by adding a dll file from the old set into my current setup. I've noticed a few games refused to run (Toca 3), but a fix appears to be adding a dll file to the system folder and hey presto.

P.S. I know I could run the amiga version, but my chick really enjoys this too, and likes to spin with it whilst I'm not at home, so getting the PC version running is my best option. I've never been this close to running it and it's quite frustrating to "almost" get there....just hearing those classic music mods make my spine tingle.....ALso, a split partition is above my knowledge and I don't have WIndows 98 anymore.

ANyone got a suggestion to get this classic back running again ?
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Bit off topic but....SlamTilt pinball - Windows 7

Post by Steve B »

you could run windows 98 (or 95 or 3.11 for that matter) under a Virtual PC (VPC) and use any none winxp or above program.
you do need compatible hardware though.
google vpc's to get the lowdown.

use the link below to get it:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

i have several os's running under a vpc on my machine (including DOS6 and win 3.11)
I C 64 People

Computers can never replace human stupidity
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

In Windows 7 you should be able to right click the games Icon or executable and select it to run in Windows XP Compatibility Mode. Not sure if its available in the Home Edition.
Attachments
01.png
01.png (33.04 KiB) Viewed 7229 times
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Trying the color / resolution etc settings in that compatibility dialogue might be a good idea as well...
vurtX
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by vurtX »

In XP the way to get this working was to disable DirectDraw acceleration, so it may work in Windows 7 too .. you do that by going start> run type dxdiag then go to display tab and disable it there.

IF all fails another awesome FREE pinball game with all the amiga Digital Illusions tables on it and an incredible 600+ tables for free can be found here >> www.futurepinball.com
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Wow ! You guys are the best....let me tell you! Slamtilt now working really well - all colours perfect after I followed the hunch by Analog and Lman. Compatability mode set to WIndows 98/ME and all of the options below that ticked. Thanks to all that took the time to help, but now I have another problem.......

How do I get my computer back off my girlfriend !!!!!!!

Thanks again all you guys :worship:
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Okay....my new specs

24" HP 1920x1200 monitor
Intel I7 930 Processor 4 x 2.8GHz
Gigabyte X58A-UDR3 Motherboard
6GB Tri Channel DDR3 1800 Ram
Powercolor HD5870 Graphics with 1GB VRam, Factory Overclocked.
1TB Samsung Spinpoint Hard disk drive
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Operating System
Samsung DVD+/-RW 22x
Antec Three Hundred Case
Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU

What have we both spent the entire night playing..........D'oh ! Although it will only run at 640x480
and not 800 x 600 !!! And when multiball comes about, it can get quite sluggish....nice to see those quad cores doing their best with such hi-tech software :)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

tomsk wrote: Thanks again all you guys :worship:
You are welcome, I figure whats the use of being a Geek and not sharing the Knowledge. :duh:

BTW: I do the same thing as you, I buy new hardware so I can play old software designed for older hardware on it. :)
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Well, I am quite late to this thread but I just want to add the fact that DirectX or any other accelerated graphic modes might not work under a virtual machine - just said so if you wonder why games work slow but good under software mode but crash or blank out under DirectX or GL-modes. Dunno if the standard VM in Windows 7 to emulate XP found a way to work around that problem.
All is lost.