The shape of the scene 10 years on

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
SarahKreuz31
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: The shape of the scene 10 years on

Post by SarahKreuz31 »

glad to hear that,Chris. :nod: Had my thoughts when I first joined this Forum, you bet on it. ("eeww, she`s straight coming from Radio (name removed)" - or something like that :help: ) But, nope. Nothing like that. Guys like c64glen even supported me from the very beginning - I got permissions from some of the Musicians to use their work in my Videos - so, finally; nobody`s judging me that I`m a Fan of this Radiostation. Which is a great thing.
Well, I don`t know how many of the guys over there are aware of the "Battle" you and Manuel fought in the past (we simply don`t talk about it), but of course none of them (well, at least 99% ;)) were involved in this. ;)
As you said: I`m here - I`m there - and I`m fine with it.

Okay, this was totally off-topic. X)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

So Sarah got any thoughts on things we can try to liven this place up?

I want to thank for those who still post W.I.P's, I do download all of them and listen to them while I commute to work, so those continued work is appreciated.

I try and post when I have something to say, but thats not always the case, and I do want to contribute more than simply posting a few words here and there. I've got some ideas and plans, but those take time and taking longer then I want them too.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
analoq
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by analoq »

Well for me, this forum has one thing going for it over many others in the scene: it's in English :nod:
Mein deutsch ist schlecht... :sadnod:
SarahKreuz31
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by SarahKreuz31 »

Analog-X64 wrote:
I want to thank for those who still post W.I.P's, I do download all of them and listen to them while I commute to work, so those continued work is appreciated. I try and post when I have something to say, but thats not always the case,
Yeah, count me in. I`m not always in the mood (or got the Time) to give a good Feedback, but I`m listening to all of the W.I.P`s too. I`m still waiting for the release of the "Castle Master" Remix. (or a new "pre-listening mp3" in the wip) I hope this project isn`t dead yet. Is it ? :confusion:
Analog-X64 wrote:
So Sarah got any thoughts on things we can try to liven this place up?
ehhh, no. No Masterplan exists. :shock: It`s up to each and everybody to liven this place a little bit up, I guess.

@analoq Mein deutsch ist auch schlecht :rofl:
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Eventually, the enthusiasm fueling the contribution to the scene runs dry after a while, while on the other hand there's still so much other things to explore in life. So maybe after a while you return with new enthusiasm. I know that I personally don't contribute nearly as much as I did 5 years ago, although I'm still reading nearly all the posts and we're "keeping the engine oiled" on the technical side.

I agree that most of the action now happens on the radios and their IRC channels, so a lot of the communication that used to happen here is now happening there, similar but not as devastating, as the Remix64.com launch kind of moved all the action away from the old c64rmx yahoogroup.

The Remix64 idea was always to integrate, to be a communication centre, and not to compete:

- it works in full symbiosis with RKO, AmigaRemix and c64Audio, and in close cooperation with SLAY, SceneSat etc.

- We merged the c64Audio.com and Remix64 forums back in the days to form the "Commodore Remix" Forum for all scene sites

- At a time we had our own IRC channel, but we closed that down because we didn't want to compete with SLAYRadio IRC.

- We were honestly trying to complement the yahoogroup, not to replace it. Still, that's what happened

And here's the lesson to be learned: the scene evolves. The whole of the scene simply is not big enough to allow for competition. This forum is just part of the puzzle piece, and now the Radio shows have most of the action. That's not a bad thing, and I still think this forum has its place. Personally, I avoid chat rooms if I can, I find them far too hectic.

While Remix64 started out to be an online mag with a forum attached, it is now mostly a feedback engine, and that too is where a lot of the action happens: voting, posting shouts and reviews. The statistics show that the amount of shouts submitted roughly goes commensurate to the amount of remixes released per month. So after the summer breaks in September 2010 we had 585 shout submissions, while in September 2009 it was 525, and in September 2008 it was 490. So at least that part of Remix64 is far from being dead.

If you want to fill this forum with life, you might want to try recruiting new arrangers. Write them feedback emails etc... and of course Remix64 is always looking for enthusiastic people with new ideas, moderately good command of english, and the persistence to fill it with new content for longer than a month. :) So if you meet the requirements, contact Ziphoid, Chris or me. <sarcasm>Another requirement: don't be too enthusiastic or people will get suspicious of your motives, as that happened a lot to Chris and Ziphoid.</sarcasm>

As for the musicians lounge thread: the same evolvement happens here. Musician talk mostly moved to the WIP threads, so it might be a good idea to merge those two.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Ziphoid & me have merged several forum categories now. We think the new structure is more comprehensible and appropriate.
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

We've also removed the possibility for regular users to make a thread sticky. Therefor, if you want a thread to be placed high in the list, you'll have to keep it active. :)
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Plus I gave everyone extra special cooties.

You're welcome.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Thanks Chris.

Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

All you "Remix64 Engine Crew"... I know that you use a lot of time on this, and I hope that I do not make it sound like you are responsible for the lack of activity in here... I hope not, cause that's not the case. In the end it's up to the members of the forums to get more active, but if people have too much "real life" or have "lived it all out" or just plain "bored with it all", then there really is nothing much that can be done are there?

You are doing a marvelous piece of work on the scene... thank you for that... I just wish the activity in the forums would spring back to life someday... maybe everyone's hibernating...who knows.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

I dunno, as someone said there are new musicians and members all the time. The tricky part is to get them involved here. Maybe a classic forum is not web 2.0 enough to be attractive anymore? :)
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

LMan wrote:I dunno, as someone said there are new musicians and members all the time. The tricky part is to get them involved here. Maybe a classic forum is not web 2.0 enough to be attractive anymore? :)

You need Twitbook integration or some such... ;)

LMan wrote:Ziphoid & me have merged several forum categories now. We think the new structure is more comprehensible and appropriate.
No offence, but I don't know if moving the furniture around will achieve much...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Hmmm I could have sworn I replied to this thread this morning. I'll have to try and remember what I wrote and re-type.

I wanted to say, thanks to LMan for his post, it is reassuring that the machine is still being oiled.

The bit of Remix64 History was neat as well, I didnt know about it.

I'd like to contribute in anyway I can, I have some audio and visual things in mind, time is my enemy at the moment for doing this stuff.

I wanted to get stuff ready to release for BreakPoint unfortunately that event is now gone so I'll have to look at something else.

LMan, Ziphoid, and all the rest of the gang seem to have things under-control, but if you ever need help with anything, let me know.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

merman wrote:
LMan wrote:I dunno, as someone said there are new musicians and members all the time. The tricky part is to get them involved here. Maybe a classic forum is not web 2.0 enough to be attractive anymore? :)
You need Twitbook integration or some such... ;)
Yeah that might be a good idea actually.
merman wrote:
LMan wrote:Ziphoid & me have merged several forum categories now. We think the new structure is more comprehensible and appropriate.
No offence, but I don't know if moving the furniture around will achieve much...
Hehe none taken. I think it depends on what you want to achieve. I didn't want to imply that the forum merger would attract more visitors. But we don't need tons of subforums if traffic doesn't require it - that's what I meant with "more comprehensible and appropriate". (Plus I can see all forums without scrolling on my notebook) :)

@Analog-X64: Thanks for the kind words, although I need to return the thanks to the many regular visitors, like you, who currently contribute a lot more than I do. :)