World Games caber toss moment

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

World Games caber toss moment

Post by Waz »

I was having a nice walk around Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness earlier this week as part of my break in the Highlands, and came across this bagpipe player.

Later on I could hear him from the far end of the castle and headed over, as I heard him play the theme from the caber toss music on World Games. It was nice to hear it played on proper bagpipes but also reminded me how good the C64 version was! :)

Has anyone else had any "I know this tune from this game" experience when being out and about?
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Re: World Games caber toss moment

Post by Mordi »

First bagpipe C64-remix perhaps?

Once when I was at work and the radio was on I heard a song that was pretty much a direct translation of International Karate. It was a woman singing and playing guitar or piano. Can't quite remember. I guess it was a "Merry Christmas Mister Lawrence" cover, with lyrics.
Check out my website.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

There is an advert for a car that has been playing on the radio recently, and I could swear the song is a derivative of some C64 tune.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

There were many, many of those moments with pop and classical music which I had heard first as SID. There was of course the Zombie Nation (although it was a ripp-off), a techno version of "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence" I heard in the 90s, the Cybernoid chords in Lionel Richie's "Running with the Night" and so on;

One of the earliest of those moments was when I heard Vince Di Cola's "Escape", which was made into the Title music of Turrican 1, for the first time in the outro of a TV show around 1990.
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

LMan wrote: One of the earliest of those moments was when I heard Vince Di Cola's "Escape", which was made into the Title music of Turrican 1, for the first time in the outro of a TV show around 1990.
Taken from the Transformers movie apparently according to you tube.. blimey! :shock:

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Yup its the music that plays as optimus dies :( ... whyyyyyy!!! WHY!!!!!!!!!! .. but anyway.

Hearing some dancey version of the theme tune to nemesis/gradius whilst out in london amused me and ofc zombie nation and there was another one too that was taken from lazy jones by some other guy but i guess he paid cos no one got pissed off at him lol.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Infamous wrote:Yup its the music that plays as optimus dies :( ... whyyyyyy!!! WHY!!!!!!!!!! .. but anyway.
Well because the kids were supposed to buy the new transformers toys of course; Optimus was outdated by that time. :duh: Tsss, corporations. :nonono:

Btw, the Death of Optimus Prime scene music by DiCola was named, well "Death of Optimus Prime", and was in the End-titles of Turrican.
NecroPolo
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by NecroPolo »

- Zoids/Hubbard. Many years later I found the original Synergy tune, was stunned, realised that it was the original, became disappointed of it and also 10x more amazed of Hubbard's awesome rendition.

- S-Express/JT. I had no love for that music style back in time so I totally missed the original. Loved JT's rendition, anyway. SID is a great style-indepentiser :)

- Chameleon (probably by Tim Kleinert or some SID that is based on his SID cover). Back in time it was included in some intro I can't find anymore on old disks and I wasn't too educated about Herbie Hancock so again I was stunned when I heart Herbie's brilliant Chameleon track years later. Scanned Chamelon.SIDs on HVSC but I could not find that exact .sid...
dan gillgrass

Post by dan gillgrass »

LMan wrote:
Infamous wrote:Yup its the music that plays as optimus dies :( ... whyyyyyy!!! WHY!!!!!!!!!! .. but anyway.
Well because the kids were supposed to buy the new transformers toys of course; Optimus was outdated by that time. :duh: Tsss, corporations. :nonono:

Btw, the Death of Optimus Prime scene music by DiCola was named, well "Death of Optimus Prime", and was in the End-titles of Turrican.
did I say Blimey?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YATamLjL0U

Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

NecroPolo wrote: - Chameleon (probably by Tim Kleinert or some SID that is based on his SID cover).
You mean this one in HVSC by any chance?

/MUSICIANS/K/Kleinert_Tim/Kleinert_01.sid

although I must admit I do prefer PRI's kick backside version:

/MUSICIANS/P/PRI/Chameleon.sid
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
dan gillgrass

Post by dan gillgrass »

BEST photo of Waz ever!!!

Thunderer
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Thunderer »

This song, especially the Chorus, reminds me of human race sub-tune 4.
(First chorus starts at 1:05)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M33FIhfJ-aY