Playing SIDs in android?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
pfk
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Playing SIDs in android?

Post by pfk »

Hey!

Just bought myself an Android phone, and need some tips on how to play original SIDs on it. Are there any sidplayers available, or should i try using a C64 emulator? Any suggestions?

And what real C64 SID player would you recommend for emulators? Has anyone made a dedicated HVSC player?

On a side note I'm very pleased wih my phone so far. It's a Huawai U8230, and it works perfectly! It's got all the features of a proper smart phone, but only cost 1800 NOK (~approx 200 EUR).

- pfk
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Playing SIDs in android?

Post by FFRenzy »

there's a SID player for Android. Is has a few quircks, like only using one big folder for the files, but it works like a charm on my Samsung Galaxy Spica with Android 1.5. Here's the link and QRCode

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_appl ... _gowo.html
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride'
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

Also, have a look at a new player that's in development right now:

http://swimmer.se/droidsound/files/

It plays SID but also a bunch of other module formats. I'll include the readme here:
==== Droidsound Beta 4 ====
= QUICKSTART =
Put your music in a directory called "MODS" on your sdcard.
Zip-files and directories will be scanned and indexed.

= NOTES =
You can search for songs by title.
Long press Back/Forward to skip subsongs and jump directly to next file.
Long press Back to go to top directory
Name songs "<author> - <title>.ext" and it that metadata will be used
if none is found in the file.

= FORMATS =
All formats handled by libsidplay2, modlug and GME, the most popular;
SID, MOD, XM, IT, S3M, NFS, GBS, SPC, AY

-- Sasq
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

I use Droidsound vPRE3 and I like it :D
Doesn't manage subtunes in sids though :(
Maybe the new versions? :D
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

wow totaly different than the one i had, works great :)
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

Ziphoid wrote:Also, have a look at a new player that's in development right now:

It plays SID but also a bunch of other module formats. I'll include the readme here:
Damn, Doesn't work on my phone.... for a higher version of android than 1.5, i guess ?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride'
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

FFRenzy wrote:
Ziphoid wrote:Also, have a look at a new player that's in development right now:

Damn, Doesn't work on my phone.... for a higher version of android than 1.5, i guess ?
I believe sasq mentioned it needs at least 1.6. Isn't your phone upgradeable? I'll ask about the requirements, at least. :)
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

Well, in Germany and France people got an upgrade to 2.1, and they SAID that in .NL it would come in April/May, but nothing yet.

i'll root it soon and put a custom ROM on it.
pfk
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by pfk »

Wow, DroidSound works great! Just installed it, and Ahman Bedad's Sweet Alien played perfectly :-) Trying GRG in Cyberspace right now, but that seems to require more processing power than my cheap phone can provide. Playback is okay, but a bit choppy.

This is bound to become my favourite Android app :-) Thanks!

- pfk
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

According to sasq, v1.6 is needed. So, hopefully that update will come to your phone soon, FFRenzy.

FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

Ziphoid wrote:According to sasq, v1.6 is needed. So, hopefully that update will come to your phone soon, FFRenzy.
Samsung finally released the update for my phone to 2.1 last weekend, and Droidsound has been installed :D
Bog
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Bog »

You beehoooties! I'd been using SIDPlayer and now I shall be investimugating this little beauty.

Have a whole internet. Just the one, mind.
Pixel tamer
Mark "Bog" Hennessy-Barrett. Chris says you should ask me about the Wizball video ;)
Or go look at http:/www.imaginetix.co.uk
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

i know i am waking up an old and dead thread, but i installed Droidsound on my Acer Iconia Tablet ( Android 3.0 Honeycomb ) and it work perfectly. And just 7% CPU load while playing SIDs :)

Having the whole HVSC at your fingertips :worship:
droidmjt

Post by droidmjt »

Hello,

check out Droidsound-E from Google Play. It has various fixes and stuff :)
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

And if you ever get tired of listening to SIDs (as if :)) you can also keep up with the remixes on your Android gadget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... impact.rko