New Commodore 64.

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

New Commodore 64.

Post by Analog-X64 »

Well sort of, its a PC inside a C64 Case.

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: New Commodore 64.

Post by Chris Abbott »

Can I just say at this point that I found out recently the guy behind this particular reincarnation is a total C64 fan that I've known for some years: so before anyone comments that this is another soulless ripoff: real effort has been put into this one.

Frankly I'm tempted, since I actually need another self-contained PC to use as a file server for all my USB drives.

It probably should come bundled with the Atari joystick -> USB controller though (I've got one of those).

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
vurtX
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by vurtX »

lol excellent thats really cool, it looks ace and well designed too. This deserves to succeed :)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

No negative comments here. This one makes more sense then the other thing that was a PC with Commodore Logo on it.

I'd buy one of these for the sheer geek factor :)
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
SarahKreuz31
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by SarahKreuz31 »

Ahhhh,comon guys. You just giving them what they want; your cash. Makes no sense at all - This isn`t Commodore 64 as we knew it, this isn`t the company Commodore at all. Fact for me. Just some guys who bought the license. Amiga Inc has brought nothing important for the Amiga Community but they`re awesome if it comes to sell licenses.

The "ALL NEW" Commodore Phoenix before -> http://www.cybernetman.com/en/products/ ... c-gx31.cfm and after they got their "Commodore" License -> http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Phoenix.aspx A reminiscence to the C64, a "Tribute"...yeah,sure. *facepalm* Put a "Commodre" Logo on it and here we go for the big retro-Community-cash. No support in any way from me (and 95 % of the left Amiga-Scene are "facepalming" too `bout this ripoff)

That`s my opinion.
Last edited by SarahKreuz31 on 21/12/2010 - 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

See my comments on the last thread. (Clue: It's a soulless cash in)
analoq
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by analoq »

Kinda cool, but I think I'll just stick with the C64 I already have.

cheers.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> big retro-Community-cash

:hysterical:

Those concepts don't go well together.

Anyway, releasing a "new Commodore 64" that wasn't compatible with something else would simply be impossible or impractical. From a practical point of view this is the only thing they could have released.

People might say "well, let it rest in its grave", but how is the world not better for it existing, as a choice?

As for "soulless cash-in": what would a "soulful revival" look like? The guy who's been in contact with me over this has been into the C64 for ever, and the attention to detail here with the casing is pretty fine: so I think there's some soul there. This hasn't been true for any other product released until now by "The New Commodore", but going to that effort of restyling the case and having a C64-type layer around Windows? That validates it for me.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

I'm gonna keep it short on this one: I agree with Sarah.
Experto credite!
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Can't see what's wrong with it, how is it soul-less? Just because it isn't for free? Anyone thinking this a cash-in seriously overestimates the purchasing power of the target group.

I mean how cool is that, beloved bread bin with PC inside and an instant-boot c64 mode. I'd get one for sure - if I had the purchasing power.

As for the beloved old Commodore brand: Jack Tramiel *was* a ceegar-chomping, yacht-buying, ruthless, money-hungry, power-hungry SOAB. If it wasn't for the ingenious ideas of Robert Russel + Bob Yannes for the C64, and of the people who built the Amiga (before they got bought by Commodore), both machines would be completely soul-less. The machine's souls had nothing to do with the Commodore brand.
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

It's just a PC. Not even a particulary good PC as far as I can see. The design is crap. Yes, it's based on a C-64 but the way they integrated new ports etc sucks. Really, that big monster "plate" on the back there? Five function keys? And they're not even function keys anymore. Sheesh. The least they could do was to seek expert helt on the design.

Ok, enough ranting, I just think it's a lousy idea and I don't see what this thing will give me that a MacBook Air or similar will do just as fine. The (now) primitive inside of a C-64 was what made it cool, not the breadbinish outside of it.
Experto credite!
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

Perhaps 'soulless cash in' is a little harsh, but this is something we all feel strongly about so hopefully you'll excuse the hyperbole (and I still love you guys even if I disagree with you)

I suppose the big problem is people who have purchased the Commodore brand and licenses are trying to make money from the Commodore and C64 brand with devices that really aren't the things we love. Sarah has already stated this better than I can.

It's great that they've got the Games on Wii and iPhone and things like the C64 DTV, but this thing, as other people haven't pointed out is just a lower power PC in a C64 case.

If it was a Mod, I would appalled (and have done in the past) or just a fan project (without the Commodore branding and license) I probably be a lot less cynical.

As for the Jack Tramiel argument, the C64 and Amiga were great because they were brilliant pieces of technology from brilliant engineers, Tramiel's dodgy business practices may have made Commodore more successful (and unfairly crushed competitors), but that's not why we loved them.
Last edited by C64GLeN on 07/01/2011 - 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

To my mind, it's neither one thing or the other. It's not a great PC, nor is it a fitting tribute to the C64. Chris's comments did suggest there was a bit more "feeling" behind the idea than I expected, but I'm not going to rush out and buy one because of the name or the shape.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live