Music Composer needed.

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
silverbird

Music Composer needed.

Post by silverbird »

A big hello to all and thank you for reading this post. I was directed here from "The last ninja board" forum they told me that someone may be able to help me. Basically I'm a small game designer with my second game soon to be on the net and toying with the idea of creating a remake of "The last ninja" (top down) and seriously looking for someone who knows the midi music of the above to compose the score for me. I would like to give something back for all the hours that I played those 80's games (boy I feel old lol) so here I am. The only thing that I can offer is giving you FULL credit for the music and any link that he or she may have. I would ask thou that,
1. It is your own composition.
2. It should be in midi format (if possible).
3. To have fun.
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Music Composer needed.

Post by Amok »

Why in midi?
silverbird

Post by silverbird »

Thanks for the reply why midi well mainly for the size of the game, When you have say ten Mp3 files at 1.5 megs compared to say 25Kb that's a savings of over 14.5 megs a big drop in the size of the game. Also I believe that the way the game reads the Mp3 file is outside the game engine taking more time to load I maybe wrong as I can only go by what the software developer has told me. I am always open to suggestions and any would be greatly appreciated no matter what kind of file or help it is. Thank you once again for your reply.
Silverbird.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Shouldnt worry too much about size issues in this day and age, you can download a 200mb file in about 10 seconds over here in england now and there are plenty of hosting sites that give away free bandwidth and space for you to upload your game and even if you find yourself as popular as the angry birds dudes you wont find yourself being told off for eating it up.

Also might be a good thing for you for future games to work out the music playing issues, it'll help in the long run.

What kinda game is it anyway?
silverbird

Post by silverbird »

Hi I dare say (depending on your age lol) if you have played the good old commodre 64 games then you should remember "The Last Ninja" by system 3. Well my game will be based similar to it but a top down instead. I have just about finished the intro now starts the storyline. This time the hero after finding his family killed by the evil shogun Kirshin seeks his revenge blah blah blah. As for the music I like to write the storyline then build the game then add the music last to fit. Getting off the track a bit I don't know about everyone else but some of my fondest memories are some of the 80's midi game music and to think they where only a few KB.
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

Infamous wrote:Shouldnt worry too much about size issues in this day and age, you can download a 200mb file in about 10 seconds over here in england now
200mb would take me about 30 minutes with my shitty speeds and I live in Essex, although I do live outside any major town. It all depends on where you live.
silverbird

Post by silverbird »

Hi I use to live in Essex before moving to Oz and boy are we behind the times here. So bad is it that I don't even have broadband the best I can do is to have wireless broadband and to download 200Mb would take me about one to two hours on a good day. I will go as far to say that even right near the end something may happen to lose the download. My speed is 3.6Mbps which can also drop in speed depending on the weather.
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

You know what would be good?

If someone invited some sort of music 'tracker' where you could composing music with reasonable sized 'samples' of instruments. Then the music would sounds good, but not be too large.

Maybe in the distant future. We are stuck with Midi for now.

EDIT:

Obviously I'm kidding. Using tracker based music if you are concerned about files size. Using midi would make your game sound like it was made in the bad old fays of PC music, not something people would want.
silverbird

Post by silverbird »

Point taken but I have been told that a good game does not need good music and graphics and that's coming from a software developer. I now have a composer who has composed the score for both my games the first using Mp3 but the second I asked him to use midi the difference being 26Mb to 16Mb for the second.
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

I've made some games in the past, and if space or memory was an issue then I would always go for low-quality .ogg-files. You could also use modules, as C64Glen said.
Check out my website.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

There is this cool little dll that is widely used to include audio formats in your project.

http://www.un4seen.com/bass.html
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
silverbird

Post by silverbird »

Thanks Analog-x64 I'll go and check that link out.
rikus

Post by rikus »

i made this as tribute:
http://www.box.net/shared/1eaq50ivaa
i can do something a whole lot better, but we can talk in email
r_e_l_g@yahoo.com
silverbird

Post by silverbird »

Hi thanks for the reply will email you about it.
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

My favorite audio-middleware is FMOD: http://www.fmod.org/ - Not sure the license is fitting in this case, though.
It supports these file-types, anyway: http://www.fmod.org/wiki/index.php5?tit ... at_support
Check out my website.