New Sid...thing...

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

New Sid...thing...

Post by Tonka »

Has anyone seen this thing before? It's like a C64 ipod. :worship:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw-TQaskkQ8

Where I dun found it:

http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/vi ... =56&t=2197
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Re: New Sid...thing...

Post by Commie_User »

Pretty nice prototype. I would imagine it would lack the C64 system buzz and output a clear signal to headphones.

If there was simple MIDI compatibility then it would also be a rival to the likes of HardSID, though HardSID would still boast the whistles and bells.

Here's a C64 Ipod bag to go with it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMMODORE-64- ... 255745c3ee
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Commie_User wrote: If there was simple MIDI compatibility then it would also be a rival to the likes of HardSID, though HardSID would still boast the whistles and bells.
Hmm - don't get me started on the Hardsid... :nonono:

But yes - USB MIDI would be nice (and probably an easy update for this guy).
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

What's the matter with the HardSID? It's supposedly one of the giants.

And talking of MIDI, wouldn't it be fantastic if someone invented a MIDI cartridge utility which could re-route the C64's sound data as MIDI? Yes, SID files are in abundance but I can see extra flexibility in switching off the SID and hearing all kinds of sonics rendered through outboard gear.

Much the same principle as the late-80s fad of piping game sounds through MIDI boxes as soundcards were not all that great then.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Its too bad these type of projects arent polished enough so someone like me can simply buy the parts and build it.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

I suppose the idea is that if you're enthusiast enough you'll pick the SID you want and stick that in.

I did hear they had SIDs in a computer but they don't make them any more! :)

HardSID looks very promising in the glossy ads. But it cost an awful lot, seemed a little too involved for my liking and the MSSIAH was cheaper. Apparently even the MSSIAH will now have its own VST front end and even that will probably tie itself up in over-complication.

But each to his own. I certainly agree things could be more accessible to the musician, though it appears the HardSID may have tried to do just that.