Too good to remix.. ?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Too good to remix.. ?

Post by Commie_User »

Let's turn things around. Anyone heard any C64 tunes which sound contemporary enough as they are?

I'll open with Artris: http://noname.c64.org/csdb/search/?sein ... .y=0&Go=Go

The synth work is smooth and suitably 'pro', especially on the opening and score music. And of course, cracktro music is often superior to the games.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Re: Too good to remix.. ?

Post by LMan »

Needledrop by AMJ
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

LMan wrote:Needledrop by AMJ
Found it on soundcloud:

Impressively moody tune, for a sid! I think it would be great if it were remixed well.
Check out my website.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Here's another fantastic housy tune by AMJ, and another version of Needledrop (both are EQed versions of SOASC recordings - direct SID output lacks bass)

AMJ - Fading In And Out It's Like
AMJ - Needledrop
TNT
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by TNT »

Absolutely perfect SID:

Can't get done better. For sure.

Nearly perfect SID:

Maybe a REAL good remixer with a lot of experience in creating fucking great electronic style music could up the ante, although anyhow it's very hard. I would love to discover an abolutely perfect remix of that tune.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

By the end, Commodore programmers really got the work of the SID. I think they both worked with its limitations as well as using the computer to program the more sophisticated styles of modern studio work.

And I've often wondered why remixers need to avoid using the Commodore. Superior programming can do real wonders, or just a play with someone else's hard processor work in session. Imagine some dud C64 soundtrack re-worked using the best the SID can offer plus your best new synth.

I'm not saying the MSSIAH demo video is the cream of any crop, but for a rough show of its features there's a very commercial sound produced for little effort. About the same as using a SID VSTi.

(The only thing the MSSIAH lacks is MIDI out. And I've never found a program to convert a sequencer file to MIDI, so anything composed on the cartridge stays locked in.)
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Another fantastic artist who has the ability to create distinct sounds on the SID chip is Søren "Jeff" Lund. He creates instruments and percussions that actually do not sound like SID at all. Example:

Jeff - Dunes K Remix
Be sure to listen to the whole thing, else you'll be missing out on a lot of cool Future Sound Of London / Aphex Twin'ish sounds. :)
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Great stuff. And so so many people have teased fantastic sounds from the Commodore 64.

But I do beg to differ that it does sound like the SID. I've heard so many fantastic compositions and FX that I think I'd know one almost anywhere!
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

LMan wrote:Another fantastic artist who has the ability to create distinct sounds on the SID chip is Søren "Jeff" Lund. He creates instruments and percussions that actually do not sound like SID at all. Example:

Jeff - Dunes K Remix

mp3]http://www.remix64.com/services/files/m ... 0Remix.mp3[/mp3]

Be sure to listen to the whole thing, else you'll be missing out on a lot of cool Future Sound Of London / Aphex Twin'ish sounds. :)
This could not have possibly been made by a human!! Only special Ancient Alien powers would have the knowledge to make the SID make those sounds. :worship: :cheers:
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Commie_User wrote:But I do beg to differ that it does sound like the SID. I've heard so many fantastic compositions and FX that I think I'd know one almost anywhere!
What I meant to say is, that he creates some sounds where you would not say it's a SID, while others obviously are (like the arpeggio in the example above). The bass, percussion and FX mostly do not sound like SID at all IMHO.