Sound card for Win7 64 bit recommendation (HELP)

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Sound card for Win7 64 bit recommendation (HELP)

Post by tomsk »

Sorry to bug you guys, but this is so hard to find a decent card by reviews alone. Everywhere I look I see "Asus" poor Windows 7 64 bit support, and "awful latency", and the same goes for Soundblaster and their awful driver support.
Basically I have Windows 7 64 bit system with a pci-e slot crying out for a soundcard. I have an opportunity to get one, with a £150 - £200 budget. Needed for all round good sound, low latency and decent driver support going forward. Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card is supposed to be top dog, but everywhere I see problems with competent users moaning of shocking 64bit support. Surely nowadays this would all have been sorted, but the STX is a pretty old card. Recommendations appreciated.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Re: Sound card for Win7 64 bit recommendation (HELP)

Post by Analog-X64 »

Instead of a soundcard have you considered using something like the M-Audio Fast Track pro? Thats what I use and it works great on a Window 7 64-bit system.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by AndyUK »

Have to agree with Analog, I have the basic in-built soundcard in my Acer system for general use and switch to an M-audio for Fruity Loops. Its as simple as leaving the M-Audio plugged in and changing the device in windows 'playback devices' option.. ( sort of have to, it doesn't like to share the ASIO output with windows ), and like Analog I use Windows 7 64Bit.

Here's a quick rundown, hope it helps

Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

I was thinking along those lines. It's common for USB or Firewire devices to flood the shelves nowadays. Now I know what people meant when they would say the days of the soundcard were passing.

I have a Phase 88 Rack which can easily be plugged into either main studio PC at will, using M-Audio devices internally. Mammoth convenience there.

I also compliment them with a USB Sound Blaster Live, which I happily found was a cut-down Audigy. (Wiki said so.) Not bad for a few Pounds second hand, so get what you like for what you like.

tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Thanks guys, its nice to see hardware that is confirmed W7 64 bit and has good driver support. Reading up on this the product is still shipping without 64 bit drivers, but you just get them from the main site. You'd think companies would clue up to the fact their product should come working out of the box though, I mean we are at W8 now. Anyway - thanks again. Looks like the desired option for me.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

I suppose it's possible that due to the segue between 32 and 64-bit equipment these last few years, concentration's been more on getting the most effective 32-bit drivers done first. After all, as I understand it, 64-bit wrappers can run 32-bit drivers but not vice-versa.

And I like the look of that Magix Fast Track - just plug in and away you go, apparently. The kind of thing reminding me partly why folk bought micros over the old PCs. You just plugged them in, tuned the TV and that was it.
NecroPolo
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by NecroPolo »

As far as my experience goes, you can't go wrong with the M-Audio FastTrack Pro interface mentioned above. Bombproof drivers, it is a proven problem solver in any home studio for fluent work in the mind.

I also had excellent results using different Focusrite interfaces too, have a look at the new Scarlett series.