Amiga remix community

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
soren_ladegaard
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Amiga remix community

Post by soren_ladegaard »

Hi

I've just created a new group at yahoo groups.

It's similar to the C64rmx group, but Amiga related instead.

Let's hope to see a growing amiga remix scene.

The group is callen AMIGAremix

Best regards,

Søren Ladegaard - Denmark
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Good idea, but i think you need to create a scene central. I don't think a simple remix group on Yahoo will change it.

You need to develop a site like c64audio.com (without the commercial aspects) and build that site as c64audio.com did. From that spin offs like RKO and Remix64 will eventually come.

it's a good start, but too little to make a difference i feel.
soren_ladegaard
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by soren_ladegaard »

Neil wrote:Good idea, but i think you need to create a scene central. I don't think a simple remix group on Yahoo will change it.

You need to develop a site like c64audio.com (without the commercial aspects) and build that site as c64audio.com did. From that spin offs like RKO and Remix64 will eventually come.

it's a good start, but too little to make a difference i feel.
I agree with you.

But the c64 remix scene evolved around the c64rmx group. RKO didn't excist before people got together and someone voluntered to create a website.

I can't code properly, but I do hope that with this group we can all contribute to the remix scene, and hopefully someone will be able to create a cool website.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Um..

Post by Chris Abbott »

First off, the start of an Amiga Remix scene infrastructure is a long overdue idea. Well done!
But the c64 remix scene evolved around the c64rmx group. RKO didn't exist before people got together and someone voluntered to create a website.
That's not right: the remix scene started on the C64, then on the Amiga (MODs) and ST, flowed through to GM MIDI files and then MP3s on the prototype C64Audio.com. C64Audio.com inspired the Triad MP3 site and Bluenine. Triad was the first place for arrangers such as O2, Instant Remedy, Plough and Dead Guys to show up. RKO was pretty much the direct successor to Triad's site. Incidentally, C64Audio.com has been around (not always with that domain name, but in some form or another) since late 1994, way before any commercial activity.

If there is to be an Amiga remix scene created, then what is needed is an equivalent of RKO or Triad, not a Yahoogroup. And a decent PHPBB forum to match. The current lack of activity of C64RMX is caused as far as I can see by three factors: (1) Jan disliking premature announcements of stuff on RKO, (2) Jan putting a notification bot into place, and (3) The Remix64 forum.

The C64RMX group was started merely as an announcement place for new remixes to reflect a scene that was already growing, and as a subscriber since its inception, I never found it a place where a community was fostered, unlike the Remix64 forum. I personally have met people like Thomas Detert, Glyn R. Brown and loads of others. Nothing like that happened on C64rmx.

So, to summarise :)

A successful Amiga scene will need:
1) A site where Amiga remixes can be uploaded
2) A forum where Amiga remixes can be discussed
3) Loads of musicians sufficiently inspired by Amiga music to spend time doing remixes.

Number 3 will be the most difficult, I think. The C64 remixes happened because there was a history of remixes from the earliest days (dating back to when C64 composers covered other composers, like Matt Gray covering Rob Hubbard), and a concensus as to the classic tunes which needed to be covered. Remixes happened spontaneously because people felt driven to cover the tunes. This is still happening: and it hasn't happened with Amiga tunes. If it hasn't happened now, it may not be because there's no central place: it may be because there just isn't the same motivation for creating Amiga covers as C64 covers.

That's not to say a central place for Amiga covers is long overdue, and welcome! It's just that it may not be enough to provoke the activity necessary for a scene as we might think of it. I hope I'm wrong, of course.

There's another factor, which is that often remixers are inspired by other remixers. I'm sure there are a fair few remixers who started because Instant Remedy or Jogeir Liljedahl, Dead Guys (or even me!) gave them something to aspire to. I know of no comparable figure on the Amiga scene, though obviously I'm not the right person to know, because my knowledge of Amiga music is very slight. If there was some towering remixer, then people would have something to aim for.

Quick question: what's your personal Amiga remix wishlist? Can you put MODs, XMs or MP3s of these original tunes up anywhere?

Oh, and another factor which occured to me: there is no equivalent of HVSC in the Amiga world. Exotica kind of does it, but the power of a one-off collection played through one player has contributed to bringing obscure tunes to the attention of the remixers, too. HVSC has been massively important in providing remixers with the raw material.

OK, this whole post is an unstructured mess, but I hope I introduced some new ideas. Don't take what I say above too negatively: if you post a wishlist I (for one) may well have a stab at some of the tunes. I'm already being pressured to remix "Frontier" for Mark-Hennessey Barrett :)

Chris
bluefugue
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by bluefugue »

I couldn't predict whether people will be motivated to make Amiga remixes or not, but I think it could happen. Maybe not as many as C64 remixes, but, for instance, I'd love to see good acoustic-instrument versions of the Faery Tale tunes, and who knows what the more "out there" remixers (a la Mahoney) could do with some Amiga themes. Beast, Hybris, Battle Squadron, Sinbad, FOFT, Supremacy, Populous -- there's lots of great stuff out there. (Though some of it can perhaps be "back-doored" into RKO because of C64 ports of certain games.) Of course one problem is that mods don't seem to be as available as Sids -- if there is any central "clearing house" of Amiga mods that has anywhere near the scope of the High Voltage Sid Archive, I'm not aware of it.

Unfortunately I can offer little besides moral support, but good luck, soren! :)
Dr.Future
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Dr.Future »

I'd like an Amiga Remix Scene very much!

The problem I see is this:

On the C64, the best, the most remembered and (so) the most remixed tunes are from games. On the Amiga, the best tunes are imho NOT from games but from Demos, and this makes them a little bit special/not known by everyone. There were always more people that know games than people who knows a special Demo, so it's maybe more difficult to reach a wide public with a remixed song, cause the ausience DON'T KNOW the original...

Just my two cents... :)
Dr.Future - and music will never be the same!
bluefugue
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by bluefugue »

There's lots of good game music though. I know almost nothing about the Amiga demo scene (except a few tunes from years back), but I can still think of a lot of music that could use remixing.

You tantalize me with your talk of all this great demo music, though. Where can I find it? :wink:
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Chris's coments are wise, as they nearly always are, and i have to agree on every aspect of what chris has said.

one factor which i was discussing with markus holler the other day is that the amiga tunes were done using samples, basically there isn't too much imagination left to remix the amiga tunes, apart from improve on the quality.

a factor to be considered is that are musicians wanting to tackle Amiga tunes as remixes, do the tunes offer something that draws the musician to remaking them?
bluefugue
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by bluefugue »

There are several I'd like to try -- Hybris, Battle Squadron, Sinbad & the Throne of the Falcon, and several tunes from Faery Tale Adventure. I don't feel up to the task just yet. I don't know, of course, how the more experienced remixers feel...
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Oh I could think of a BIG BIG number Amiga tunes I'd want to remix. But there's little thing called time that I generally seem to have very little to spare, and when I do have time to spare I waste it on...well...writing messages like this one :)
Dr.Future
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Dr.Future »

Hehe, Honorabili has entered the scene:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AMIGAremix/

Notice his sig: - honorabili (the bane of the c64 remix scene)

:roll:
Dr.Future - and music will never be the same!
M.A.F
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by M.A.F »

Dr.Future wrote:Hehe, Honorabili has entered the scene:

Oh Dear!!

I sent Honorabili an Amiga remix I did last year!!

Ive got a horrible feeling something will happen to my tune!!

But Neil and Glyn also received the tune so I think im safe!!

Touch wood.

M.A.F
honorabili
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Oh really?

Post by honorabili »

Well, MAF actually I'm working on a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of a remix of that song. In the end my goal is to make it sound like pong on crack and also a PC speaker from a 1983 IBM PC that's been blown out.

God, where does honorabili get this material anyways.

Anyways, the only problem for creating the amiga remix central is that we need somebody to donate webspace (and also space that allows mp3 files to be posted and not deleted).

It might also be a good idea to create a site dedicated to the remix of any old electronic related & computer related music that would not only include remixes of all systems but also stuff like Vangelis, Mike Oldfield, Kraftwerk, Kitaro, Phillip Glass, Jarre, etc.

- The Curse and Bane of Honorabili :twisted:
honorabili
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Site

Post by honorabili »

Oh yeah, and for fun I made at cheap site where you can check out a few c64 tunes and amiga remixes.

In the future I will be uploading more remixes there, for many platforms.

http://www.geocities.com/honorabili/

- honorabili is back? Great :shock:
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Max Levin »

Honorabili! Hej! :D
Er... why does your website look so weird? The fonts looks like nothing Ive seen in my whole life