Practice, practice, damn practice tunes

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Practice, practice, damn practice tunes

Post by AndyUK »

I mention a while back, in an email to AnalogX64, about the amount of little one or two bar practice tunes sitting on my hard drive.. Little bits and pieces that develop into the start of a tune, or die a long death covered in dust buried on my HD.. Does anyone else have these damn things filling up space or do the 'proper' musicians here have it all planned it in their head first.. ??

I'm just curious as to how people like Mordi, Daxx etc jump into a new tune, and how they produce so much stuff over the year.. Anyone care to share some of their little tarnished gems?
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Re: Practice, practice, damn practice tunes

Post by Mordi »

Yeah, you're not the only one. I have tons of cringeworthy attempts at remixes and original compositions that never made it into mp3 form. I can upload some when I get home.
Check out my website.
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Doddsy »

I don't have any WIP tune cluttering up my HD.
I tend to hear a sid tune that i'd like to remix and then I decide on a style for it. Once that has been sorted I then focus on the project until it's complete. If it's not working out then I delete it never to be done again and onto the next idea.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I do have some, but not many. I dont have much time to record so when I do, I try to make something out of it and get it to a point so I can release it.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
TNT
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by TNT »

That's exactly what I was thinking about these days. My HD is filled up with hundreds of unfinished tunes. I've got so many ideas and start to create many tracks, but while creating a tune and checking my instrument data bases, other ideas are floating my head and I start to create another tune. Some of them already have a duration of a few minutes, others only consist of a few patterns. There even are finished tracks I'm not satisfied with. At least most of them probably will end up as data junk, but maybe some will get finished one day. Who knows... Meanwhile I try keeping an overview of all of these files.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Discipline pushes you to the end, but I usually adlib my jingles, so distraction's less likely for me. I just block out if trying to learn music, so I simply gather varied instruments and fiddle tunes across them, with the greater variety allowing doodles wildly different. That's how I 'practice'.

If you really can't stretch out, you could try humming to a track which Melodyne (or Junction, if you want it free) then converts to MIDI. But not even I need it that lazy as standard.

When I fiddle around I usually have ideas of how to flesh things if the instruments were used again. This accordion and glass could be beefed up with harmonium and violin accompaniment, or electric guitar mildly overdriven.

BTW, does anybody actually like these things I put up?

Last edited by Commie_User on 25/04/2013 - 0:33, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I enjoy looking at the pictures, sure. Sorry if I don't comment much on them...
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Commie_User wrote: BTW, does anybody actually like these things I put up?]
You have any interesting point of view of things and I always enjoying seeing your posts, there are some stuff you post that I would havet not see or known about otherwise.

Sometimes this place is quiet and a lot of people look at things but dont necessarily comment on them.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Thanks for the input. It's nice to know people like what they read, on top of I know that they read it. I appreciate that a lot.

And that's just as well as I've one or two interesting found sounds I'd like to share tonight. Matched with the sound of congas or drum brushes, I think I'll encounter subtle differences which can be mixed and matched in session.

I put this up for my own reference too but I'd be glad to know what you think. (Though maybe this is more of a match with the virtual instruments thread.)