Gem'X by Chris Huelsbeck

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Seems I'm following a long line of people here who love this glorious classical piece. :)

It's a superb orchestral remix and the praise given here is well deserved. Played it to a colleague at work just now and they said it sounds like a film soundtrack. :D

More of the same please, Markus!

Paul
'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I'm very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'
Markus Schneider
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Markus Schneider »

Thanks Paul and Paul's colleague :-)

Thanks Pex !
Regarding the Mastering I have to say that I thought of using an upward compression to decrease the dynamic headroom. This would be more radio-like listenable with general room noises without adjusting the volume knob. But what was changing my mind. Well, imho Mastering or better Pre-mastering, since Mastering is a manufacturing process, is to get a good dynamic process/variation on several tracks for one album. Or just to correct 'errors' in the mix. So the right decision should be to correct the mix instead of using compression. But I was intentional pleased with the dynamics in the mix that I didn't wanted it to be less dynamic. Listen in silence and you get a wide dynamic headroom from ppp to fff you'll probably never get in other music(styles) :wink: Would like to read you comment here since you are the much more experienced 'Mastering guru' :-)
Markus
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity
Location: Lund, Sweden. Fav colour: White. Fav remix: PPOT Comic

Post by Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson »

Yes, I would like to listen to it in silence. But there's nowhere I can find that without my headphones! :wink:

You are right, Markus. ppp to fff hardly exists anymore. Pop is constantly ff, and "classical pieces" are something like p-ff.

So, I'll go and grab my headphones, and take a serious listening... I'll be right back after these messages...

[insert you favourite Markus Schneider comment here...]
Markus Schneider
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

>>[insert you favourite Markus Schneider comment here...]
Inserting a matter of taste :-)

>>But there's nowhere I can find that without my headphones! :wink:
You are right, and probably Gem'X shows that I love to listen over headphones and prefer them before using speakers. Probably not very common, so I should change mind ?
Markus
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

hmm as an aside i do most of my music wearing headphones.. feels far more intimate and i can "get inside" what im doing... then i do the speaker teste when im finished.

just thought id stick me rusty oar in... and again gr8 remix markus cant champion it enough... simply beautiful.
Xelebes
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Xelebes »

Just to offer a little help here, as I did play the crash and suspended cymbal in band, but I must say the cymbals are too hot. They really hamper the balance there. They should be a lot more subtle but what you have it sounding like the cymbals are in front of the orchestra and not in the back.
Markus Schneider
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Yeah, you are right. I used the same reverb for all percussions, which includes an FFT EQ cutting the high freqs to put it in the back. This then sounds real which means on a full sounding orchestra the cymbals 'stop' much earlier. That's what I noticed listening to a real orchestras. Paradoxically most people seem to like more the 'faked' version and that's why I put them more in front with volume. Anyway I think you are right and I will use them more in the back next times. Now I have a feedback pro real sounding. Thanks for that :)
Markus
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Just an indicator as to the powerful impact of certain remixes...

Been a bit stressed out this week helping my Mum with preparations for moving house so not been in the best of moods. Played this glorious track a few times this week and it always lift my spirits every time.

Paul
Markus Schneider
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Final mix available at:
http://www.vgmix.com/song_view.php?song_id=1262

(with not so hot cymbal and some small dynamic fixed things)
Markus
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

I thought it couldn't get any better but it did! :D

Great work, Markus.

Paul
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

:shock: Wow...
All is lost.
Schlicky
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Help..

Post by Schlicky »

Don't suppose this is stall available somewhere for download please ?
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

it should still be available at vgm and at rko.. just type markus into the rko search engine thingy and it should pop up there if not use the link above im pretty sure its still there.
Eliot
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Eliot »

Infamous wrote:it should still be available at vgm and at rko.. just type markus into the rko search engine thingy and it should pop up there if not use the link above im pretty sure its still there.
it's on RKO.
"Deliverance - Gem'X"

Eliot.