My new Ghosts 'n Goblins remix

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
Scyphe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Scyphe »

razmo wrote:Romeo Knight: ... oh well, the good old Guitar guy vs. Electronica guy debate... guess we'll never agree :lol: ... but as you say; it's up to the individual to decide what they see as the better form of art...

I just felt bad because it sounded like quantization should be bad... now I don't quantize my recordings because I cannot keep up the timing, but because I look for the feel of tight timing (but I usualy keep velocity data unaltered)... now I know that I'm into electronica, and that guitar/bass is a totaly different case, and that people want that natural feel from such music... maybe the topic is really pointless, since it seems like it's two totaly different situations because of the style of the music.
The two different situations doesn't even have to be put against each other. When it comes to taste any discussions tend to be superfluous since taste cannot be used to compete for something. Taste is personal and will never mirror someone else's taste. I love both "organic timing" as well as quantized nanosecond timing, it all depends on the idea and background of the song/remix/cover and if there is some idea behind it all. Playing "live" instruments that you've spent years on practicing isn't "better" than plotting notes in a midi editor or recorded using a keyboard, just different. :)

Oh, Nada, never let the comments to a single remix/cover get to you too much, most of the people listening are probably not well versed in being a musician (fellow musicians excluded) and don't listen to the same things as we do. Just move on to the next idea you have and pursue that. However, I share your anticipation, I have my first publicized cover coming up and I'm sure it will get it's fair share of negative comments. ;)
"...Yes, I DID make modules and demos on the Amiga, but I was never in one of the big groups..."
nada
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by nada »

Perhaps my reaction was a bit on the "pissed off" side and now I feel calmed down.

However, the discussion went on to some very interesting aspects.

Trace's remark was right: "If someone likes for example Hardrock and vote on a Trance remix and say "This is not my kind of music so i put on a puk'ing face then I say, DON'T VOTE on that remix!" But anyway, this is a small problem compare to other. In any case, voting should serve the purpose of feedback, i.e. of giving the creator of the track the appropriate elements to help him get better. That's it and not an ego thing.

Secondly, there comes the big thing: real instruments or programmed music? the answer: both, indeed, are worthy, each for its own reasons. I agree with Romeo Knight's view: "Nothing is wrong with playing keyboards but IMO there's indeed a difference to those who "only" program their music (maybe using a keyboard). The "honor" you're talking about is the fascination for the performance of people who devoted a large amount of lifetime to mastering a musical instrument and their ability to express themselves intuitive through it

Sometimes, though, some musicians get carried away with their technical ability and they end up making "over the top" music with no "deeper" importance and expression. That's quite common, unfortunately.
On the other hand, music programming has its limitations, too.

My view is that the result is what matters. If what you're listening to is good, then who cares about how it's made. But, conjectures on the way something is made and erroneous verdicts are very immature.

That's it from me guys and I am really sorry I stirred such a topic...
Hypocrisy Is The Vaseline Of Social Intercourse
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Nada:

Don't be sorry... it's an open forum, and if people cannot stand that sometimes people air their angers, then they are free to not participate in the topic. I find it a really important topic this one, since you spend much time doin' your stuff on live guitar, and then people think it's programed... people should know this... but maybe you could just have told with a friendly smiley, and things would have been set straight?

That was your initial reason for the topic, the other "offspring" had nothing to do with it, and is another matter :) , but to say a little on that that topic; it's a matter of taste... some like guitars and real instruments played live, others like tight electronic music, and then some like both. You cannot make people like something they don't, and you have to accept that some people don't think before they vote.... that's how it is..

With that said, I would still hope that people vote based on technical skills, rather than their personal musical taste, and that when they make comments.. that they would remember that little "I THINK" as a prefix to their comment. :wink:
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

I think even if you aren't a fan on a specific range of music you are able to give comments from a neutral stance even if you don't like a special style. If the instruments or the arrangement is poor then why not comment on that?

If you don't like rap and you don't have something more to say about a remix apart from: "I don't like rap." , then you don't need to comment on such remixes at all. It's completely irrelevant to other people if I don't like rap.

Such a comment could be used in circumstances to stress out that a remix is pretty cool despite me hating that style of music. So to say: "I can't listen to Elvis all day but I have to admit that he made cool music and this special piece of music is pretty cool because jadda jadda..."

P.S.: Did I already mention that I have so much expertise about music like a cow has about flying?
All is lost.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Vosla: yes, you certainly are welcome to vote... but it makes the average score worthless in the end, since people who's not interrest in your style of music, will detract from the average score (at least some... of course some have the skill to see good music, even though they don't like the style as you say, but certainly others do not! especialy non-musicians I think)... now I'm not saying that this persons vote is wrong! I just say, that for me personaly, I cannot use such a judgment for anything, cause the music was not made with that type of listener in mind... but anyhow his vote counts, and it could mislead you if you believe the average score... I mean, you don't make music just to satisfy the whole world, you usualy have a "niche" of targets that you want to satisfy with your music...

So for me, I simply ignore everything below the yellow smilies... I know my music is average and above, so anyone ranking it lower is most likely someone who has a different view on my music than was intended, or someone who just do not like my style... a yellow smiley to me, is a sign that I could do better, an orange means that I did good, and a red one is a sign of triumf! :) now some might find this approach bolsterous of me, but that's how I see things...

So for me, the SHOUTBOX is much more important because you can see if it comes from someone you know like your style, and thus the info is much more worth to me... if it's just a bunch of anonymous smileys, I do not know which one was from a "target", or a "not target".

The average score just does not tell you if it faithfuly represent your target audience, which is what I'm interrested in. That's how I see it.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Reyn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: My new Ghosts 'n Goblins remix

Post by Reyn »

Just again a great remix!!!

R.
arkanoiz
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Re: My new Ghosts 'n Goblins remix

Post by arkanoiz »

nada wrote:I am really pissed off.

If, indeed, any of you believes that my remixes are not original, then I will have to stop uploading my work to RKO or anywhere else.
:?:

Your remix took another piece in making me realize that also acustic remixes are good. I arrived here just because I liked the sound of Sid (and obviously the best music done with it), and I still prefer original Sid sound remixes, but... good music is good music. That's the ultimate test, mate. And your tune defenly (how the hell this word spells? :evil: ) _is_ good music.
Some people just don't have enought taste to appreciate. Why care about it?
Some people just have different tastes. Why care about them too?
Ez man!
Let the people to stfu and please, make another tune! :cake: