Monkey Island Theme Remix

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
generalumber
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Monkey Island Theme Remix

Post by generalumber »

Take a listen to my Monkey Island Remix, at YouTube, in glorious mono 64kbps.
Oh well. :?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIRnA6eJfH0
How I loved to play that game...
generalumber
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Re: Monkey Island Theme Remix

Post by generalumber »

ekl

Post by ekl »

Just registered here to say: amazing remix ! Percussive and very fine-grained.

What equipment did you use ? Is it just an old single chip-synthesizer ?
generalumber
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by generalumber »

ekl wrote:Just registered here to say: amazing remix ! Percussive and very fine-grained.

What equipment did you use ? Is it just an old single chip-synthesizer ?
Thanks! It's actually Max/MSP with ProTools. All in the box.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

To be honest, I don't really see how this is an improvement? To me it sounds like a General MIDI version of the original, with a minimal addition of some extra chirps.

Quite frankly, a three headed monkey could've done it. Sorry.
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
generalumber
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by generalumber »

Makke wrote: To be honest, I don't really see how this is an improvement? To me it sounds like a General MIDI version of the original, with a minimal addition of some extra chirps.
Quite frankly, a three headed monkey could've done it. Sorry..

How appropriate, you fight like a cow.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

generalumber wrote:How appropriate, you fight like a cow.
I am rubber, you are glue.
:cheers:
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
generalumber
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by generalumber »

8)
generalumber
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by generalumber »

Seriously mate, I must admit that I was very surprised to be welcomed here like that. This is my first contribution to this place, and I expected people to either
a) say something nice
or
b) say something constructive.
Your reply was none of the above, so I wonder why you even bothered to sit down and type. What you're criticising is simply my style of making music (as you can tell by that other remix I've just uploaded, "Goldrunner").
I designed and coded those "General MIDI"-sounds, as you call them, from scratch in Max/MSP (which I'm sure even a three-headed monkey couldn't), and I transcribed the music from memory. I really tried to make a fresh version of that theme while still staying as faithful and respectful to the original composition as possible.
ekl

Post by ekl »

:lol: no insult swordfighting here plz ^^

I'm a fan of pure sounds , micro-harmonics and a funky , driving retro-analog-percussion, as pretty often seen in demos. ok, honestly the original was already very good before. anything but changing something in detail would have been an insult ;) Actually you have been very successfull with 'freshing up' the original. Found your youtube-video by coincidence and your remix was very catchy at once. Great sound assembly.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

generalumber wrote:Seriously mate, I must admit that I was very surprised to be welcomed here like that. This is my first contribution to this place, and I expected people to either
a) say something nice
or
b) say something constructive.
A) I'm sorry if you were offended. That wasn't my intention. However, if you publish something publicly the first lesson you need to learn is that people will criticize your work. If you ask for opinions, you'll get them. But yes, my criticism may have been a bit harsh. I guess it's just because people here generally are more used to straight shooting, but I can see how my post could be seen as offensive. For that I apologize.

B) I'm not sure I can say anything more constructive about your "remix" since I disagree with the entire concept. But since you asked for more detail, I hope you won't be offended by my continued rambling. You're welcome to ignore it if you don't feel there's any truth to it.
If you have designed those sounds yourself, then good job! They're nice sounds, but to me they don't sound any different from the MIDI-sounds of the PC original, which in my opinion makes the remix pointless (kind of like some SID+drums remixes we see on RKO for example). Why would I want to listen to your remix instead of the original? I think, and this is my own personal opinion, a remix should either come from a completely different angle than the original source (i.e. completely different style or sound), or at least give the original source an updated coat. Your remix does neither, in my opinion, and thus I fail to see the point.

As I can see we're in complete and utter disagreement here, and I'm suspecting in a continued debate we'd only end up in a loop of "I'm right, you're wrong"-kind of posts. Which would be pointless since both of us are right, as we're basing our arguments on subjective thinking, i.e. personal taste.

ekl conveniently joined the forum to congratulate you on your excellent remix, and there's your proof that you obviously don't need to please me, as I don't seem to be part of your target audience.
ekl wrote:I'm a fan of pure sounds , micro-harmonics and a funky , driving retro-analog-percussion, as pretty often seen in demos.
And what a wonderful world it is, when different opinions are allowed. :)
PhunkyData
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by PhunkyData »

I agree to Makke in every point
Where is the "real" Remix at all?
A SceneSat staff member and DJ

It's always been a gift with me, hearing music the way I do. I don't know where it comes from, it's just there and I don't question it.
(Miles Davis)